Hey guys, I recently picked up a street legal 1985 XR600R for $1100.  Has a 628cc big bore with, 10.3:1 compression piston, and a the "big fin" head.  Great bike so far.  I already had some modern motocross forks and plastics that I'm going to put on it to make it ride a little better off road.  Before I went with this XR, I was looking at the DRZ400S and the DRZ400SM, but people around here are asking $3,000+ for them, which isn't a HUGE amount of money, but I couldn't justify spending that much considering other bills and investments.  

Anyway, I told my buddy about my bike, and he said "Aw man I wish you would've got a DRZ so you could come ride singletrack and supermoto with me." ............ "well I mean, you could still probably do it, but I just mean that bike is pretty heavy to go out and ride out where I ride.  Fire roads and stuff, yeahh, but idk about singletrack."....  I knew we were talking different languages at that point, so I'm just going to let the conclusion present itself to us both on our first few rides together.  

My thoughts after the conversation:   My XR does not feel as heavy as I remember his bike feeling.  So I looked up the weights of each bike.  With all of the fluids (oil and coolant full) and NO gasoline, his bike weighs 301Lbs.  With all of the fluids except gasoline, my XR600R weighs 270Lbs!!  Plus, even a stock XR600R has 10hp advantage and gobs more torque than his stock DRZ.

I've noticed a lot of dualsport riders who view the DRZ400S as a capable off road machine, but view the XR600R as a pig that should stay on a beaten dirt path and pavement.  What does the DRZ have that the XR doesn't have when it comes to riding it like an actual dirtbike?  I know electric start is handy, but I'm only talking about motorcycle performance here.  I know that the DRZ is a great bike and that you can do pretty much anything on it.  Same for the XR.  I also know that both bikes are heavier than Mx bikes and Xc race bikes.  

So whats behind this theory?  Is there any way for my pig to provide me with the DRZ greatness that my XR628R is depriving me of??  

Edited by dirtjumpordie
  • Like 1

I'm not that familiar with the 600. I was looking for either a DRZ400 or an XR650. Both are similar enough to me. The edge went to the DRZ because SM wheels are readily available. I'm short and may be forced to use 17's to ride comfortably. That was the only "edge" I found.

5 minutes ago, Padilen said:

I'm not that familiar with the 600. I was looking for either a DRZ400 or an XR650. Both are similar enough to me. The edge went to the DRZ because SM wheels are readily available. I'm short and may be forced to use 17's to ride comfortably. That was the only "edge" I found.

Oh I see.  And yeah that XR650L is 60lbs heavier than my XR600R.

The DRZ is 290 , the early 600r is 295 and the XRL is 320 , all dry in stock form.  I took 16 lbs. of crap off of my XRL the day I bought it new. Full of fuel it's 320 now. Midgets that can't touch the ground buy DRZs.  :lol:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JoeRC51 said:

The DRZ is 290 , the early 600r is 295 and the XRL is 320 , all dry in stock form.  I took 16 lbs. of crap off of my XRL the day I bought it new. Full of fuel it's 320 now. Midgets that can't touch the ground buy DRZs.  :lol:

False.  Also, dry weight is misleading when you are comparing a water cooled bike to an air cooled bike.  You can ride the XR600R within 5lbs of its dry weight of 266.5 Lbs.  You cannot ride a DRZ400S or DRZ400Sm under 301Lbs.  To get an idea of the bike's actual weight, compare wet weight minus fuel weight.  They all have different sized fuel tanks, which is why wet weight doesn't mean shit to me when it includes fuel weight.  You can fill them all with equal amounts of fuel to do a real back to back comparison.  Wet weight minus fuel weight is what you look at when you actually want to get an idea of which bike is gonna be heavier to ride.  You can't put a 1L fuel tank on a bike, compare it to a bike with a 5 gallon fuel tank, and then tout about it having a lighter wet weight Lol. 

I don't know where you got your dry weight measurement for the 1985-1987 XR600R, but it was wrong. 

XR600R Advertisement.jpg

Edited by dirtjumpordie

Motorcycle Specs. They probably have the same weight indicated for all of the 600s , but their ''dry'' is also likely only empty of fuel.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JoeRC51 said:

Motorcycle Specs. They probably have the same weight indicated for all of the 600s , but their ''dry'' is also likely only empty of fuel.

Yeah I saw that on their website.  I emailed them about it just now so they can correct it.  I also found a page from an old Dirt Rider magazine in which they weighed the 1985 XR600R wet with no fuel.  It was 281Lbs.  Mine is just over 270, but I have a different muffler and some other minor things.  

