GPS Tracker

I was wondering if there is any good trackers (beacons) out there, I am starting to do more trail riding by myself and wanted to purchase a decent device to carry just in case I have a injury or break down on the trail. You just never know if your going to have cell service at that moment you really need it. At least this way if I'm not home by dark my wife can start making calls

Thanks and safe riding

• Like 1

SPOT tracker is a good one, and probably the cheapest option. You press a button, and it transmits an SOS signal to their headquarters in Houston, who calls the emergency services in your area and provides them the location. There is no way for you to communicate to anyone, but it's not really necessary either, just hit the button and wait. They use these in the Baja 1000 now. 

https://www.findmespot.com/en/

If you want a communication (texting) option and the ultimate in trail safety when riding alone, consider the Garmin inReach Explorer. 

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/561269

• Like 2

8 hours ago, dlee said:

I was wondering if there is any good trackers (beacons) out there, I am starting to do more trail riding by myself and wanted to purchase a decent device to carry just in case I have a injury or break down on the trail. You just never know if your going to have cell service at that moment you really need it. At least this way if I'm not home by dark my wife can start making calls

Thanks and safe riding

Good to hear you understand the risks and are looking at options for worst case.

I can get to very remote places out of cell service about 10mins from my house if I want to and then usually with buddies. I don't use a Spot/In Reach etc so when I occasionally ride alone, I choose where and how I ride considering worst case.

This can get into a do you ride alone topic and honestly I enjoy riding alone but my best rides are usually with buddies cus we ride to places and terrain that I would not go to solo.

And yes, have fun and ride safe ?

• Like 1

Good to hear you understand the risks and are looking at options for worst case.
I can get to very remote places out of cell service about 10mins from my house if I want to and then usually with buddies. I don't use a Spot/In Reach etc so when I occasionally ride alone, I choose where and how I ride considering worst case.
This can get into a do you ride alone topic and honestly I enjoy riding alone but my best rides are usually with buddies cus we ride to places and terrain that I would not go to solo.
And yes, have fun and ride safe [emoji4]

Dude, get one. I had an epic adventure the other day, hitting all that really questionable stuff way out fearlessly because I can get help if I need it. Really expanded the amount of risk I'm willing to take on a dual sport ride. All that goat trail stuff where I'd look at it and be like, nah, no one would ever find me in there, now I just click it down a gear, stand up on the pegs and hit it. Don't wait any longer.

There are countless review and setup videos on Youtube so its not that difficult to get started.  The biggest drawback is its not touch screen so you have to use buttons to navigate through the menus - not a deal breaker.....  For texting, its easier to pair the device via Bluetooth to your iPhone and use the virtual keyboard.  Its nice that Garmin now offers pay as you go "Freedom Plans".  If anything its piece of mind to have something to communicate to the outside world when you are out of cell service.