Does anyone ride Japanese bikes anymore ?

I feel like I'm the only one in the NE that rides a Japanese bike. I went for a solo ride today and I ran into two guys on Betas who I ended up riding with.  all my riding buddies ride KTMs Betas or Huskys. when I do the occasional DS its mostly Euro bikes. when I run into other riders its mostly Euro bikes. I'm not anti KTM or anything its just an obsveration. 

• Like 1

Of course there is.... but other brands such as those mentioned are giving what the customers seem to want, variety, etc.

• Like 3

It's somewhat of a mixed bag around here. You see a lot of KTMs, but there is a fair share of Yamahas too, along with a lesser mix of the rest. The Japanese manufacturers have fallen far behind the Euros in the woods bike market. Yamaha is really the only one trying at all, but the YZ250X lacking an e-start is a big ball drop on their part. Great bike, but if they expect to compete with the 2T Euros, the X is going to have to have a button. WR and FX are on point, but 4 strokes in the woods could almost be seen as a rarity in these parts.

• Like 1

its more of a budget thing for me. I never can afford to spend more then around 2500 and for that price it seems like I get a better value with the Jap bikes. I like the euro bikes I just don't understand how people could afford them. id love a new Beta 500. my buddy has one it does everything great. plated Jap bikes "not factory dualsports" suck on the road.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, OLHILLBILLY said:

It's somewhat of a mixed bag around here. You see a lot of KTMs, but there is a fair share of Yamahas too, along with a lesser mix of the rest. The Japanese manufacturers have fallen far behind the Euros in the woods bike market. Yamaha is really the only one trying at all, but the YZ250X lacking an e-start is a big ball drop on their part. Great bike, but if they expect to compete with the 2T Euros, the X is going to have to have a button. WR and FX are on point, but 4 strokes in the woods could almost be seen as a rarity in these parts.

I wanted a non MX two stroke for woods riding. If Yamaha would have went back to their 2001 kickstarter design and then made the transmission more durable AND made a low first gear then I would have likely bought the YZ250X. The electric start is really nice on the Beta but I could have lived with a kickstart only on the YZ250X IF they upgraded (downgraded?) the mechanism. My 2007 YZ250 caused me fits with this so I didn't want to experience that again. 

After owning a 2016 KX250F I determined I'm not interested in valve maintenance on any bike ever unless it's a DRZ or a WR250R. 

• Like 6

I wanted a non MX two stroke for woods riding. If Yamaha would have went back to their 2001 kickstarter design and then made the transmission more durable AND made a low first gear then I would have likely bought the YZ250X. The electric start is really nice on the Beta but I could have lived with a kickstart only on the YZ250X IF they upgraded (downgraded?) the mechanism. My 2007 YZ250 caused me fits with this so I didn't want to experience that again. 

After owning a 2016 KX250F I determined I'm not interested in valve maintenance on any bike ever unless it's a DRZ or a WR250R. 

Wait, my drz needs valve maintenance? I thought it was a set and forget.
  • Like 3

The Euro companies offer alot more options and bikes to woods / trail riders. The Japanese companies primarily focus on MX bikes. Not everyone rides motocross. The Jap companies are missing out on a large market. Why they do this, I have no idea.  I grew up on XR's and wish Honda offered a modern XR. I also wish there was a modern RMX250, KDX250 or WR250. Those were great 2 strike woods bikes. I now ride a Suzuki RM250 that I modified for trails. 

• Like 3

Ya IMO the Japanese company's lost touch of where dirt biking in NA has gotten to which is enduro and where the EU has been for quite some time. Companies like KTM, Husky, Beta, Gas Gas, TM etc have been making bikes for EU enduro and had the fore sight to see that this is where it was going in NA and ya they make great 4T and more importantly 2T bikes.

Yamaha has somewhat figured it out with their FX bikes and have 2T's and Honda has at least coming out with their 450RX but only a token commitment IMO.

I ride a 2005 CRF250R only in the woods/hard technical and have made it into a reasonably OK bike for where/how I ride and I do love it BUT then I jump on a buddies KTM 250XCW is an awesome woods weapon right out of the box and IMO the key is being able to buy an awesome bike for where/how you ride or buy an OK bike and try and make it something its not.

We live in an AWESOME time for dirt bike options and where I ride its about 10% Japanese 90% KTM/Husky/Beta but I'm ready for a new bike and for where/how I ride and in order Beta/Husky/KTM.

If you only want to ride MX tracks IMO different and how many people in NA ONLY ride MX tracks?

• Like 4

It’s mostly a sea of orange here, with a smattering of beta/gasgas and a fair number of blue jap bikes, mostly because of the yz250x. I started out trail riding on 250t jap bikes because they are 1/3 the price of similar year euro bikes. After converting a couple jap 250 2ts over the course of 4 years or so i finally found a used ktm300 in my price range. The difference for me has been night and day, the 300 absolutely suits me better. I had to put a rekluse in my yz250 to even have half a chance at riding the thing on even a moderate trail well. My 300 came with a rekluse that I removed after the first ride since the bike is so much easier to ride. I’ve been able to learn much better clutch control and I’ve gained a ton of confidence aboard this bike, because the bike is far more forgiving. I also get far less tired riding the ktm because the suspension isn’t setup for 50’ jumps. I know there are lots of FAR better riders then me can absolutely shred on a jap bike in the woods (or anywhere) but for a 40yo weekend trail rider like me these bikes are perfect

• Like 2

I'm a longtime Yamaha rider and the Euro's finally started making a better product. My Beta 300 is just a better offroad bike than my yz250 in almost every way, IMO.

When I went looking for a factory dual sport, I bought another Beta...there isn't an alternative from the Japanese.

5 hours ago, elrontx said:

its more of a budget thing for me. I never can afford to spend more then around 2500 and for that price it seems like I get a better value with the Jap bikes. I like the euro bikes I just don't understand how people could afford them. id love a new Beta 500. my buddy has one it does everything great. plated Jap bikes "not factory dualsports" suck on the road.

In my case, I just work lots of overtime during the summer and live pretty cheap aside from my dirtbike addiction. My newest pickup is a 2003 and my commuter pickup is a poverty-spec'd 93 Ranger. I don't even own a TV and most of my clothing comes from either Walmart or Tractor Supply. I don't have any fancy electronic gadgets and don't really go on vacations. At the end of the day, it's worth it for me as I have 2 tricked-out Beta's in the garage('15 300 and '18 350) as well as a GasGas trials bike.

• Like 9

Most woods bikes around the pacific northwest are euro ones. Japanese gave up on off road and market went to KTM and the other up and comers.  I was one of the very few riding KTM in the mid 80's ( after 15 yrs of Japanese bikes) and have stayed KTM ever since.  No reason to go elsewhere as they make the perfect bike for me ( 300 ). Never really did any MX riding as the off road opportunities around here are extensive so zero interest in a stiff, Ill suited track bike.

Joe

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Edgecombe said:

If honda still made an xr, that's what I'd be riding. 

youd probably be the only one   :lol:

• Like 4