Xr250r square vs round tube frame

Hey guys, so forewarning I am brand new to the forum, brand new to the bike, and brand new to motorcycles in general. I just picked up a 96 xr for $175 all torn apart, with an extra frame and a ton of extra parts.

my question is, one of the frames I got was round tubing, the other frame with all the plastics and engine is square tubing. I haven't found any info online about this, is the second frame maybe from a different bike? Mounting points for various accessories look identical. 

Any info is appreciated!

Edited by Ramennoodles

around 1996 they went from wet sump to dry sump with oil in frame. 

the later model has the oil filler on the main cross member just before the steering head and i think this has squarer tubing if my XR400 is anything to go by

post some pics would be good

$175 is a steal

the built up one is post 1996 dry sump. the spare frame is earlier. some parts are interchangeable but many are not.

In the uk there is better availability of the later parts, my 1991 XR250 can be challenging to find bits for.

• Like 2

I've been kinda mentally preparing for the parts I need and making a little eBay shopping list, there's also a guy in my area that he says has 1,000s of bikes that I've been contacting for misc parts, so this is all shaping up to be a good project, learning how bikes work is going to be my biggest challenge coming from drag racing and building mustangs etc. thanks for the info!

absolute bargain!!! cheap is a good way to start leaves more bucks for learning and parts. if you don't have a workshop manual get one theyr worth there weight in gold.

and yes agreed with 96 up dry sump. the other red frame looks like its 80s great score though nice one.?

do the frames have a compliance plate/identification tag on the head tube? the year of manufacture will be on the plate. example pic frame no and compliance plate.

compliance plate.png

2 hours ago, BetaDale said:

The red frame looks to be a Yamaha XT.  The give away is Mono Cross decal on swing arm 

Probably also the Yamaha written on the tool bag  :goofy:

8 hours ago, Ramennoodles said:

IMG_1811.JPG

Any frame number on this one ?

Edited by S.O.A.N.Z

Tenth digit of the VIN is the model year code:

Here is the list:

Z = 1979
A = 1980
B = 1981
C = 1982
D = 1983
E = 1984
F = 1985
G = 1986
H = 1987
J = 1988
K = 1989
L = 1990
M = 1991
N = 1992
P = 1993
R = 1994
S = 1995
T = 1996
V = 1997
W = 1998
X = 1999
Y = 2000 ??
1 = 2001
2 = 2002
3 = 2003
4 = 2004

There are other codings in the VIN for the mfg, assembly plant, model, engine, etc.

On 11/16/2017 at 7:01 PM, arthur6 said:

The square frame XR250s are faster than the round frame bikes for sure

Yes because:
Better suspension than earlier XR250Rs.
Engine with more power than earlier XR250Rs.

I think the red frame chassis could be a much earlier open cradle frame XR/XL; the VIN year code would help, also position 4-7 of the VIN is the Honda model code.

Thank you guys for speedy responses, so in my own stupidity I didn't even realize the tag on the neck says YAMAHA pretty clearly... whoops!! 

Now that hat that's been solved, if olny I could get this dang bike started, and shifting into gear :banghead:

and here she is with the rear wheel mounted, looking pretty 

IMG_1835.JPG

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...