2012 500 exc starting issues

On 17.2.2018 at 11:50 PM, Spud786 said:

If the .665 is horrible, You might try, just backing off the stop screw, without manually readjusting the tps, as the set screw will be taking the tps Down as your closing the throttle plate, as then you might halt the screw at .63 and try that.

But it would be of interest, .665 result

Bumped it up to .665 yesterday and went for a ride. backfires are gone, but seems like its still have the same starting issues but turning the engine a bit less when long cranking is accure. as before, if ill start it right after i shutted it down itll fire up quick. If ill wait more then 1 minute the cranking will be longer and longer.
here are 2 videos that shows this - 1st is how it starts fast each time i start it again after few seconds - 

The 2nd video shows what happens after 2 minutes its been off, and if ill wait longer the cranking might allso be longer (quite short in the video relativly to the usual long cranks), and if ill start it again right after, no problem-

Im still suspecting the fuel injector but the only way to know is to replace it so ill go this rout after ill mess with the TB adjustments to a point it doesnt change nothing, wich is close by the looks of it. 

Edited by Earthmover

How is the throttle performance with the .665 compared to your previous setting, or even your original setting?

So with two different throttle plate settings, and various tps settings, the starting issue really hasnt changed, or maybe a tad better with latest changes?

Throttle response at .665 is similar as before with the .63 after iv setted the throttle plate and got a performance gain. no loss there.

As far as for starting the engine it might be cracking a bit less but i didnt had the chance to check it on a few houres of ride in wich im shutting it down more than one or two times and start it back up.

Ill test it this weekend and see if there is any improvment or not.

Edited by Earthmover

Does your bike have a key?  if so and your in that period of long cranking ,  if you crank 3 revolutions or 1.5 seconds and it doesn't start . stop turn key off , turn back on till full prime and try again, curious if that makes a difference.

Quick update - 2 days ago i rode the bike, today iv replaced the sparkplug and the old one came out wet with fuel wich again leads me to leaking injector. I dont think im gonna mess with the tps again as the bike performs well and the injector is the main suspect right now, but ill test it in this weekend anyway.

Edited by Earthmover

• 3 weeks later...

So heres a final positive update. Since iv changed the sparkplug the bike starts excellent at warm or cold weather. I took the time to test it in more than a few rides and it seems like now everything works well. Didnt touched the TB or the TPS since the last time.

Thanks everyone for the comments and especially to Spud the stud who dont miss any tech thread ! Thank you.

Edited by Earthmover
  • Like 1

After all that it was the plug? I read this whole thread with steam coming off my head thinking of what it could be. The ending is like one of those coffee house hipster movies. Lol. 

Im glad it worked out for you, reading things like this does wonders for everyone’s little mechanical minds. I think it is great knowledge for any future mechanical issues we will all inevitably have. 

Comgrats ride safe.

It wasnt just the plug as iv had this problem since day one and i did changed the plug early on and it didnt quite helped.

I belive that the big difference came with the new TB stopper bolt and tps adjustment proceedure mentioned in the thread, and the spark plug was just old and needed to be replaced earlier on.

As for knowledge gathered in thread like this i agree and thats why i kept updating as im sure some people will use something from here sometime.

Cheers

Edited by Earthmover

14 hours ago, Earthmover said:

It wasnt just the plug as iv had this problem since day one and i did changed the plug early on and it didnt quite helped.

I belive that the big difference came with the new TB stopper bolt and tps adjustment proceedure mentioned in the thread, and the spark plug was just old and needed to be replaced earlier on.

As for knowledge gathered in thread like this i agree and thats why i kept updating as im sure some people will use something from here sometime.

Cheers

Awesome. I got to the end before I could offer any suggestions although they were limited as it was all covered. Nice to see a true group effort. Now you can fully enjoy that beast. Happy trails!