H4 LED Headlight Bulb Kit

Looking for info on an H4 LED bulb replacement. I'm not looking to use the 4x6 headlights many have used. I'll be doing the KLX450 headlight/fairing mod.

Looks like eBay has a bunch of options, but to use with stock DRZ wiring what wattage/specs am I looking for? Anyone had success/nightmares? 

Looking at something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-H4-6500K-COB-LED-Motorcycle-Hi-Lo-Fog-Lamp-Headlight-Bulb-For-Moto-RH/292243629220?hash=item440b13e4a4:g:mxwAAOSwJ~RZsOJ4&vxp=mtr

factory service manual says 12v 60/55 Watt

however, an LED is going to be rated way differently than a regular bulb..... And I tried a LED bulb on mine, it sucked!!!! worse than the stock light, but it had a pretty color to it ;)  ended up replacing mine with the 4x6

Edited by 74jimbo

My understanding of lights is bulb, reflector and lens need to be designed as a unit.  Just replacing an incandescent bulb with an LED doesn't  put the light source in the right focal position.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2017 at 11:16 AM, Noble said:

My understanding of lights is bulb, reflector and lens need to be designed as a unit.  Just replacing an incandescent bulb with an LED doesn't  put the light source in the right focal position.

I may pick up the LED setup and give it a shot on the chance that even though they weren't designed together, they still work together. I'd only be out $15 if it didn't go right/could just return it after. They claim ~3000 lumens which I'd think would be plenty bright, so long as it's getting sufficient power. Looks like there are other units that include ballast, which could help with any issues there.

https://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/3800-Lumen-H4-LED-Headlight-bulb-_p_83.html

This is what I run, was on the bike when j bought it. It's super bright. 3800 lumens. Looks like they also have the option for a 7000 lumen. Easy plug n play installation and has a nice heat sink and fan. Pulls less wattage than stock so it saves you power if you wanted to run other things like heated grips or aux lights

• Like 2

I think I would put my faith in Cyclops over $14 ebay bulb.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Noble said:

I think I would put my faith in Cyclops over $14 ebay bulb.

I'm gonna go the Cyclops route, I think. Headlight going out on an ADV ride is not something I wanna deal with.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, DRZ_Abbott said:

I'm gonna go the Cyclops route, I think. Headlight going out on an ADV ride is not something I wanna deal with.

I have an older 3800 cyclops from before they were doing the shields for the .

Search my name and you will find my posts on it, namely the wire mod for better beam that was posted on advrider by spiderman.

Also google for a discount code and order direct from cyclops

• Like 1

I got a LED 3800 lum from Pro Cycle two years ago, I am using the stock headlight assembly, It is super bright white light, ride almost everyday, in the rain if I have to, still working great. It has a little fan on the back of it and a little transformer box, direct plug in. Has high and low beam. Kinda expensive at $72.20171202_223558.jpg

here is a link the page with great info

Edited by MyKLX400