40 hours on 2018 150 XC-W, What would you do?

Hey Gang, 

My 2018 150 XC-W was lucky enough to get ridden 40 hours since I purchased it in June.  All east coast style, trail, mainly technical type riding that amounted to about 650 miles.

I can plainly read what the service schedule for this bike calls for, But I ask...

Are there things that you would consider or DEFINITELY do that are not accounted for on the service schedule image below?  Mid-Atlantic season is pretty well a wrap...so I am going to tear the bike down for a bit.  Also, short of V-Force Reeds, my bike is mostly stock.  What upgrades might you do while the bike is tore to pieces?  Budget is fairly open...

Lets hear it, Thanks

IMG_3946.JPG

Piston at 40 hours for a trail bike ( even if it's a 150) is way early. 

Joe

33 minutes ago, trailmeisterjoe said:

Piston at 40 hours for a trail bike ( even if it's a 150) is way early. 

Joe

It is called for @ 80 hours on the 150.  40 on the 125 does seem pretty ludicrous.

I'd wait until 80 hours as long as you keep your filters clean.

I would buy another project to work on and leave this particular bike alone.

If it ain't broke, then don't try to fix it.

2 hours ago, M A T R said:

I'd wait until 80 hours as long as you keep your filters clean.

Air filter cleaned (Twin Air) and oil changed every 10 hours...

1 hour ago, Just_a_trail_rider said:

I would buy another project to work on and leave this particular bike alone.

If it ain't broke, then don't try to fix it.

I like the sound of that:thumbsup:

Change tranny oil, clean air filter. Check fork seals. Make sure you have gas stabilizer in the tank (better, fill with real gasoline, not Ethanol/Gasahol crap).

Oil chain, wash bike. wax bike

The manual is for competition use, at trail riding pace you could double that. D riders can get upwards of 250/ 300 hrs, I wouldn't recommend that much.

On November 16, 2017 at 10:34 PM, kevvyd said:

It is called for @ 80 hours on the 150.  40 on the 125 does seem pretty ludicrous.

Not really, if I waited until 40 hours on my 125 it would have 40lbs of compression. I do top ends every 25ish hours on it because it needs it. (mind you it's a YZ and it's ridden very aggressively.)

I agree with the suggestion on a project bike, they're stupid fun. Buy something similar to practice on or something totally different for when you're bored of the 150. 

Edited by BoxcarWilly

Funny looking at that list for 40 hours and I do that stuff monthly/weekly (except change suspension fluid, which is every 6 months).  Most of that is standard checklist stuff.  I would put 90 hours on it before you do a top end.

Funny looking at that list for 40 hours and I do that stuff monthly/weekly (except change suspension fluid, which is every 6 months).  Most of that is standard checklist stuff.  I would put 90 hours on it before you do a top end.

40 hours on suspension and the fluid is usually about done. Performance tends to fade slow enough that most guys don't notice, but do yourself a favor and service front and rear at 40.

My favorite mods in order of importance on my '17:

1) V-Force reeds, because stocker was defective.

2) Suspension revalve with fork conversion to traditional set-up with R/C on both sides. Made HUGE difference in my speed. My tuner has a straight rate shock spring combined with revised valving that he says takes the shock to another level. Will be doing that soon.

3) Tubliss

4) Flexx bars

Lot of guys on my '17 150 thread say the Tek head is a great mod. Gives more grunt down low and helps clean up jetting. Lots also doing Lectron, but after replacing the reed block I've gotten great performance out of the Mikuni. Several have done Rekluse, but I rode one and it robbed too much power IMO. Maybe it was a set-up issue, don't know, but won't be putting it on my bike. One person said they changed to FMF exhaust and that it didn't make much difference in power, recommended NOT doing it until you have to.

1 hour ago, Ernie Allen said:

40 hours on suspension and the fluid is usually about done. Performance tends to fade slow enough that most guys don't notice, but do yourself a favor and service front and rear at 40.

I do about 80-90 hours a year, so every 6 months is 40 hours.

On 11/21/2017 at 10:07 AM, Ernie Allen said:

My favorite mods in order of importance on my '17:

1) V-Force reeds, because stocker was defective.

