XL125 forks

Does anyone know if 1977 Honda XL 125 fork tubes will accept SL 125 fork legs? My interest is in using my good chrome XL 125 tubes with the straight axle SL 125 fork legs for an AHRMA Classic Class legal front end. I realize the forward axle XL tubes are likely longer, but I can pretty easily restrict their travel.

Thanks a lot.

Those forks are pretty simple to work on.  If all parts are already in house, you can disassemble them and match up both model tubes for any critical differences.

I only have the XL forks. I’d have to purchase SL forks, so would rather know if swapping the lower legs would work first.

You can always go to the microfiche and see if the fork seals interchange.  If they do then you'd at least know the fork diameter is the same.  If he forks are both straight tubes then it's a good chance the other forks will fit your triple clamp.

other option is the find someone to measure their fork tubes.  Then the last option is to just bite the bullet and go buy some forks and try it.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, 400yzturbo said:

You can always go to the microfiche and see if the fork seals interchange.  If they do then you'd at least know the fork diameter is the same.  If he forks are both straight tubes then it's a good chance the other forks will fit your triple clamp.

other option is the find someone to measure their fork tubes.  Then the last option is to just bite the bullet and go buy some forks and try it.

I did some different searches to try to help out the OP. From what I can find, those SL125's are just too old for internet part number references. Maybe a helpful Honda dealer might pull out his old microfiche reader?

I found this in partzilla

I looked under 77 XL125 and under the related parts it shows the SL listed.

IMG_8248.PNG

Thanks guys. I’m aware the fork tubes seem to be the same diameter (31mm). The XL forks are leading axle whereas the SL forks are straight leg. I know it’s a somewhat arbitrary question. I have an opportunity to buy a very rough SL 125 parts bike with completely useless, rusted chrome fork tubes. I have no use for it if I can’t bolt the XL tubes to the SL straight lower legs. Too bad AHRMA won’t allow leading axle forks on these Classic Class baby thumpers.