Long term storage of my bike

Hello

I have a new 2017 CRF450RX with 3 hours on it. Already did the first oil change. I going to have major surgery again and can't ride it for a year, no choice. How do I store it? 

Tell me if I'm missing or wrong please

1. drain tank or run it once a month??

2. Let some air out of tires or have my kinds push it around once a month?

3. Let some air out of the forks to save the seals

4. Set rear shock to so its the least amount sprung to save the spring

5. I already unplugged the battery

6. Let my friends on Thumpertalk ride it for me because we are friends while I make the payments?

This sucks but I shouldn't complain, in the long run I will be better 

Thank you

Nick

I'd drain the gas and put in some clear ethanol free gas at the minimum. That way the pump diaphragm isn't sitting dry and the fuel doesn't get gummy from ethanol. Starting for a bit at least monthly would be wise too. 

Having it on a stand would be good for the tires and suspension seals, even a bucket and wooden blocks on top just to get it off the ground 

It won't rot away over the time sitting. The gas is the main thing to deal with. Oil should be changed after a year of sitting before riding it because it does have a timeout life and will take on a little moisture over time. Had to fully the fuel system out of an bike for my old boss he let sit a year or two with 10% ethanol gas and it was all NASTY chunky brown sludge and varnish. 

May even want to flush out the brakes after sitting since brake fluid absorbs moisture over time. 

Uhhhh, I choose number 6, where do I sign up? Lol.

Though I have never let one of my dirt bikes sit for more than 6 months at a time, i have let my crotch rocket sit for 8 years. And this year I finally got it back on the road. I know many people have different tips on storing there bikes, sleds, vehicles etc. I would definitely store it with Rec fuel in it (non ethanol gas). This will prevent your seals from getting getting dissolved and keep them from drying out. Change the oil before you put it away and do no start it after you put new oil in it. Oil breaks down overtime but heating the oil up by running the bike will excessivly break it down. And you dont want the oil to break down faster than it naturally will. Definitely put the bike on a stand. Lube the chain and i would keep the suggested tire pressure in the tires. As for the suspension, what you said seems good. Being a brand new bike you shouldnt have to worry about linkage or anything else locking up or sticking. Before you bust the bike back out change the oil once again.

Just my 2 cents. 

Feel better,heal up and ride on!

-Joe

Edited by Gearhead20

If your in a cold climate a battery tender would be better than just removing.

From Shorai's website regarding their lithium batteries:

"If the battery is left on a shelf for several months it is normal to see the voltage drop to the nominal voltage of 13.2V.  If the battery is fully charged to 14.4V and placed on the shelf it can sit for up to 1 year before charging is required."

Your specific battery determines the charging frequency.

Best of luck with your surgery. :thumbsup:

"

Thank you all for the help. I was working on the bike today giving it a solid bath before it gets a nap. I even used air to make sure all the crannies had no water left in them. I'm in Northern California so cold means you have to wear a shirt with sleeves so no issue there. Greasing the chain is something I forgot so I need to do that, got a stand and the oil has 30 minutes on it but I will change it so its not broken down in any way before storage plus it takes like 20 minutes so no biggie. Fix the fuel and take care of some of the other suggestions and cover it up.

Thank you for all of your help

Nick 

2 hours ago, nickmarine said:

Thank you all for the help. I was working on the bike today giving it a solid bath before it gets a nap. I even used air to make sure all the crannies had no water left in them. I'm in Northern California so cold means you have to wear a shirt with sleeves so no issue there. Greasing the chain is something I forgot so I need to do that, got a stand and the oil has 30 minutes on it but I will change it so its not broken down in any way before storage plus it takes like 20 minutes so no biggie. Fix the fuel and take care of some of the other suggestions and cover it up.

Thank you for all of your help

Nick 

Good deal man. Good luck with your surgery and recovery

good luck with your surgery.  Here's a great site for finding ethanol free gas stations near you:

https://www.pure-gas.org/

-Grease all the bearings
-Have it spotlessly clean so there is no dirt stains
-store it in a heated area
- I just start mine once a month when I'm storing it.

-then sell it to me