Tall heavy newbie looking for advice

I'm 6'1, 265ish lbs depending on the day.  Looking to get a bike to tool around trails with my 6yr old on his CRF50, nieces and nephews on their KLX110Ls and my brother-in-law eventually.  MAYBE some day, I would go to a track to just try it out and have some fun, but that's not the main purpose.  I am a 100% newbie as my experience is limited to tooling around on the 50 and 110s as well as my neighbor's TTR-230.  He is WAY bigger than me and had the rear suspension setup for bigger riders.

I really liked the TTR230, but as I said, I don't know any different really for a full sized bike.  I didn't get a chance to try and wring it out or anything either.  

I know I want a 4-stroke.  Been leaning toward Yamaha or Honda.  Reliability and comfort are important to me.

So after all that....what would you all recommend I look at other than a TTR-230?  

Any bike re-sprung for your weight would work. 

The only problem I see with a small motored bike is as the kids grow and as your own skill advance you may want more power. 

I've always been a fan of the Honda XR lineup like the XR400. Full size chassis and a big enough motor to enjoy for years. 

• Like 1

The Honda CRF230 and Yamaha TT-R230 are the go to adult beginner bikes.  That's what I usually recommend to completely new adults.  These bikes might be a bit small and underpowered for your size though.  The Honda XRs are a good choice too but they've been discontinued for a number of years now.  in my opinion it's getting harder and harder to find nice ones.  And as a beginner the last thing you want to be doing is trying to find parts and wrenching when you should be riding.

Another option is the Suzuki DR-Z400E.  That's the off-road only version not to be confused with the DRZ-400S or DR-Z400SM which are the street legal versions.  They are like a more modern Honda XR.  They are still made and haven't changed in a very long time.  So that means that you can pick up a nice clean used one and still walk into any Suzuki dealer and walk out with the parts you need.  They are extremely popular bikes and have a ton of community support including here at ThumperTalk with their own dedicated forum (look under Suzuki).  They are a full sized bike which, at your size would work well.  It's a very mild 400cc 4-stroke engine that's tame, easy to ride but will have more power than the 230s for hauling a big guy up hills.  They are a heavy bike though which is usually why they aren't recommended to beginners.  But at your size it might be a decent option.

Another good option is a Yamaha WR250F (not a WR250R which is a dual sport bikes).  I would not normally recommend this to a complete beginner because of the bike's height and power.  But your size and weight makes it a pretty good option.  They come from the factory pretty corked up which is good for you when you start out but they can be uncorked later when you are ready for a little more.  Unlike the bikes listed above this is a higher performance Enduro type bike with much better suspension, brakes, 6 speed gear box, etc.  They do have more maintenance than the bikes listed above which are indestructible tanks, but it's not overwhelming.

I think for you, the best option of those is probably the Yamaha WR250F.  At your weight the power won't be intimidating especially corked up but it will have more power than the bikes above (except the DRZ which is similar).  You wont be all cramped up on a bike that's too small for you.  It has the power, suspension and brakes that  you won't outgrow in 6 months.  The only issue here is that these are high performance 4-stroke bikes which is a little bit of a concern if buying a used bike.  A high hour used bike could require engine work at some point.  If you are buying new it's a non-issue.  If you are buying used, find someone knowledgable to help you.  Look for clean low-hour bikes or bikes where the owner can document the maintenance like top-end replacement.  

Doc

• Like 2

What's the additional maintenance on the WR250F?  Also, what about an '05 CRF450X?  Pretty decent price on a good looking one near me.

Just think do u want a little more power. 250. Or do u feel like u need a big amount of power like a 450 for your huge body. U should probably just get a 250 for the beginning

10 hours ago, Ya Dirty Boy said:

Just think do u want a little more power. 250. Or do u feel like u need a big amount of power like a 450 for your huge body. U should probably just get a 250 for the beginning

I have no idea, that's why i'm looking for advice.  I've never ridden a 450.

• 1 month later...