Hey guys,

Im looking to buy a new Yamaha 2 stroke within the next couple weeks but i cant decide whether i would be happier with the 2018 yz 250 or the 2018 yz250x. Heres my riding background. Ive been riding for 15 years, I raced in the A class for 5 years until money got tight and i gave up racing all together. Since i then I realized how much fun single track riding is and just free riding with the buddies. I still occasionally ride tracks but about 80% of my riding is trails. I live in Michigan and if you have ever ridden in Michigan then you know the trails can get as rough as a motocross track. My local trails have sand whoops that i would compare to

REDD-BUUUDDDS sand whoops.

Ive never owned a "trail" bike ive always taken my race bikes and made them into "trail" bikes. My last bike being a Yz125. 

That being said i know all the mechanical and technical differences between the 2 bikes. Im a bit worried that the 250x just wont have the racey feel when im riding. Im also worried then when i do take it to the track the suspension will be a bit soft and the mellow hitting powerband will not allow me to seat bounce the big whoops. But now the standard yz250 might not have enough low end to help me skate through wet black slick dirt and the suspension might be a little to "non responsive" per say in studder bumps. Can you guys give me any sort of guidance. 

If you would like to check out my riding style on YouTube check out : "Yz125 2 stroke Shredding Michigan Enduro Trails."

Thanks Guys

Well, I can tell you this. I have a 2016 yz250x that I have raced the district 14 harescrambles for 2 seasons now and this bike does evaeything very well. Most of the races are tight gnarly and rough as hell then also have part of a moto track. The bike does the best in tight singletrack for me but on the straights I have passed many 250 and 450 motocross bikes so I don't think you will be missing any power. The suspension is amazing in the woods and is a little bit soft on the moto track but I just give everything 2 clicks stiffer when I ride moto at martin mx here in Michigan. I think you will like the 250x

from what i’ve heard the 250x is one of the best bikes for what your looking for.

250x if you're primarily riding trails, Enduro's or hare scrambles.  

I'm in Michigan and most guys I know are on KTMs or Betas.  But they never ride on MX tracks, so the 250X is a good compromise if you'll still be riding on MX tracks.

Doc

X

Unless racing competitively, for the average recreational rider the X might actually be faster on an MX track with it's linear power output.

If you were able to clear jumps previously with a YZ125, I'm pretty sure it won't be a problem with a YZ250X.

Don’t forget about the WR transmission in the X...The YZ250 is one of the best bikes ever built and the X is even better.   The bike is plenty fast...:ride:

Lol I'll install one for the price of a 250x any day. And provide the parts for free. 

I think it's a good kit for guys like me that have an older yz all set up but want the wide ratio trans. 

Or the guys that prefer the steel frame 04 and back. 

27 minutes ago, Keep the wheels turning. said:

Lol I'll install one for the price of a 250x any day. And provide the parts for free. 

I think it's a good kit for guys like me that have an older yz all set up but want the wide ratio trans. 

Or the guys that prefer the steel frame 04 and back. 

Sorry, I misread what you were saying and actually thought you were the OP. I thought you' buy the YZ and than install the wide-ratio. Figured it would be a waste of time and money considering you could buy that bike with the same parts already installed...  

Your better off picking a bike for the majority of what you ride and not for what you may occasionally ride, get the X.

last time i checked the yz250x was not a wide ratio. i was under the impression that 3rd was changed compared to then mxer thats it. its not the true wr trans found in the wr426 that can be swaped in. maybe its since been changed

8 minutes ago, CarmanCRF said:

last time i checked the yz250x was not a wide ratio. i was under the impression that 3rd was changed compared to then mxer thats it. its not the true wr trans found in the wr426 that can be swaped in. maybe its since been changed

The Yz 250x gears are indeed different from the standard yz250, for the most part... 1st and 2nd are identical between the 2 bikes but then 3rd gear is closer to 2nd on the 250x. 4th and 5th gear are then stretched out. This is supposed to give you the perfect bike for woods and desert racing. As for being the same as wr, im not sure on that. From what i heard it isnt the same but dont quote me on that. 

Hey guys, I ended up picking up a 2018 250x yesterday. They were cutting me a way better deal on the standard yz250 but after hereing what you guys had to say about the 250x being a great bike, and me only riding tracks occasionally, i felt the 250x was the way to go. Only thing im a little disappointed at, is that on the yamaha website it says the 250x is roughly an inch shorter but in reality, it isnt... they share the same owners manual and in the owners manual it says they are the same height. So yamaha contradicts itself between the manual and the online bike info... kinda a bummer. Im only 5'6" 150 lbs i could use that extra inch shaved off. I will make a video and do a full review of the bike soon!!!

PS thanks for all the help, you helped me make my decision a little easier. 

5 hours ago, Gearhead20 said:

Hey guys, I ended up picking up a 2018 250x yesterday. They were cutting me a way better deal on the standard yz250 but after hereing what you guys had to say about the 250x being a great bike, and me only riding tracks occasionally, i felt the 250x was the way to go. Only thing im a little disappointed at, is that on the yamaha website it says the 250x is roughly an inch shorter but in reality, it isnt... they share the same owners manual and in the owners manual it says they are the same height. So yamaha contradicts itself between the manual and the online bike info... kinda a bummer. Im only 5'6" 150 lbs i could use that extra inch shaved off. I will make a video and do a full review of the bike soon!!!

PS thanks for all the help, you helped me make my decision a little easier. 

Smart choice. You can always remove kickstand and convert head and ignition to YZ250 but at your size I'm sure the X will be very fast with plenty of power everywhere. It's way more versatile given you don't exclusively ride track. 

On 11/25/2017 at 9:13 AM, Gearhead20 said:

The Yz 250x gears are indeed different from the standard yz250, for the most part... 1st and 2nd are identical between the 2 bikes but then 3rd gear is closer to 2nd on the 250x. 4th and 5th gear are then stretched out. This is supposed to give you the perfect bike for woods and desert racing. As for being the same as wr, im not sure on that. From what i heard it isnt the same but dont quote me on that. 

okay. i was under the impression they were all the same as the yz except 3rd. i stand corrected

I rode my x in my races. Was very solid. Actually thought the engine worked well.