2000 DRZ-400E Won't Start

Ok new here, before everyone goes off yes I have tried the search function and I can't come across a situation like mine

bought a 2000 drz-400e about a month ago and it ran fantastic started really quick with the electric start and idled smooth.  One day it was slow to start up but eventually went, then while idling at a stoplight it died. Pushed it up a parking ramp and bumpstarted it, it still wouldnt idle without dying.  This continued for about a week until it wouldn't start on its own at all so i replaced the battery thinking it went bad and would no longer hold charge.  Even with the new battery it would not start on its own, and the next day it would not bumpstart any longer.  I should also point out i had put about 3 tanks of gas through it at this point.  I pulled the carb and inspected it, also checked my oil for fun and there was too much and it smelled like gas.  I read that sometimes the float valve gets stuck causing gas to leak in the oil so i took the float bowl off and inspected the valve to see if it was operating properly, it was, then changed the oil.  also checked spark while everything was off, spark seemed good arced a good half inch away from block.  reassembled, still no start.  decided to replace spark plug because i was out of ideas, no change, wouldnt start or bump start.  sprayed a little starting fluid into the spark plug hole and didnt even get a pop.  my next thing is to check compression but I dont think it would have slowly died the way it did if my compression is poor.  I am out of ideas and would appreciate peoples help 

thank you,

keith

ps still has acct (skipped tooth and timing messed up?)

I'd check your valve clearances, most likely out of spec.

Id recheck the oil for gas, you need to turn off the petcock when not in use (e model) otherwise the needle and seat can and often does leak and the result is as you found oil in the gas.

still you may have other issues as typically you can stat the bike but it wont run long w gas in oil. so i would read the FAQ and do the stator tests, despite still having spark the stator has been known to be on the fritz and the bike still sparks.....

When I had float valve/needle problems on my 03E, the gas dripped on the ground, not into the motor

When I had float valve/needle problems on my 03E, the gas dripped on the ground, not into the motor
Same here.

Fuel in the oil is usually a result of petcock failure. When the petcock fails the fuel moves down the vacuum line and makes its way into the cylinder where is leaks past the rings into the crankcase. You'll want to replace the OEM petcock with one from a Yamaha Raptor. This is an old school manual type. Remember to block-off the vacuum port on the carb. Make sure that you purchase a genuine Yamaha part, the knock-offs are prone to their own failure.

On ‎18‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 2:50 AM, Gary in NJ said:

Fuel in the oil is usually a result of petcock failure. When the petcock fails the fuel moves down the vacuum line and makes its way into the cylinder where is leaks past the rings into the crankcase. You'll want to replace the OEM petcock with one from a Yamaha Raptor. This is an old school manual type. Remember to block-off the vacuum port on the carb. Make sure that you purchase a genuine Yamaha part, the knock-offs are prone to their own failure.

It's an E - already manual (non vacuum) petcock?

On 2017-11-17 at 6:14 AM, iceman73 said:
On 2017-11-17 at 4:51 AM, Dmouse said:

Same here.

+2

On 11/16/2017 at 9:05 PM, keithkelly said:

Ok new here, before everyone goes off yes I have tried the search function and I can't come across a situation like mine

bought a 2000 drz-400e about a month ago and it ran fantastic started really quick with the electric start and idled smooth.  One day it was slow to start up but eventually went, then while idling at a stoplight it died. Pushed it up a parking ramp and bumpstarted it, it still wouldnt idle without dying.  This continued for about a week until it wouldn't start on its own at all so i replaced the battery thinking it went bad and would no longer hold charge.  Even with the new battery it would not start on its own, and the next day it would not bumpstart any longer.  I should also point out i had put about 3 tanks of gas through it at this point.  I pulled the carb and inspected it, also checked my oil for fun and there was too much and it smelled like gas.  I read that sometimes the float valve gets stuck causing gas to leak in the oil so i took the float bowl off and inspected the valve to see if it was operating properly, it was, then changed the oil.  also checked spark while everything was off, spark seemed good arced a good half inch away from block.  reassembled, still no start.  decided to replace spark plug because i was out of ideas, no change, wouldnt start or bump start.  sprayed a little starting fluid into the spark plug hole and didnt even get a pop.  my next thing is to check compression but I dont think it would have slowly died the way it did if my compression is poor.  I am out of ideas and would appreciate peoples help 

thank you,

keith

ps still has acct (skipped tooth and timing messed up?)

check the stator. they're notorious for going bad.