Financing a brand new Beta X-trainer?

8 minutes ago, basalt said:

Are you really that stupid? Telling someone to save and not borrow is bad advice?

No one needs any of that. Why do you need a credit card? To get a credit score? Why do you need a credit score? To borrow someone else's money. Why do you need to borrow someone else's money?

To buy property? Did you win yours in the lottery or do you intend to pay rent till you die?

17 minutes ago, MadBro said:

To buy property? Did you win yours in the lottery or do you intend to pay rent till you die?

You don't need a credit score to borrow for a home or property. There is this thing called manual underwriting. It is how loans were originally done - where they actually analyse how much you make and how much you owe and give you a realistic loan instead of loans that lead to the collapse of the housing market and 100s of thousands of families having to short sell or foreclose. You can't believe what that banks and your "credit score" tell you.

You all can absolutely do whatever you want. I am only sharing my advice. Just don't say it is bad advice to save and not borrow.

These two graphs are not a coincidence.

102014-wealth-web-03.jpg

debt.jpg

And studies show you will spend more, simply using a credit card. It does not matter if you pay it off every month.:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-science-behind-behavior/201607/does-it-matter-whether-you-pay-cash-or-credit-card

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/credit-cards/credit-cards-make-you-spend-more/

Edited by basalt
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, basalt said:

You don't need a credit score to borrow for a home or property. There is this thing called manual underwriting. It is how loans were originally done - where they actually analyse how much you make and how much you owe and give you a realistic loan instead of loans that lead to the collapse of the housing market and 100s of thousands of families having to short sell or foreclose

Or you could just buy your groceries on a credit card and pay it off like an adult.

Loans didn't crash the market. Government insuring loans crashed the market.

18 minutes ago, basalt said:

You can't believe what that banks and your "credit score" tell you.

... but we're supposed to trust you?

You keep stashing your bullion under the bed.

Don't care if you believe me or not. Those graphs don't lie. Housing collapse doesn't lie. Stock Market double what it was in 2008, yet there is far more homeless in every town then there was in 2008. Credit and borrowing will not increase your wealth.

Not sure if you replied before I linked the articles, but read them. You spend more using your CC than cash. The CC companies know what they are doing. Good for you if you have more discipline than the average american if you don't spend more. I commend you for that. It should be easy for you to save and practice delayed gratification then.

Thanks for trying to insult me by saying I stuff money in a mattress, but I never said not to invest.

Edited by basalt
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, basalt said:

Don't care if you believe me or not. Those graphs don't lie. Housing collapse doesn't lie. Stock Market double what it was in 2008, yet there is far more homeless in every town then there was in 2008. Credit and borrowing will not increase your wealth.

Not sure if you replied before I linked the articles, but read them. You spend more using your CC than cash. The CC companies know what they are doing. Good for you if you have more discipline than the average american if you don't spend more. I commend you for that. It should be easy for you to save and practice delayed gratification then.

Thanks for trying to insult me by saying I stuff money in a mattress, but I never said not to invest.

You called me stupid, lol.

My point about the parent analogy is that we should be teaching people how to manage money/debt, not to be afraid of it. People are going to spend money either way. They should have the tools to do it wisely. We teach kids how to write crappy japanese poems in school, but no one knows how credit scores or the stock market works.

Its only natural that people spend more with a credit card because they don't have the visual of their balance approaching zero. I'm not denying the graphs. Those are just numbers. They don't provide the solution.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 230 Sausage said:

I don't think I've read a single comment so far that denounces either the XT or RR. But the XT is cheaper and I'm just a little guy, so I think that's where it's at for me. I can get aggressive occasionally, but I'll bet the XT can handle it fine.

Honestly the xt is not designed to go fast and a bunch of guys thought that just a few mods would make the Xtrainer on par with the rr. Thats been with whole new front forks and ohlins shock and different pipe etc. There’s a big question on really where you are as far as riding ability and what you would rather have between an xtrainer and a Beta rr. Some are fine with the Xtrainer but alot will like the versatility of an rr to be more stable in fast terrain. Guys say the Xtrainer can get squirilly going faster. Maybe you will think the Xtrainer is fine but there have been a bunch that have decided that the rr is better after buying an xtrainer. That’s why I figured you might spend time reading threads.. so you are more aware. From what I can tell where you ride isn’t a majority of technical riding. Bottom line has to go to you and if you are riding more open trails or not. I ride my 300 rr in tight ugly and wider open trails. . I could ride an xtrainer but it would limit what I could ride and race overall. I’m just telling you this to get a heads. Up... Read more threads and you might understand what Im talking about.

