auto-decompression Auto-Decompression

Does this make sense? I am not criticizing the video maker, merely asking in order to learn. I don't know enough about the systems to understand if he is making sense or is mistaking correlation for causation.

I'd be surprised if that is what is going on.  I would think even at low rpm's, the centrifugal force would be more than enough to overcome the spring.  Although he did say that it fixed the problem for him.

I suspect as your surmised, the root cause is actually something else (not a high enough idle, valves not in spec, or jetting is off) and he's compensating for it.  But without a high speed camera to watch the weight as it moved, or some type of sensing on the cam to tell where the weight is, it would be guesswork. 

No harm or foul though as long as the weight always returns to the correct position when the engine is off.

Keep in mind too that this is on an R, not an X.  My '09 450x doesn't have issues with flame outs.

Jim.

Edited by Jim Dettman
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jim Dettman said:

I'd be surprised if that is what is going on.  I would think even at low rpm's, the centrifugal force would be more than enough to overcome the spring.  Although he did say that it fixed the problem for him.

I suspect as your surmised, the root cause is actually something else not a high enough idle, valves not in spec, or jetting is off) and he's compensating for it.  But without a high speed camera to watch the weight as it moved, or some type of sensing on the cam to tell where the weight is, it would be guesswork. 

No harm or foul though as long as the weight always returns to the correct position when the engine is off.

Keep in mind too that this is on an R, not an X.  My '09 450x doesn't have issues with flame outs.

Jim.

My 14 450x is running great as well. But understanding how everything works is part of the fun. Thanks for the response.