Tools to make a turn/rut track

Having a lot of issues with turns and exits and want to make an oval track and a figure 8 track. The ground here is extremely hard and would take FOREVER to get what I want by just riding it. 

Anybody have any tips to speed the process up? I’d love to find a tiller or something gas powered that is narrow enough to speed things up. 

Cheapest option other than a pick axe would probably be to rent a grading tractor with a box blade and ripping teeth.

5 minutes ago, kurbe397 said:

Cheapest option other than a pick axe would probably be to rent a grading tractor with a box blade and ripping teeth.

I’ve been looking at rental stuff. 

https://www.homedepot.com/tool-truck-rental/mobile/Trencher-18/T-4-HS18/

think this would work? I’m gonna try and google what you recommended lol

Ok I looked at what you said and it looks like a little more than what I’m wanting right now. Just looking for one rut/line right now. 

Limited on soace and land, if I had enough I’d do more but for now I just want one rut. 

One of these, and a spade. Some elbow grease and 3-4 hoursbest_garden_grubber.png?v=1481599113

19 minutes ago, LukeYZ426F said:

I’ve been looking at rental stuff. 

https://www.homedepot.com/tool-truck-rental/mobile/Trencher-18/T-4-HS18/

think this would work? I’m gonna try and google what you recommended lol

Wont get nice moto style ruts easily by just using that.  I have made awesome turn tracks on spots that were really hard baked clay.  

What I did: 

1- Rent a rototiller

2- Till the entire track as deep as possible. And as wide as possible.

3- (optional, but recommended)  Add a good amount of sand to the turns, and before the turns, and especially right after the turns. Keeps the dirt from getting baked rock solid again.  Also dissipates water better so its not holding puddles so bad after it rains.

4- Roto till the sand so it mixes with the dirt below

5- Ride it a lot.  Ruts will form naturally, and those are the best kind of ruts.  Digging them with the trencher wont make the same natural shape that your bike will.

After that, i have had berms, ruts, braking bumps, and whoops just form from riding.  The more sand, the more it will get whooped out.  Eventually started to form millville style whoops that you could double and get rhythm in.  It was awesome.  

Home Depot route...

Capture02.JPG.51cf77bc4b7f5911672af1455e134976.JPG

Old man with a sore back route...

Capture.JPG.dad9fcbc0fab353deba4f556c2c628ca.JPG

Home Depot route...
Capture02.JPG.51cf77bc4b7f5911672af1455e134976.JPG

Old man with a sore back route...
Capture.JPG.dad9fcbc0fab353deba4f556c2c628ca.JPG

I giggled at this

The amount you'll spend on renting a machine is a lot of gas in your bike.

A rented a machine doesn't make you a better rider. Flat turns are by far the hardest to get good at. 

44 minutes ago, BoxcarWilly said:

The amount you'll spend on renting a machine is a lot of gas in your bike.

A rented a machine doesn't make you a better rider. Flat turns are by far the hardest to get good at. 

While I agree that’s usally the case, I have a serious mental complex with ruts. It’s moslty a vision thing but only have the issue with ruts so ruts I shall make. 

I could care less about $89 is gas for my bike lol. I want ruts! And like I said it would take for ever to make them by riding. 

I once removed sod with a shovel, which uncovered some surprisingly hard dirt.  I chopped this borderline sand-stone dirt with that shovel to "till" the dirt.  That was my first turn track that I ever made.  It took me about 35 hours of work before it was even ready to ride at all, but I was a 17 year old with no extra money.  

Local dude with rubber tire backhoe might do it pretty cheap..

I made a circle rut at an practice riding area we go to and it helped me a ton. At first it was 25 feet in diameter. I built it old school with a pick adze, spade and a refuse rake. Took a solid couple of hours. It was too tight for my 450 at first but i could get my boys KX85 in it no problem. I did have to clear out an area for you foot as well so more time when into it. Still a bitch on the full size bike so I put more sweat equity into it later and increased the diameter to 30 feet. That worked better. I could not stay in it long at all at first so would try it, dig it, try it, groom it more etc etc. It was worth the investment. I learned a lot and a ton about throttle, clutch modulation and also dragging the front brake a bit. My efforts can be seem from google earth. If you do make one, they are well worth it but do need to be kept up. You cannot get the same experience just riding a track.

Wait until it rains a bunch and ride it over and over. Quickest and cheapest way in my experience. 

A rototiller works great

Well, after all this research and talk about power equipment I went and bought a pick axe tho g with the flat blade on one side and a point on the other! 

637BE075-F130-490E-9D75-33148F6FB9A5.jpeg

272093A3-7492-41D5-8F04-43B10C83D686.jpeg

668E8F01-1D3A-4BB0-80A2-E8D4180032B0.jpeg

I think its called a Mattock.  A very handy tool for trackbuilding and my goto tool. Cam.

Pictures are before it got rode in good. The lighter color rut is deep enough that if I hit it fast enough I drag a lot of stuff like peg, chain guide, my leg lol. Gonna shovel the inside down a touch. Darker rut needs to be watered and rode. I took 5 gallons of water out and used in on the light colored rut and it worked great. 

As as you can see I’ve got a lot of work to do! 

Looks good.  I dug in a corner rut with a shovel, it was plenty of work.  I think that Mattock may be better and since I need a right-hander I might have to pick on up!!