• Like 4

I don't know...Morgan Tanke killed it last year on her XTrainer. Her race bike was up for sale earlier this year and I regret not buying it.
$8,000 for a factory race bike. I should of pulled the trigger.
But I didn't have 8K in my pocket.
Well I did but I just couldn't get my head around writing that check.
But if I could have financed it over 3 years at 2%, maybe I would have jumped.

BTW: I pay my credit cards in full every month. In the CC world I'm known as "a dead beat".
WTF?

36 minutes ago, djl2014 said:

BTW: I pay my credit cards in full every month. In the CC world I'm known as "a dead beat".
WTF?

I used to do that as well.

2 hours ago, djl2014 said:

I don't know...Morgan Tanke killed it last year on her XTrainer. Her race bike was up for sale earlier this year and I regret not buying it.
$8,000 for a factory race bike. I should of pulled the trigger.
But I didn't have 8K in my pocket.
Well I did but I just couldn't get my head around writing that check.
But if I could have financed it over 3 years at 2%, maybe I would have jumped.

WTF?

Morgan tanke is riding endurocross. She doesn’t get out past 3d gear. Actually Beta enduro cross bikes are made int 2 speed bikes for endurocross for redmond and webb etc...I don’t know about now... figure it’s the same.. idk about women’s class.  It’s cool to get a factory bike. But an xtrainer is an Xtrainer. It’s going to be way better than a stock Xtrainer though but it’s just known to not be as stable as any rr. Great for tight and technical. Thats what its made for. It’s actually awesome for Hawaii style tight trails...

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, basalt said:

You don't need a credit score to borrow for a home or property. There is this thing called manual underwriting. It is how loans were originally done - where they actually analyse how much you make and how much you owe and give you a realistic loan instead of loans that lead to the collapse of the housing market and 100s of thousands of families having to short sell or foreclose. You can't believe what that banks and your "credit score" tell you.

You all can absolutely do whatever you want. I am only sharing my advice. Just don't say it is bad advice to save and not borrow.

These two graphs are not a coincidence.

102014-wealth-web-03.jpg

debt.jpg

And studies show you will spend more, simply using a credit card. It does not matter if you pay it off every month.:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-science-behind-behavior/201607/does-it-matter-whether-you-pay-cash-or-credit-card

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/credit-cards/credit-cards-make-you-spend-more/

Interesting graphs, particularly the first one; the decline in the mid '80's coincides with when illegal immigration really started to kick in. The second one with stagnant growth shows the wage freeze. Sorry about the side track, but damn... 

16 hours ago, basalt said:

I totally respect what your saying, overall debt is a wicked mistress and is the fault for a large number of society's problems (around the world).  But when used correctly it can be a tool that gives us the ability to do the things that make life enjoyable, like home ownership or new dirt bike purchases!

The advantage here is that he will have a good bike well beyond the last payment.  Now, if he said that he was going to buy a new truck and an enclosed trailer to store his new bike and transport it because he lives in an apartment or rented house that doesn't have a garage then I'd have a problem with those finances.  But if he's willing to forgo some of life's other treats like say... ummm... I don't know... a long distance vacation or vehicle upgrade until the note is paid for, then I'm ok with that.

Honestly the xt is not designed to go fast and a bunch of guys thought that just a few mods would make the Xtrainer on par with the rr. Thats been with whole new front forks and ohlins shock and different pipe etc. There’s a big question on really where you are as far as riding ability and what you would rather have between an xtrainer and a Beta rr. Some are fine with the Xtrainer but alot will like the versatility of an rr to be more stable in fast terrain. Guys say the Xtrainer can get squirilly going faster. Maybe you will think the Xtrainer is fine but there have been a bunch that have decided that the rr is better after buying an xtrainer. That’s why I figured you might spend time reading threads.. so you are more aware. From what I can tell where you ride isn’t a majority of technical riding. Bottom line has to go to you and if you are riding more open trails or not. I ride my 300 rr in tight ugly and wider open trails. . I could ride an xtrainer but it would limit what I could ride and race overall. I’m just telling you this to get a heads. Up... Read more threads and you might understand what Im talking about.

Ugh, it feels like all I've been doing lately is teeter back and forth between "ya know, I'm starting to ride a bit more aggressively lately, and I'm pretty good at adapting to what I can ride, so maybe forking over the extra dough for an RR is the way to go and that'll hurt a bit," and "I really like the price tag, size, and user-friendliness of the xtrainer, and I'll bet I could push that thing a bit past what it was designed for, because look at what I do to my 230! I beat that thing like it owes me money and it asks for more!"

