New Dual Sports & SuperMoto from Italian SWM Motors

SWM Motors of Italy has said that for 2018, they'll make 5 models available for the US market. They are made in the same factory that Husqvarna was using before KTM bought them.

All bikes will be 50 state DOT certified. More info at: https://www.motomandistributing.com/swm

What do you think? What's your favorite? And, would you seriously consider any of them?

SWM-_RS500R_MY18web.jpg
SWM RS500R
$7,795

SWM-SUPERDUAL_T_Blackweb.jpg

2018 SWM SuperDual T 17"/19"
$8,995.00

SWM-SUPERDUAL_X_Red-2web.jpg

2018 SWM SuperDual X - 18"/21"
$8,995.00

SWM_RS300R_MY18web.jpg

2018 SWM RS300R
$7,495.00

SWM_SM-500-R-MY18web.jpg

2018 SWM SM500R
$8,495.00

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BoxcarWilly said:

These are basically the old Italian Huskies correct? I really liked how the 2010(?) 150 handled.

I'd love to try that 300 at a National Enduro!

The 300 looks to be based on the original 310 motor rather than the newer, lighter-weight 310. IIRC, the older one had the same bottom end as the 450 and was quite the pig.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sierra_rider said:

The 300 looks to be based on the original 310 motor rather than the newer, lighter-weight 310. IIRC, the older one had the same bottom end as the 450 and was quite the pig.

I rode a 2009 310 too and didn't mind it, it had an awful bog on the bottom though and I'd definitely agreed that it stood to lose a few pounds.

I have a 2009 310 and found it to be a great trail bike. Reliable as hell. And I’ve had no problem getting parts. The xlite had all kinds of problems. If SMW can retain that same reliability and keep the price down I think they’ll have a great niche for the weekend warrior - however not the best competition bike. 

Parts were easy to get for my 07 te450, I'd just call up the same dealer I get my Beta parts from, and they would be at my door within the week. Granted, I didn't have to buy many oem parts for it, as the bikes are somewhat overbuilt. The only reasons I sold it, were because it was majorly overweight, I wanted EFI, and the gearing isn't great on the Italian Huskies. You can gear it to cruise comfortably on the roads or to have low gearing for goat trails, but not both. 

I will say that the SWM's have their niche. I'm sure they are capable of longer service intervals than Beta and new Husky/Ktm's, and will cost about $2k+ less new. If you want a street-legal race bike, the Beta and new Huskies will be a better choice, but I think the SWM will be perfect for a non-racer who still wants a bike that is more capable offroad than a drz.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2017 at 10:07 AM, Bryan Bosch said:

They are made in the same factory that Husqvarna was using

As a fyi that doesn't mean crap. That's literally the same as me using Wayne Gretzky's hockey stick to play a game, doesn't mean I'm any good with it.

Some company (in any industry) can rent the same equipment as a successful counterpart but that doesn't mean they used the same quality materials, design plans, production standards, etc.

22 minutes ago, Kompact said:

As a fyi that doesn't mean crap. That's literally the same as me using Wayne Gretzky's hockey stick to play a game, doesn't mean I'm any good with it.

Some company (in any industry) can rent the same equipment as a successful counterpart but that doesn't mean they used the same quality materials, design plans, production standards, etc.

Never said it did. It's a factoid from their press release, nothing more, nothing less.

Oh, I wasn't attacking you, it was obvious that was a copy/paste press release. I just meant that in general.

It's not just the same factory. They bought everything and they are exact copies of the 2010 husky.  I am sure they have made minor updates to them but very minor.  The bikes of that era were good or bad.  When they went it was very expensive to fix.  

I would consider one but won't go as far to say id buy one without really getting a good look.

HI guys

Let me know when you will ride these SMW's.

Mine is going to trails in may . SO some aftermarket parts might help ( IMS tanks)

jry.jpg