Brake Pad and brake fluid recommendation

I'm looking to replace the pads front and rear as well as completely bleed the system this winter. I have an 01' XR250, just bought it in Sept. so not a lot of experience with the bike

I'm a fairly aggressive trail rider, don't race, mainly riding tight trails

Any recommendations? I did a couple searches and didn't find much. 

Edited by Onequick4door

You'll use either DOT 4 or 5.1 fluid. 5.1 has slightly higher heat resistance.

Pads basically come in metallic, organic or kevlar. I usually go with organic for an all around pad. If you ride lots of mud, folks like metallic. Are far as brands, EBC and Galfer are a few of the most popular.

On my trail ridden CRF250X, I found metallic 'racing' brake pads a bit too aggressive for tricky low speed / low traction situations

(say a wet rocky muddy downhill) where you cannot modulate the brakes as smoothly, having more of a tendency to bit and lock up the wheel.

23 hours ago, mlatour said:

On my trail ridden CRF250X, I found metallic 'racing' brake pads a bit too aggressive for tricky low speed / low traction situations

(say a wet rocky muddy downhill) where you cannot modulate the brakes as smoothly, having more of a tendency to bit and lock up the wheel.

Big range of friction among different pads and I've found Honda OEM pads on my CRF250X and XR250 to be grabby at low speeds, but with a light lever pull. :banghead:

Street brakes have a friction code indicating friction and heat resistance, often referred to as "edge code" because it is on the the edge of the pad. 

Some cut/paste info:
This two letter edge code mandated by the DOT, and painted on all street legal brake pads, will give you some indication of their ability to bite and resist fade, because of the wide range involved in each letter, it is only a rough indication.
Explanation of D.O.T. Edge Codes Located on all Brake Pads Official D.O.T. Edge Code Coefficient of Friction (C.F.)
@ 250 F and @ 600 F Comments
EE 0.25 to 0.35 both temps 0-25% fade at 600 F possible
EF 0.25 to 0.35 @ 250 F 0.35 to 0.45 @ 600 F 2% to 44% fade at 600 F possible
FF 0.35 to 0.45 both temps 0-22% fade at 600 F possible
GG 0.45 to 0.55 Very Rare
HH 0.55 to 0.65 Carbon/Carbon only. O.K. up to 3000 F where it glows

Dirt bike brakes don't run as hot as street use so I don't see a need for pads that function while glowing red when they are so grabby at more normal temps.

Honda OEM for my X are HH and way too grabby for my riding terrain and riding speeds.  EBC doesn't tell you the edge code but my interpretation of their descriptions is:

EBC pads:
Suffix “X”, or “TT” pads are carbon, for sport. Medium friction hot/cold, medium life, red paint. Probably FF.
Sufix “R”  pads are sintered copper for long life offroad, medium friction hot and cold, good in wet conditions. Probably FF.
Sufix “HH”  pads, sintered copper, ultra high friction, painted platinum, for Superbike and street. Probably HH.
Prefix “MXS” pads are sintered, ultra high friction, painted gold, For fast MX. Probably HH.

I use Sumo organic pads.  Great feel, much better than stockers.  Sumo aren't known that well with the 2 wheel crowd but very popular on quads.  You can find them on ebay pretty darn cheap.