I had an XR400 for a few years before I got my DRZ, which I've had now for 9years. I never weighed the bikes, but the DRZ feels way lighter than the XR

I had an 84 XLR for 12ish years and it went some awesome places. Ya it was heavy but it depends on your skills. I thought I was decent on it till I watched my buddy fly over the tops of some 3 foot deep whoops on it... I only rolled them and still do on my DR350SE. I could go tons of places another buddy wouldn't try on his YZ426. It all depends on you.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, JoeRC51 said:

The XR400R is 256 dry.

It must be the way the weight is distributed

6 hours ago, Dmouse said:

It must be the way the weight is distributed

Which DRZ do you have?  I have heard that the off-road only version weighs a good amount less than the dualsport DRZ weighs.  Its kickstart only.

With bith bikes in stock form, i do think that the DRZ ergonomics are better than my XR ergos. I think the bars are too close to the gas tank on my XR.  

Does anybody else feel like low bars make bikes feel heavier?  Kinda makes sense when i think about it.  The bars are closer to the bike's center of mass, which gives less leverage.

Edited by dirtjumpordie

Guys just a quick reminder, no one rides a scale ~ but we do ride dirt bikes.  That said, a DRZ is about 20 years ahead of an XR600 in design, the DRZ's suspension is far better and I shouldn't have to point out the better brakes.  So even if an XR600 is 10 pounds less the DRZ it will still be able to handle it better than a lighter XR600 (that's if you believe the posted weights). 

I totally agree that the XR600 was an awesome bike in it's day, but that day has passed.  Enter the DRZ.

Because the DRZ is newer it also has a stronger support from the aftermarket.  Big bore and stroker kits are available, and an endless number of mods like pumper carbs and higher watt stators.  And let's not forget, when the DRZ came out it was generally accepted that it was a better XR400 not XR600.

• Like 4

I've ridden xr350's both 84' (which is a little heavier) and 85' currently. Even these 350's are extremely heavy by today's standards but I have done many an extreme single track on them with no trouuble. My riding partner rode a 1983 IT490 which is also heavy and an xr400. Any of these bikes can be taken on extremely trails and they're a similar weight to your xr600.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, dirtjumpordie said:

Which DRZ do you have?  I have heard that the off-road only version weighs a good amount less than the dualsport DRZ weighs.  Its kickstart only.

With bith bikes in stock form, i do think that the DRZ ergonomics are better than my XR ergos. I think the bars are too close to the gas tank on my XR.  

Does anybody else feel like low bars make bikes feel heavier?  Kinda makes sense when i think about it.  The bars are closer to the bike's center of mass, which gives less leverage.

Not sure about Dmouse, but I use to own a '05 DRZ400s.  Bought a second set of SM wheels for it and a speedo pickup, so I could flip between dirt and street mode as quick as you could change the wheels.  I did make two concessions. one is that I used the S model front brake on the street, the SM used a bigger disk but the S was fine for the riding that I did.  The other was the gearing.  Just to make it easier to flip from dirt to street mode I used the same rear sprocket size, as long as I stayed off any long distance freeway rides I was golden.

As for the DRZ types:

Base 400 (early 2000 model year) was off-road and kick start only

Early 400e models were off-road electric start

400se were street legal

400sm came out "around" 2005 (I'm really not sure of the year)

2005 <a href='https://thumpertalk.com/link/click/4688/' rel='nofollow' data-ipsHover-target='https://thumpertalk.com/index.php?app=autolink&module=links&controller=content&id=4688' data-ipsHover target='_blank' rel='noopener' data-autoLink>Suzuki</a> DRZ400_R_R.jpg

Edited by zig06
added picture
  • Like 1

Later XRs have cartridge forks and rear disc brakes , so the only advancement the DRZ has over an XR is water cooling , brakes and suspension are comparable. There is probably equal aftermarket support for both.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JoeRC51 said:

Later XRs have cartridge forks and rear disc brakes , so the only advancement the DRZ has over an XR is water cooling , brakes and suspension are comparable. There is probably equal aftermarket support for both.

The Honda in question is a 1985 XR600 with a big bore kit.

I'm still voting for the DRZ, it most likely has the same or more power even if it gives up 200cc's of displacement.

Edited by zig06

The XRs several more HP and 10 lb-ft of torque. With a decent knobby on the back it could literally bury your DRZ.   :lol:

• Like 4