which one and why

https://allentown.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2008-ktm-xc-250-clean-with/6385393741.html      https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2013-ktm-250-xc/6387368157.htmlThis is what i have it narrowed down to. If i bought the 2013 it has some extras on it that i would want but i would have to invest money in the suspension to have it lowered because i have a 30" inseam and would  feel more comfortable if i can at least touch tip toes. On the other hand if i bought the 2008 the seat height is 36" and with a lower seat it would be good but id have to put money into an exhaust and other extras i would want. The 2008 is an xc and the 2013 is an xc-w. I do woods and trail riding and would like to get it plated to get from riding spot to riding spot. 

just looking for some insight thanks

Edited by nickko

I have a 30" inseam and I can touch the ground with both feet while sitting on a 2013 KTM xc-w.  I have ridden that bike a fair amount.  

The seat height is 36" with no rider on it.  When you're sitting on it, it will squat about 4.5" inches from your weight.  And your weight will squash the seat down a little. And you will also have boots on, which probably have a bout a 1" thick heel/sole.  

Mayybe you might have to shave the seat a little bit if you want to touch extra easily.  Otherwise you will be fine.  Also, that bike has a good exhaust from the factory.  Maybe put a different silencer on it to make it sound a slight bit better, but the header is great IMO

1 hour ago, dirtjumpordie said:

I have a 30" inseam and I can touch the ground with both feet while sitting on a 2013 KTM xc-w.  I have ridden that bike a fair amount.  

The seat height is 36" with no rider on it.  When you're sitting on it, it will squat about 4.5" inches from your weight.  And your weight will squash the seat down a little. And you will also have boots on, which probably have a bout a 1" thick heel/sole.  

Mayybe you might have to shave the seat a little bit if you want to touch extra easily.  Otherwise you will be fine.  Also, that bike has a good exhaust from the factory.  Maybe put a different silencer on it to make it sound a slight bit better, but the header is great IMO

hmmm yes. I see they list the seat height on the 2013 250xc-w as 37.8. I just assumed it was 39 inches like the 250xc. i could deal with that with a lower seat.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention..............nicko

Edited by nickko
  • Like 1

I have always owned four strokes so i have to ask. Is 217 hours on a 2013 bike a lot of hours? and it says 2900 miles.

thanks....nicko

That depends on how it was ridden.  Woods riding is not very hard on the engine, and I would definitely trust that bike even with 217 hours.  It has also had new bearings and brakes, which indicates that the owner cares about keeping his bike in good working order.  

If it were 217 hours of motocross and supercross, I would say that the bike is totally worn out.  The 2013 KTM XC250 that I rode had 120 hours on the stock chasis and engine and it still felt like brand new.  Still ran like brand new.  That was a woods bike that sometimes saw motocross riding.  At 217 hours, I bet the bike is still plenty good.  The steel frames still feel good after many hours.  An aluminum frame moto bike feels like a wet noodle after 200 hours of motocross.  But the steel frame bikes are good to go.  

My advice if you get the 2013:  Take it home, put a new forged wiseco piston in it, and you will probably never have an issue.  ESPECIALLY if you're mainly woods riding. 

I'm not 100% but I think the KTM linkage bikes are taller than the PDS bikes. Both are PDS here so should be about the same height. That 2008 has way more hours on it than 30. Can't believe there's no skid plate on it. I'd pony up the $400 for the 2013 and expect to buy a new piston for it too so another $150. 

Thanks for the replies but i just bought this one https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/d/ktm-250-xc/6390922898.html  

It just came on craigslist today and I'm picking it up tomorrow. Got it for $3250.00. It is pretty much what i was looking for he had a new vortex piston put in at 155 hours. The bike has 209 hours and the suspension was serviced in 2014. What do you think?

thanks.......nicko

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, nickko said:

Thanks for the replies but i just bought this one https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/d/ktm-250-xc/6390922898.html  

It just came on craigslist today and I'm picking it up tomorrow. Got it for $3250.00. It is pretty much what i was looking for he had a new vortex piston put in at 155 hours. The bike has 209 hours and the suspension was serviced in 2014. What do you think?

thanks.......nicko

Ask for receipts on both the piston and suspension. The bike looks well cared for but don't let a few cans of Maxima SC-1 make you think that all is fine. If both the piston and suspension have receipts to prove the work was done or parts purchased then it seems like a decent buy to me.