Harescramble Upgrades for 1985 XR600R

16 hours ago, Xr650r get tank in need. said:

Can you send me the thread to this, if you have it.

Sorry I don't remember where I found that picture.  It was a forum from a foreign country and everything was written in their native language.  There was also very little information of value in the thread.  So thats why i didn't really keep track of it.  

26 minutes ago, dirtjumpordie said:

Sorry I don't remember where I found that picture.  It was a forum from a foreign country and everything was written in their native language.  There was also very little information of value in the thread.  So thats why i didn't really keep track of it.  

Alright buddy,  thanks agin, just waiting on the tank to come in.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Xr650r get tank in need. said:

Yeah, I'm still working on it right now, I still wish I can find that thread on that tank. There has to be a easier way than what I'm doing. Any ideas? I'll post pictures

Post some pics and tell us about what you're doing.  Id love to help!

6 hours ago, Xr650r get tank in need. said:

Right now I just heated up the center and put a piece of wood that is the size of my frame than, I rachet strap it around

Thats a very nice looking bike.  

It looks like you have it on the frame where it needs to be.  My next advice is to try mounting your seat on the bike with the new gas tank.  That will help show you the proportions of it and where it looks like the tank needs to be.  Once you know the exact positioning of the gas tank that you want, you make some mounting adapters to hold the tank there.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Xr650r get tank in need. said:

I have the seat so I'll try it out and send pictures, thanks!

Cool!

Another bit of advice: the tunnel in those 03-05 yz450/250f gas tanks is slightly curved upwards.  So it won't lay on the bike perfectly.  To fix that, I just heated the tunnel up very hot with a heat gun.  I heated that part of the gas tank up to the point that the plastic became very workable.  It will start to be very very easy to change the shape of it. Like a thick fabric thats stretchy.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Xr650r get tank in need. said:

Should I still use the piece of wood I cut of the shape of the frame or should I just push it over the frame?

Thats up to you.  Both will work.  I like the idea of pushing it over the actual frame.  It makes it so that you can see how the angle of the gas tank is.  And you can see if anything is going to interfere with fitment. But I think you're doing everything correctly IMO. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Found this camshaft in my engine.  Any idea where it came from or who built it?  I tried making a thread about it but the Mods closed it before anybody replied.  I think I posted in the wrong section. 

This is an XRs only XR628R Big bore big fin head with a custom hardwelded camshaft.  Camshaft has 02-1008 a 11-89 stampings.  Is this a waggott cam from back in the day?  I cant find any info, But I heard he worked with ballards XRs only back when they were the cat's ass.

20180506_030230.jpg

20180513_192214.jpg

20180506_025335.jpg

20180506_025357.jpg

• 1 month later...