Baja Light Kit in conjunction with Tusk

Hey all,

I utilize a Baja Light Kit but am looking to add a rear brake light in addition to just the turn signals which come along with the Baja kits. Theoretically, can I utilize a Tusk rear fender brake light in conjunction with the Baja system. It seems to me that I would have to employ two different switching systems on my handlebars to allow this as well as wire the rear fender brake light in a different way. Am I just a little crazy in the attempt of something like this?

Take power from the switched power source of the BD headlight, to the tail light, that power will also run through a brake switch then to the brake light and a sufficient ground to complete the circuit. It's a very good idea to utilize a relay, use the OEM key switch to activate the relay and pull power directly from the battery for any additional electrical accessories.  For an F model with stock stator, a volt meter is a welcomed addition as well to make sure that your accessories are not exceeding the stator capabilities to maintain the battery.   The headlight switch from the tusk kit has a off position which I use when trail riding and the light is not needed. 

Edited by NEODS

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

• Similar Content

• By photonicreno
      Hi all!

I've got an issue, one of many when it comes to bikes. I searched throughout all the pages I could find pertaining to my situation and couldn't find very much useful information.
      So the issue is, the bike has no electric start.... until it's hot enough to melt steel that is. It will bump start first time every time. But I can sit and crank the starter over for ever and it'll never start until the charger is bumped up past 200 amps. Not good.

The story so far,
      Got the bike for 1k cash. Guy said it has no spark and no second gear. This particular guy also only ever rode newer crotch rockets. Brought it home pulled the choke, attached battery charger and she fired right up. Ran like absolute crap, but oh well I figure it's an older bike with only 10k miles so it probably needs a good carb cleaning. Took the carb apart and didn't know I messed something up until way later(didn't tighten down main jet). Oh well she runs well enough if I can get her started. Moved from California to Oklahoma. Eventually found the money to fix 2nd gear, and as I am a certified Honda small engine technician apprentice I figured it would be no big deal. Completely tore down engine to it's roots replaced 2nd, and 5th gear(because 5th gear connects to 2nd on the countershaft) dogs were worn pretty badly on both. The engine looked quite good compared to most others I've seen. Put the engine back together as per the service manual. Did all the right steps including loosening the banjo bolts to test for proper oil pressure. I even tore apart the electric starter to clean the contacts and the brushes and replace the dielectric grease. Adjusted the valves as per the service manual, replaced all gaskets, o-rings, seals, and oil filter.
       Finally after about a month of waiting on parts and reassembly I get to start her, only she doesn't. Electric start is still giving me the same issues I've always had. So I replaced the Ignition coil, CDI box, and put a new battery in, plus the starter motor rebuild. Nothing. Still cranks forever. I said what the heck and tried to push it slightly down hill and bump start it, and voila... fired right up! Once she gets hot enough and the stator charges the battery enough it'll electric start... sometimes.
       So I looked towards ignition, used a tool called ignition mate. Pretty awesome tool if you can afford it. Well while cranking the ignition mate reads the spark plug is getting 1-4kw of "spark" every cycle, well it only fires after getting up past 5kw sometimes 6-8kw. And sometimes the ignition would be intermittent as in it wouldn't give any spark at all. I cycle the ignition and it seems to soft reset the bike as it will usually give it back spark. I tested this with the new and old CDI box, the old one would never spark. Ever. So I threw it in the trash. A month later I stil l can't figure it out.
       Is there something I'm missing?

TL;DR
      Bike won't start using electric start only bump start before and after engine rebuild
      Electric start works after pushing the starter past about 200 cold cranking amps or when hot.

• By GreenMT_Rider
      30 years ago I sold my beloved 1985 CR500. I was young and needed money for a car. I had a lot of fun on that bike and some of the best dirt bike memories were made on it. Out of all the bikes I've owned it's the only one I regret selling. I've had opportunities to buy a 85 cr500 before but never pulled the trigger figuring leave the fond memories in the past. Well today I couldn't pass up the bike any longer. I found me a nice project bike to take up some free winter time. The bike is all there and it runs but most importantly it was cheap. Not the prettiest but it's mine. With lots of money and time it shall be returned to it's former glory and be ready to make some new memories.

• By Ktm520sxrider
      Ready to seal back up

• By hondahondo
      A few picks of my winter project.

• By Big64N
      Good condition with a long list of high end upgrade parts.
      Rekluse EXP 3.0 with cover and slave
      EVO- Ellensburg suspension tuning for 6' 200# expert rider
      Fork bleeders
      Trail-tech map switch
      Moose 1-1/8 flex bar
      CYCRA probend bar guards
      SXS skid plate with linkage plate
      Clutch and water pump guards
      Frame guards
      Fastway Evolution III pegs
      SRT Pro Armor radiator and rear rotor guards
      Acerbic Front rotor guard
      TM designs chain guides
      DID race chain
      Renthal sprockets
      Gripper seat
      FMF F-bomb header
      Dirt Tricks timing chain tensioner
      Pro Wheel, wheels
      Tubliss front and rear
      New top end and valve adjustment 60 hours old
      Many more aftermarket parts as well as spare parts and service manuals included in the sale.  Willing to include 4 sets of tires with 80% tread left for full price.
      Great bike with plenty of life left and set up for anything from single track woods to wide open dessert.
      Can hang with any of the 450's but is much easier to handle in the tight woods.
      Priced to sell at $6000.00 
      Willing to consider reasonable offers but no trades or carry.