What’s a good shock for a PE

Hi, 

working on an 84 PE full floater, which needs a rear shock to really go off road. Looked everywhere and there’s nothing out there. Does anyone know if an RM one will fit? If so what year and model??

cheers in advance

Waz

1 hour ago, Waz Hoare said:

Hi, 

working on an 84 PE full floater, which needs a rear shock to really go off road. Looked everywhere and there’s nothing out there. Does anyone know if an RM one will fit? If so what year and model??

cheers in advance

Waz

You are probably gonna have to measure your shock, eye to eye, and then find one the same or close.

Will this be a bike you ride offroad for fun or are you trying to keep it period correct for vintage concourse shows?  If you will be riding it then you can look for a much superior aftermarket shock like a Fox or Penske or Ohlins or even a well regarded newer OE shock from a modern MX bike.  Some can be rebuilt and revalved with good results, others... not so much. 

Have you perused any PE specific forums?  Most forums for a particular make/model/year bike have lots of great info on what others have done, what works, what doesn't etc. 

You might give Clark Jones at Noleen a call. He custom makes shocks. https://www.j6shocks.com/vintage-services.html

I know someone who had him build them a shock for a 83 KX125 and he can't say enough good things about his service, and how much improvement the shock made.

28 minutes ago, MetricMuscle said:

You are probably gonna have to measure your shock, eye to eye, and then find one the same or close.

Will this be a bike you ride offroad for fun or are you trying to keep it period correct for vintage concourse shows?  If you will be riding it then you can look for a much superior aftermarket shock like a Fox or Penske or Ohlins or even a well regarded newer OE shock from a modern MX bike.  Some can be rebuilt and revalved with good results, others... not so much. 

Have you perused any PE specific forums?  Most forums for a particular make/model/year bike have lots of great info on what others have done, what works, what doesn't etc. 

Thanks, off-road, not concourse. Although it’s very clean i don’t want a garage queen... kinda seems wrong. Although, I’d like to try and keep the resivior where it is. 

I flushed and changed the oil, and although there’s no air or leak, seams a little weak, even on its hardes setting for any serious use. Suppose I’m scared of ripping the hub out of the wheel  

Do Fox still make this far back? In the UK it’s really hard to find anything without being ripped off. 

I think the RM125s shared the same rear, but that’s only from memory. 

23 minutes ago, motosquid said:

You might give Clark Jones at Noleen a call. He custom makes shocks. https://www.j6shocks.com/vintage-services.html

I know someone who had him build them a shock for a 83 KX125 and he can't say enough good things about his service, and how much improvement the shock made.

Thanks for the lead. I’ll email them to see if they do Inernational orders. There prices seem really good. 

Basically there’s a lot of early single shockers here with knackered rear ends and no one to fix them. OK for road use, but I didn’t bring it back from the grave just run on the black stuff :jawdrop:

Can you not revalve the one you have

3 hours ago, mog said:

Can you not revalve the one you have

 I’ve never tried it before, and heard some good and bad stories. And didn’t know if you could still get piston kits for these bikes? 

 

Try Hagon. 

A quick google says '82-'85 RM125 shock will work.

But I'm with Mog, why not tear that sucker apart and see if you can resurrect it?

Edited by DEATH_INC.

How gnarly off road will you likely be riding?  A great rear shock will be money well spent, you won't regret it.  If you decide to rebuild your shock or some other unit from an RM make sure to determine just how good it has the potential to perform best case scenario.  Some of the older stuff was really awesome and can be resurrected but some stuff never was any good even sprank brand new back when.

When you measure eye to eye also determine how much stroke the shock needs to have, this will open up your list of possible candidates.

Do you have a budget you want to say under?

Edited by MetricMuscle

If you are in the UK, notice that the french Öhlins dealer can build whatever you want

http://ohlins.fr/produits/moto/amortisseur-moto-suzuki-rm-125-1984-1984-su-401-pfp.html

I don't like the old japanese shocks because of the aluminium cylinder. The oil becomes polluted after 4 hours...

I put an Öhlins piston in one of my old kayaba (the bike is an IT175G with the cantilever) to get more actual damping settings, but I'm not yet there with the setting.

It's an improvement, but I have issues with the centering of the rebound stack because it's on the threaded potion of the piston rod. and therefore not correctly centered.

jeanjean

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now