The dunes

They're fun a few times. But in my opinion, its all the same. Moonride. Go big or have no fun. If you don't jump its half the fun. And if you don't have a paddle you're sitting sidelines. Desert has more variety. And if I'm driving out there, I want variety. The dunes are cool. But there's more for me to do in the desert. In first gear. In sand I'm in fifth flying everywhere. Wide open all day. There's sandy washes, there's Blowsand Hill. There's soft stuff out there. But trails right next to them.

A small amount of people on this forum live near or ride sand dunes.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, notoriousE-R-I-C said:

They're fun a few times. But in my opinion, its all the same. Moonride. Go big or have no fun. If you don't jump its half the fun. And if you don't have a paddle you're sitting sidelines. Desert has more variety. And if I'm driving out there, I want variety. The dunes are cool. But there's more for me to do in the desert. In first gear. In sand I'm in fifth flying everywhere. Wide open all day. There's sandy washes, there's Blowsand Hill. There's soft stuff out there. But trails right next to them.

A small amount of people on this forum live near or ride sand dunes.

Sand is an acquired taste and going big requires "risk tolerance" that many older rides can't justify.  Still awesome and beautiful even if stay on the ground,  paddles are nice but a good knobbie works fine.   Go out and have a blast.

• Like 2

I go.  I have been going for many years.  I recently got my son into going and next week I have a few more friends trying it out as well.

I don't do big gap jumps.  As much as I would like to, I'm 51 years old and don't bounce anymore.  I do like to jump and I like duning, but I don't just go to find the biggest jump I can make.  Admittedly, I like to go two, maybe three times per year and I'm done.  Some of the best parts about going is the time with friends out there and because it is something that I can only do a few times per year, that is probably why it is still entertaining to me.  If I could do it every day, I would get bored of it.

I run a 10 paddle.  Two paddles in the sand, always.  Lots of traction, even too much if the sand is fluffy.

Dave

I always ran a paddle tire when I went to Glamis on a bike. Most of my time in Glamis though was spent on a quad. I had a Banshee and a YFZ 450. It was mainly family trips.

I did enjoy breaking out the bike though :D

IMG_0848.jpg

• Like 6

Me and my kids went to Glamis bout a year ago. I wanted to go for years but needed to wait till the kids were on big bikes. All species of bikes were represented. 125 2S 250R and my 450R  

We had a blast. One thing I did not expect is to ONTHEGAS HARD the entire day. Want to go again. 

• Like 1

You need a paddle in dunes. Or you won't have fun. Maybe knbbies on a desert trail that occasionally you plow through a sandy wash but you don't work as much with a paddle and have twice as much fun. A knobbie in sand is half the fun and twice the work.

Time with friends is better than the ride.

On the gas the entire day says it right.

I like low end torque through thumpy singletrail.

Good time. Its just over fast for me.

Repetetive

• Like 2

I always ran a paddle tire when I went to Glamis on a bike. Most of my time in Glamis though was spent on a quad. I had a Banshee and a YFZ 450. It was mainly family trips.

I did enjoy breaking out the bike though

IMG_0848.thumb.jpg.6dea2eb1d7cb30ca7092208d0f9e9b4e.jpg

That Banshee looks a lot like mine lol, is it a ‘93? I’d like to go to the dunes someday, it seems like you need a trailer to go with you to stay in too. That’s a little too rich for my blood lol.
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, ASP1227 said:

That Banshee looks a lot like mine lol, is it a ‘93? I’d like to go to the dunes someday, it seems like you need a trailer to go with you to stay in too. That’s a little too rich for my blood lol.

I believe the Banshee was a '92.  There are guys that tent it out there, but a lot of the times they end up in Oz when the wind picks up......Auntie M, Auntie M, its a twister

• Like 2

Yeah I don’t know about tenting lol. Maybe a hotel or something, but they’d have to let me put my bike in my room ;). But in all seriousness I’d like to make it out to the dunes some day. BTW that second pic just popped up, that’s a badass CR500, ‘86ish I’m guessing right? I’ve got an ‘86 250 I’m trying to fix, cant wait to get it running.

I go.  In fact, we're headed to Glamis for the Xmas New Years week.  We sometimes do Glamis and sometimes Dumont.  Dumont has it's own forum call Dumont Dune Riders that's pretty active.

• Like 1

I Don't always ride the dunes ...

But when I do ....

I go Huge !

Don't need a paddle to have fun ....

CIrca 1998 ish   Pismo Brah and take notice of the LBZ queer gear. HA 

IMG_0819.JPG

Edited by Hallzilla
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, ASP1227 said:

I just recently moved from Arizona to California.  There are about three different circles of RVs/Toyhaulers from the Sierra Vista/Tucson area that stay in Ogilby during Thanksgiving.  It's toward the southern end of the dunes.  My son and I are staying in a hotel in Yuma.  It's about a 20 minute drive to Ogilby from there.  I have an enclosed trailer so I leave that at the dunes with my friends.  The bikes are locked inside.  Back and forth to Yuma is just with the truck, faster and easier.

There are expenses with this method but not horrible, and not any worse than hauling a toyhauler all the way there and back.  I do have to pay for the few night stay at the hotel.  The benefits to that is I get a sand-free room, a pool, plenty of water to waste if I want, and restaurants nearby.  The downside is that I end up being the guy that picks up ice for everyone every morning, haha.

This method gets me to the dunes and I don't have the yearly expense of RV ownership.  I get a few days worth of riding for two nights stay each trip.  I get my fill of the dunes without feeling that I NEED to go more to justify RV ownership.  The enclosed trailer is my usual bike hauler so I get my money's worth out of that almost weekly.

Dave

• Like 2

I've been to glamis a few times 25 years ago. We used to use the monster Terriflex tires on the CR500's they worked ok. It also depends on if they got any moisture out there. However a paddle is supreme and the ultimate experience throwing 50' roosters. Making the Shewheelers eat some heavy roost. Had many of them with some sandblasted teeth. :lol:

• Like 1

Yeah I don’t know about tenting lol. Maybe a hotel or something, but they’d have to let me put my bike in my room . But in all seriousness I’d like to make it out to the dunes some day. BTW that second pic just popped up, that’s a badass CR500, ‘86ish I’m guessing right? I’ve got an ‘86 250 I’m trying to fix, cant wait to get it running.

Are you closer to Glamis or Oregon? I know you've said central valley.

I Don't always ride the dunes ...

But when I do ....

I go Huge !

Don't need a paddle to have fun ....

CIrca 1998 ish   Pismo Brah and take notice of the LBZ queer gear. HA 
IMG_0819.JPG.03caa9144b52a1e5cf9c21db23770bf8.JPG

I don't always ride sand but when I do, I always Flat Brim bro. Screenshot_20171117-063550.jpg
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, HeavyRotation said:

I don't always ride sand but when I do, I always Flat Brim bro. Screenshot_20171117-063550.jpg

Gots to, and don't forget the monster energy tat bro.

• Like 1

Are you closer to Glamis or Oregon? I know you've said central valley.

Glamis I think, Pismo is the name I usually here around here.
  • Like 1

Duning to a desert rider is like discussing bank shots on a Putt Putt outing with a Pro Golfer.  It's just not the same thing.  :smirk:

• Like 3