Man, if it wasn't for that price tag on the RR, there would be no question. Not that I couldn't pay it, but we're talking a whole $1-1.5k more. Idk, I'm trying to keep my eyes and ears open. I DO want whatever I buy to last me a few years at least, so I'm very cautious with these kind of choices. I'm not the type to keep buying shit every year or two because of boredom or anything like that. I usually learn to adapt to what I get and become content with my decision. Cuz I know I can't put that toothpaste back in the tube!
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, 230 Sausage said:

Ugh, it feels like all I've been doing lately is teeter back and forth between "ya know, I'm starting to ride a bit more aggressively lately, and I'm pretty good at adapting to what I can ride, so maybe forking over the extra dough for an RR is the way to go and that'll hurt a bit," and "I really like the price tag, size, and user-friendliness of the xtrainer, and I'll bet I could push that thing a bit past what it was designed for, because look at what I do to my 230! I beat that thing like it owes me money and it asks for more!"

Man, if it wasn't for that price tag on the RR, there would be no question. Not that I couldn't pay it, but we're talking a whole $1-1.5k more. Idk, I'm trying to keep my eyes and ears open. I DO want whatever I buy to last me a few years at least, so I'm very cautious with these kind of choices. I'm not the type to keep buying shit every year or two because of boredom or anything like that. I usually learn to adapt to what I get and become content with my decision. Cuz I know I can't put that toothpaste back in the tube!

The difference between the 230 and an XT would be night and day.

The difference between the 230 and an XT would be night and day.

I know, right? Thats what everyone says when they know im coming off the 230 after about a decade, lol. One would think I would be pretty happy with it, even though I'm not always riding in the conditions it was designed for. After all, I HAVE seen videos of guys riding these things pretty hard.

I know there's a lot of fairly hardcore riders out there who are pretty meticulous about the difference between the two models and the types of riding for said models. And I most definitely heed their advice. But understand that I'm 5'6" at 165lbs, intermediate skill (may or may not improve much further, who knows..), and I don't have lots of riding opportunities given the lack of trails and parks in my area, so I'm more or less a weekend warrior. I don't plan to race, although I'm not totally excluding it. May give it a shot one day. I mostly just like to dick around and make videos. And I just want to get a bike that does the job really well.

I think the XT is your bike man. I have an rr, but I'm just a weekend warrior too and I'm sure an XT would be good for me too

32 minutes ago, 230 Sausage said:

Hey I feel you. That’s why with my first 2013 Beta 300 rr I bought  it a year old used and it had a bunch of mods on it and I saved money. I also saved money for awhile so I bought it cash. You will be putting more money into the Xtrainer if buying brand new because you will have to setup. It’s not just the price. It’s setup too when buying the bike. It’s a bummer but bikes cost what they cost.. Still you’ll probably have less to buy with an rr. Id really look into newer used too to sabe a lot of money.

• Like 1

Hey I feel you. That’s why with my first 2013 Beta 300 rr I bought  it a year old used and it had a bunch of mods on it and I saved money. I also saved money for awhile so I bought it cash. You will be putting more money into the Xtrainer if buying brand new because you will have to setup. It’s not just the price. It’s setup too when buying the bike. It’s a bummer but bikes cost what they cost.. Still you’ll probably have less to buy with an rr. Id really look into newer used too to sabe a lot of money.

Oh I would have no problem buying newer used of either model. They're just extremely hard to come by, especially in this area. Once a dealer gets them, they're swiped off the floor in no time by some prick like myself! I'd love to avoid the cost of brand new if I can.
  • Like 1

I also have to factor in living life a little and sooner rather than later. You never know, I may not be here later. I've lost friends way too early. You can hear daily of people gone too early. If RESPONSIBLE use of credit gets you something you are going to thoroughly enjoy in your life now then go for it. Especially when it comes to physical activities like this. I really hope that if I am here in the future that I am as physically capable as I am today but that is not guaranteed. I used my body hard in my life and eventually it will force me to slow down no matter how well I try to care for myself. I'm not trying wait until I'm old to enjoy life and I can't take my mountain of saved cash with me. Live for today...but be reasonable and responsible.

• Like 3

What he said^^^^ Life is short.

After battling Cancer, my wife told me to get something that will get me to my happy place again. I researched magazine reviews, forums and the like before I bought the Xtrainer. It just sounded right for me and after 2 seasons of riding it feels like I just bought it last week. It still feels new and exciting every time I ride it. It is my therapy.

The Xtrainer works for my style of riding and terrain. My friend has a 300RR and it is a great bike also, I just prefer my XT. He even said he should have got an Xtrainer for the places we go. Mine is fully plated and I can easily hit 70 MPH and cruises at 55 on pavement. I can easily ride 40 to 50 on dirt roads and I am usually faster than my friend on his 300RR.  No we are not experts just weekend warriors with bikes that get the job done.

As far as finance, like I said it is my therapy and was well worth it. I stated in an earlier post, zero percent interest credit cards are the way to. I have also used my credit card to pay medical bills and have flown to Hawaii several times for free with points. I just pay them off at the end of the month. It's all about playing the game.

• Like 2