Front brake ever give up on you?

Was just remembering after seeing a front brake thread and wanna see if this ever happened to any of you fellers,  Was racing at broometioga think was my last Moto of day . Uphill rough long strait to a uphill step up table top pretty big but in 4th gear so pretty much coast it. Have to be set up in air ready to brake hard to make inside downhill sharp left then big downhill drop off.fast part of track. My front brake went to the bar when I landed but only once the next pump it was there . Scared shit out of me :facepalm:lol.was split second if didn't it come back that second pump I would've been in trouble.  never did it again I raced 4 motos and practice week later and honestly didn't even think about it :devil: till now. I only use my pointer finger on brake adjust lever out so can use other fingers to hold sharp. Yz 450 is 11'  50hrs.  Anyone ever had front brake give out like that and ideas to why?? Thanks

Two thing cause that.  You overheated it and cooked the fluid or you hit something pushing the pads/caliper away from the rotor.  The latter from what you describe is probably what happened.

 

7 minutes ago, mikedabike said:

Two thing cause that.  You overheated it and cooked the fluid or you hit something pushing the pads/caliper away from the rotor.  The latter from what you describe is probably what happened.

 

There is a 4th gear downhill into sharp uphill right.  Same as when pros raced there. But ya you're Prob right thanks for reply mike. Funny I totally forgot about it after. Only did it that one first stab at it soon as landed.  I did check for wet spot soon as put on stand no leaks. Man it was that split sec oh shit feeling lol :thumbsup: no way I would've made corner with my weigh set up for hard front brake rear wouldn't done nothing.  Glad it was there next pump. Made me miss inside rut tho

Edited by Motox367

Yup, sounds like the pads got pushed back a little. Can happen on a sport bike from a hard headshake, so probably ways to do it on a dirt bike too.

6 minutes ago, OLHILLBILLY said:

Yup, sounds like the pads got pushed back a little. Can happen on a sport bike from a hard headshake, so probably ways to do it on a dirt bike too.

Alot of woodchips at that track bet was one of them now you guys say that :thumbsup: had it happen in past but because of someone else's bike hits the line at caliper makes it suck air for sec. But this was just in heat of moment in a very fast section.  From 4th pinned to hard breJump slows you down some but still. Wish had vid its really cool . Got to "Ride with your balls out" as we say round here :ride: Thanks for reply :thumbsup: nothing wrong with a good old hillbilly :thumbsup: some of the best men I know 

Head shake on a street bike rattling the pads so hard it push the piston back sounds pretty gnarly. My goodness! :crazy:

1 hour ago, Smokey-McCringleberry said:

Head shake on a street bike rattling the pads so hard it push the piston back sounds pretty gnarly. My goodness! :crazy:

Set a wheelie down wrong is what usually does the trick on the street. A near highside at the track can do it too. Think it was in WSS this year, one of the guys had a big enough tank slapper incident that it dislocated one of his shoulders and put him out for a couple races.. 

I've had that in mud before. Now I will drag the front and rear brakes a bit to make sure they are functional when I need them when it's really muddy. 

I've had a front brake fail due to leaky fork seals. 

Of course, you'll never find out something doesn't work until you need it the most. 

12 minutes ago, MarioThePlumber said:

I've had a front brake fail due to leaky fork seals. 

Of course, you'll never find out something doesn't work until you need it the most. 

For sure :thumbsup: ive seen that on others bikes I wouldn't be able to ride it like that front brake has to work good with just one finger for me anyway. Had problem one time on yz250 brakes just weren't right until lap then would work but not like new. I put a set of ebc pads on . back to oem Nissan pads and one finger. I changed everything even braided line rebuilt master,and caliper.  Was pads lol but man first corners were hairy for little while :ride:

tweaked the disc one time and that spread the pads lost the brakes for a moment.

12 minutes ago, slideleft said:

tweaked the disc one time and that spread the pads lost the brakes for a moment.

Gets the heart rate up doesn't it lol 

happens a lot in the wet snow, lets you find out how fast you can really take the corners haha

26 minutes ago, Wild Alaskan said:

happens a lot in the wet snow, lets you find out how fast you can really take the corners haha

Lol ya hopefully something there to stick it to :ride:

21 hours ago, Motox367 said:

Gets the heart rate up doesn't it lol 

I short track and ice race so since we don't use a front brake I adjust , but yes that moment of "Oh crap" will change your out look.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now