2) Suspension revalve with fork conversion to traditional set-up with R/C on both sides. Made HUGE difference in my speed. My tuner has a straight rate shock spring combined with revised valving that he says takes the shock to another level. Will be doing that soon.

3) Tubliss

4) Flexx bars

Lot of guys on my '17 150 thread say the Tek head is a great mod. Gives more grunt down low and helps clean up jetting. Lots also doing Lectron, but after replacing the reed block I've gotten great performance out of the Mikuni. Several have done Rekluse, but I rode one and it robbed too much power IMO. Maybe it was a set-up issue, don't know, but won't be putting it on my bike. One person said they changed to FMF exhaust and that it didn't make much difference in power, recommended NOT doing it until you have to.

I have the V-Force reeds in there since day one.  Though it was not stated as a problem for the 2018, mine did not really seal well.

Also have made the bike TuBliss--a must as you know!

I never thought of the Flexx bars, but can appreciate that suggestion.  I'll give it some thought.

I am thinking the next 2 things will be:

Suspension re-done by Kreft Moto.

RK TEK head---   Ernie, do you know about how much the RK head costs?  And when you buy one is it plug and play?  Or should/do you, have to send them squished solder strips. Or specify some kind of measurement to them.  I know...I should call and ask them...

I have the V-Force reeds in there since day one.  Though it was not stated as a problem for the 2018, mine did not really seal well.

Also have made the bike TuBliss--a must as you know!

I never thought of the Flexx bars, but can appreciate that suggestion.  I'll give it some thought.

I am thinking the next 2 things will be:

Suspension re-done by Kreft Moto.

RK TEK head---   Ernie, do you know about how much the RK head costs?  And when you buy one is it plug and play?  Or should/do you, have to send them squished solder strips. Or specify some kind of measurement to them.  I know...I should call and ask them...

Update on Flex Bars! We're discussing atm on the '17 thread, there are lots of folks who now favor the Mako 360. It's much lighter, provides 360 degree cushioning, and doesn't appear to restrict lever position the way Flex can. The only downside is that you have to replace the elastomer every 40 hours, but it's supposedly very cheap. And the 360 provides flexible mounting positions, riser hardware if desired, and can accommodate at least 1 type of damper.

Haven't done the head yet but guys say its plug and play and is only $150.

You'll pat yourself on the back all year for doing Kreft. Unfortunately Kreft didn't fit into my financial plan, so I took a chance on a "local" shop who offered a very similar package at about half the price. Got lucky! Turns out he does GREAT work and provides trackside support at many of the races I go to. I can absolutely hammer high speed rough stuff now and high speed cornering is way better. I never really had any complaints about the stock stuff in slower technical terrain.

Forgot to mention, I have a buddy who switched from Flex to Maco months ago. Says Flex is a great product, Maco is just better in every respect...except having to replace the elastomer. Flex is maintenance free.

29 minutes ago, Ernie Allen said:

Update on Flex Bars! We're discussing atm on the '17 thread, there are lots of folks who now favor the Mako 360. It's much lighter, provides 360 degree cushioning, and doesn't appear to restrict lever position the way Flex can. The only downside is that you have to replace the elastomer every 40 hours, but it's supposedly very cheap. And the 360 provides flexible mounting positions, riser hardware if desired, and can accommodate at least 1 type of damper.

Haven't done the head yet but guys say its plug and play and is only $150.

You'll pat yourself on the back all year for doing Kreft. Unfortunately Kreft didn't fit into my financial plan, so I took a chance on a "local" shop who offered a very similar package at about half the price. Got lucky! Turns out he does GREAT work and provides trackside support at many of the races I go to. I can absolutely hammer high speed rough stuff now and high speed cornering is way better. I never really had any complaints about the stock stuff in slower technical terrain.

Yeah the Kreft is pretty spendy...I am hoping a year end bonus will cover that.  Their reputation and product seems second to none.  And as suspension is the best upgrade...might as well get the best??

BTW---Is your '17 thread really just '17 stuff or are there a bunch of '18 posters?   I never even really looked it over as I did not want to muddy it up with my '18 comments:goofy:

It's been mostly all '17's until a few weeks ago, but now several guys with '18's. Heck, most everyone with a '17 is really curious to know about the '18 anyway!