Oil Injection feed line leak!!!! Check out pics...

It's leaking from the black L-shape rubber tube where it connects to the oil container fitting and where the L-shape tube connects to the back of the pump. Suggestions?

IMG_20171117_121012.jpg

IMG_20171117_121045.jpg

IMG_20171117_121118.jpg

I don't know that I'd call that a failure.  I'd suggest it's merely a leak.  Probably one of the squeezy fuel line clamps would seal that up.717EmYVU5VL._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by cachunko
  • Like 2

I don't know that I'd call that a failure.  I'd suggest it's merely a leak.  Probably one of the squeezy fuel line clamps would seal that up.717EmYVU5VL._SL1500_.jpg

I was about to post the same thing, not really a failure.
I zipped tied mine a while ago.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, FUHL said:

I was about to post the same thing, not really a failure.
I zipped tied mine a while ago.

It's a pretty misleading topic title.  I also thought zip tie as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ballisticexchris said:

Zip ties are cheesy for that kind of application. Safety wire is the best option. 

I wouldn't say cheesey, they do work but of course not as good as safety wire.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, FUHL said:

I wouldn't say cheesey, they do work but of course not as good as safety wire.

I hear ya'. For fuel and oil lines, zip ties are a quick fix for trailside repairs on my bikes. I'm a copy cat. I go to the pits of races and various shows and take pictures of the pros bikes. I pretty much safety wire everything they do. 

An example is my 2005 300EXC. All the KTM 300's are known to have the upper shock bolt come loose under hard use. Even with red Loctite! I use medium Loctite and drilled/safety wired it since new. It stays pretty tight for trail use. This is not the correct way to wire it but this allows me to see if the bolt is coming loose. It only came loose a few times and that's when racing. (which I no longer do). Of course I pull my shock off for servicing the bike quite frequently. 

IMG_2818.JPG.de996fd454243d68c0bc44d5be4c66b8.JPG

Terribly misleading title. It's clickbait. This is not a failure, or at least, a failure worthy of your title. 

May I suggest, "Oil Injection Line leaking, any suggestions?"

To the topic at hand....is the line fully seated on the fitting? Looks like it has a little bit further to go on the fitting. Fully seating it with one of the clamps suggested would probably fix it nicely. 

• Like 2

I don't know guys, that was after only 2 hits of the throttle. After I had totally cleaned it to diagnose the leak. I noticed a puddle on the swing arm where the air filter drains. If I didn't notice and raced the Volunteer Harescramble this weekend It would have been an all out failure. Not cool in my book. Anyway, is that tube glued on the fitting? Or can I just pull it off and put it back on? It's also leaking where it connects to the pump. Don't know how I'm going to get behind that and tighten anything down.

1 hour ago, JWR14 said:

I don't know guys, that was after only 2 hits of the throttle. After I had totally cleaned it to diagnose the leak. I noticed a puddle on the swing arm where the air filter drains. If I didn't notice and raced the Volunteer Harescramble this weekend It would have been an all out failure. Not cool in my book. Anyway, is that tube glued on the fitting? Or can I just pull it off and put it back on? It's also leaking where it connects to the pump. Don't know how I'm going to get behind that and tighten anything down.

They have a way of fixing that. 

download.jpeg

• Like 6

Well, you can see that the line leaving the pump is full, so the only possible failure here is excessively high oil use (and an oily bike...).  Now, I seem to think that they advertise that the oil reservoir is large enough to cover "about" 3 full tanks of gas and that leak isn't really that big of a leak. So really, this isn't a big deal - it sucks but it's not a big deal.  Also, this bike is fitted with a low oil light, find it and get use to looking at it "just to be sure".

A permanent fix would be it replace the hose and do what's already been suggested - "clamp it".  But you could get lucky by just pushing the hose on farther.  A zip tie or steel spring clamp will work.  As for getting in there, well, someone at the factory did it so it's possible. 

Either way, I'd talk to the dealership and see if they'd be willing to look at it and see if they could fix if.  A little good will quick fix would go a long way in this case.

They have a way of fixing that. 
download.jpeg.6328b55037c86f1b7856144c30a67552.jpeg

Picked one up yesterday and blocked off the OI :)
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, shrubitup said:

:thinking: Interesting. Never had a ratio rite before but I do use a Maxima Quick-2-Mix bottle. It has a lid which keeps out crud. 

I used ratio rites through out the 70's, 80's and 90's for mixing up the fuel for my MX and trials bikes, measuring oil amounts for transmission oil changes, measuring oil amounts for fork oil changes etc.

• Like 1

+1

I actually own 3 ratio rites...  Like GlennRay said, they also measure in CC's and fluid ounces (besides ratio's) which make it easy to refill trans oil and forks.  Even 4t owners have a reason to own one (or more).   :thumbsup:

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, zig06 said:

+1

I actually own 3 ratio rites...  Like GlennRay said, they also measure in CC's and fluid ounces (besides ratio's) which make it easy to refill trans oil and forks.  Even 4t owners have a reason to own one (or more).   :thumbsup:

I own two myself, I recently started riding again and could not find my original, so I bought another to use when I changed out the fork oil.  Guess what I found when I went to put the new ratio rite away?  Whatever, this has to be the best $1.50 I ever spent!

Edited by GlennRay
  • Like 3