Mellowing the 2017

I know it sounds like blasphemy and I would agree...but....I tried to convince the wife to look at a different bike and she wouldn't have it.  She rode a 2007 yz250f since it was new and was comfortable on that one, but the 2017 is a weapon in comparison.  I have a tuner and have changed the map to the loose or slippery conditions map and it still too aggressive.  I would get her a different bike but don't want to take a hit on the resale.  So...does anyone have a good map that softens the bike and possibly a recommended flywheel weight?  Thanks.

I’m a female rider in my mid 40s used have a 2004 YZ250F, sold it 2008 stopped riding for a while, picked up an IT200N for vintage riding. Now I have added the 2015 YZ250FX to my shed and absolutely love it. My riding has changed from 10 years ago when I predominantly raced, to mostly out on the trails. The fx has excellent power & it’s just not as angry as the mx bike, heavier fly wheel, wider ratio gearbox and 13/51 (stock) gearing. Elec start and nicer suspension. Haven’t fiddled with the mapping as yet. I would never go back to the F now. Also people babble on about the fx being heavier- it’s rubbish, bike it beautifully balanced. It’s only heavy when you are lying underneath it (but then what bike wouldn’t be)
Just my 2 cents worth

Cheers
Julia

Well I did some more looking and the only flywheel weighting I see is the GYTR one, and of course that means it comes with GYTR pricing.  I may try the sprocket change but i don't want her to loose that ability to chug from low in the rpm's to get up some of the hills so I'm gonna try the GYTR product first.  I think the wider ratio gearbox would have been good for her, but she was one of those people who was adamant about not having the extra weight.  Thanks for the input all.

Still would like to know if somebody (possibly woods/trail riders) has tried some alternate maps not publicized in the tuning guide.

Steahly is probably cheaper than the GYTR.. https://www.steahlyoffroad.com/yamaha-yz-250f-2014-2016-motorcycle-flywheel-weight-835

7oz when added all to the outer edge of the flywheel will make a noticeable difference. The heavier plate style weights used on 2 strokes carry a certain amount of their inertial weight closer to the center and are a bit less effective ounce for ounce than ones like this.

• 3 weeks later...