Jump to content

Portable battery mod?

Recommended Posts

Been reading up on battery relocation mods, and don't really like any of the ones I've seen. I don't want a bunch of stuff in my airbox, I definitely don't want it up under the fender, and I haven't found any other solutions. Had just decided I didn't care that much and that the stock set up is fine, but then I got to thinking. Has anyone here modded an XR650L or similar so that there's no battery at all, and you use one of those portable things like for motorcross? I didn't grow up racing, so don't know much about those things, so wondering if anyone could fill me in with the pros and cons of going this route? Or if anyone has a battery/fuse/CDI relocation mod better than the ones out there? No offense Spud, that write up here and on ADV rules, just wanna try something different.

Thanks gents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah good question. Sorry, my ignorance here is even more clear. What I'm asking about is having a bike that has no battery attached to it, and you carry a portable unit that packs enough juice for 5 or so starts a day and you recharge it every night at home. Don't know much more about these than that, or if they even exist, but I have a distant friend who raced motocross that explained some such device to me once. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're planning to do this, you would be wise to make the kickstart conversion first.  Instructions are in a sticky note at the top of the first page.

Something to think about - I have a higher compression piston in my XR650L and a top of the line Yuasa AGM battery can barely get it past the first compression stroke sometimes.  There is no way I would trust some small portable battery that's only good for five "normal" starts.  But if you put a kicstart on the bike, then the starter is only a helper and you'll probably have much better luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/19/2017 at 1:42 PM, johngang said:

Ah good question. Sorry, my ignorance here is even more clear. What I'm asking about is having a bike that has no battery attached to it, and you carry a portable unit that packs enough juice for 5 or so starts a day and you recharge it every night at home. Don't know much more about these than that, or if they even exist, but I have a distant friend who raced motocross that explained some such device to me once. Thanks

Interested to hear what the goal is.  If it's just for something to do I totally get that, I try strange stuff like that all the time.

Where would you carry the portable unit?  Could you just mount the battery in that container permanently?

How about a new battery box behind the starter or under a fender rack?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good call on the kick starter, that's probably wise.

And I'm just thinking of ways to get the BRP to be as light and simple as possible, so thought, what about *no* battery?! Maybe too impractical, but can anyone point me to some portable version of what they use to start motorcross bikes? Not even sure what that would be called thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, johngang said:

..can anyone point me to some portable version of what they use to start motorcross bikes? Not even sure what that would be called thanks

I thought that every motocross bike was started with a kick starter.  I can't remember ever seeing any other way to start one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, johngang said:

Good call on the kick starter, that's probably wise.

And I'm just thinking of ways to get the BRP to be as light and simple as possible, so thought, what about *no* battery?! Maybe too impractical, but can anyone point me to some portable version of what they use to start motorcross bikes? Not even sure what that would be called thanks

   :facepalm:  Motorcross ?    :lol:      MOTOCROSS , MOTOCROSS , it's MOTOCROSS.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the batter is going to be separate, you might as well have the starter be separate as well.  Hillclimb guys do that.  They have a starter motor and a battery pack.  When they want to start the bike, they slide the starter up to the engine, and then crank the engine over.  Then they pull the starter motor back off, set it in their trailer with the batter pack, and go ride the bike.  Its not something you can just buy off of the shelf.  You gotta make that kind of thing in your garage. 

Motocross bikes use kick starters.  There is a thread about converting the XR650L to kick start in this forum.  You should go check it out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the left side of the bike  , there's a black ''box'' behind the number plate that looks like the perfect place for a battery.    :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a 600r with a DC lighting system. I got the battery and battery box for an xr250l horizontally mounted under the rear fender.
I don't do dirt on that bike though. So I don't know about hopping around.
I leave the two side bolts in, but remove seat and rear fenders two rearest bolts, on the curve part on the frame. And I tip the taillight down, rear fender lifts and exposes battery if I need to get it. 4 bolts total.
But my battery charges off a reg/rec and a Ricky. All its working is AC Spark, AC TT Vapor, AC headlight, and a DC DOT lighting system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/21/2017 at 4:00 PM, JoeRC51 said:

   :facepalm:  Motorcross ?    :lol:      MOTOCROSS , MOTOCROSS , it's MOTOCROSS.    

doh! wasn't a racer obviously. uncle did flat track so i came to big singles like the xr sorta through the back door.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, dirtjumpordie said:

If the batter is going to be separate, you might as well have the starter be separate as well.  Hillclimb guys do that.  They have a starter motor and a battery pack.  When they want to start the bike, they slide the starter up to the engine, and then crank the engine over.  Then they pull the starter motor back off, set it in their trailer with the batter pack, and go ride the bike.  Its not something you can just buy off of the shelf.  You gotta make that kind of thing in your garage. 

Motocross bikes use kick starters.  There is a thread about converting the XR650L to kick start in this forum.  You should go check it out. 

yeah this is a smart answer i wasn't thinking about actually, thanks. but now i'm worried by the post below about stalls and dumps that putting MOTOCROSS guys on e-starts.

8 minutes ago, notoriousE-R-I-C said:

I have a 600r with a DC lighting system. I got the battery and battery box for an xr250l horizontally mounted under the rear fender.
I don't do dirt on that bike though. So I don't know about hopping around.
I leave the two side bolts in, but remove seat and rear fenders two rearest bolts, on the curve part on the frame. And I tip the taillight down, rear fender lifts and exposes battery if I need to get it. 4 bolts total.
But my battery charges off a reg/rec and a Ricky. All its working is AC Spark, AC TT Vapor, AC headlight, and a DC DOT lighting system.
 

do you have pictures of this set up? would be super interested in something similar actually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can take some tonight. But there's a video one of the neighborhood youngens put up on YouTube.
Search xr600r lighting system. I'm not sure of the title. But it shows the DC system I had to make work off DC, with motor off, to pass a federal test to re register it after it was "totalled" in an accident.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×