Anyone local have a 17 KTM 300 or Husky 300 I could test out?

I'm thinking of getting a 2017 KTM 300 XC (or whatever the Husky equivalent is).  I'd like to see if this counterbalancer thing and all the 2017 updates are really worth it over a '12-'16 bike and just see how they handle in general.

I have property at a good riding spot near Rosamond.  We can ride there and get a good loop in of any difficulty you'd like, and I'll bring the beer in a cooler for afterwards.

Kenny has one he never uses

Kenny has one he never uses

 

Step away from my mother fu*k1n bike b1t*h!!

 

The Anvil has them all. :thumbsup:

20 minutes ago, mitchb said:

 

Step away from my mother fu*k1n bike b1t*h!!

 

win.

Does that mean there's a used one someone is thinking of selling?

9 hours ago, GHILL28 said:

Does that mean there's a used one someone is thinking of selling?

I'm sure there is, but Mitch sounds serious this time. 🔫🔫

12 hours ago, GHILL28 said:

I'm thinking of getting a 2017 KTM 300 XC (or whatever the Husky equivalent is).  I'd like to see if this counterbalancer thing and all the 2017 updates are really worth it over a '12-'16 bike and just see how they handle in general.

I have property at a good riding spot near Rosamond.  We can ride there and get a good loop in of any difficulty you'd like, and I'll bring the beer in a cooler for afterwards.

I have a 17 300 xc. But it's a Ktm. Same as what you're planning on for the most part. I went from a 14 Husky. The difference is fairly noticeable. But more in the geometry than anything, front end sits a bit higher and the linkage has been changed as well. There is less vibration though for sure and the power delivery is a bit more smooth than my 14. The air fork (aer48) is surprisingly good, like really good. This 17 is the first brand new bike I've bought that felt perfectly comfortable straight off the floor. My 2 cents for what it's worth. 

If the boys are planning another snake pit ride and you're there I have no problem with you trying it out. Especially if you've got a 500 that I can try out. That's next for me. Snake pit is in the cross hairs boys. Hehehe.:devil:

I have a 1964 Honda CL you are welcome to try

 

 

...but it's not free, no sir

Edited by THE KRAN

Pretty, oh so pretty....

IMG_1638.jpg

43 minutes ago, KDY said:

I have a 17 300 xc. But it's a Ktm. Same as what you're planning on for the most part. I went from a 14 Husky. The difference is fairly noticeable. But more in the geometry than anything, front end sits a bit higher and the linkage has been changed as well. There is less vibration though for sure and the power delivery is a bit more smooth than my 14. The air fork (aer48) is surprisingly good, like really good. This 17 is the first brand new bike I've bought that felt perfectly comfortable straight off the floor. My 2 cents for what it's worth. 

If the boys are planning another snake pit ride and you're there I have no problem with you trying it out. Especially if you've got a 500 that I can try out. That's next for me. Snake pit is in the cross hairs boys. Hehehe.:devil:

Awesome, thanks for the input.  I value the input of anyone who regularly rides that area highly as that's where I do 90% of my riding these days.  You can't really explain what the demands of that place are to people who haven't experienced it for themselves, like how steep it can get and how loose/raw it is.

The higher front end sounds good.  That's been one of my main hangups with the KTM/Husky fit and geometry in the past.  Felt like a road bike.

I don't have a 500.  Have a 450FX that I'm considering changing out for the 300.  But you're welcome to try that too just for kicks.

Anytime you want to head out there is fine with me.  I'm around through the holiday next weekend with commitments on Thanksgiving day but that's it.

Awesome, thanks for the input.  I value the input of anyone who regularly rides that area highly as that's where I do 90% of my riding these days.  You can't really explain what the demands of that place are to people who haven't experienced it for themselves, like how steep it can get and how loose/raw it is.
The higher front end sounds good.  That's been one of my main hangups with the KTM/Husky fit and geometry in the past.  Felt like a road bike.
I don't have a 500.  Have a 450FX that I'm considering changing out for the 300.  But you're welcome to try that too just for kicks.
Anytime you want to head out there is fine with me.  I'm around through the holiday next weekend with commitments on Thanksgiving day but that's it.

I would say the last generation KTM had a bit more snap to the motor. The ‘17’s feel a bit more lazy, which can be a good thing depending on the type of riding your doing. But once you install a higher compression head, that really livens up the ‘17’s and spreads out the power between gears. I put on a RK-Tek head and could really notice the difference. Great addition. Bumped compression from ~195 to ~220

And the vibration reduction in the ‘17’s is very noticeable.
Just now, KennyMc said:


I would say the last generation KTM had a bit more snap to the motor. The ‘17’s feel a bit more lazy, which can be a good thing depending on the type of riding your doing. But once you install a higher compression head, that really livens up the ‘17’s and spreads out the power between gears. I put on a RK-Tek head and could really notice the difference. Great addition. Bumped compression from ~195 to ~220

And the vibration reduction in the ‘17’s is very noticeable.

The kind of power I want out of the thing is what you'd get from a '12-'16 with an SX head and CDI.  The couple of those I've ridden have been every bit as fast as my Yamaha 450's.

I'm unfamiliar with the RK-Tek head.  Is that similar to getting the head cut by RB but a replacement unit?  I've had stellar results from that in the past, so I figure that's one of the first things I would do with it.

I'm sure there is, but Mitch sounds serious this time.

Pretty, oh so pretty....

IMG_1638.thumb.jpg.393625d2013b6c57ea6406ea07a08335.jpg


33a01a30825196f4b00f785417b3d5989a7700faf618468906251a30e3d5d8df.jpg

You can ride mine if Dan and I ever come down to ride, or if you ever come up North.

21 minutes ago, NAYR said:

You can ride mine if Dan and I ever come down to ride, or if you ever come up North.

Dan is too busy dressing like a princess and prancing around in gay bars in the mission district while maintaining the facade of a live-in gf.  I'm not counting on any moto trips out of him soon, especially not to a place like that requires a pair to even ride it.

1 hour ago, mitchb said:

 

 


33a01a30825196f4b00f785417b3d5989a7700faf618468906251a30e3d5d8df.jpg

 

 

You need a 500!

2 hours ago, GHILL28 said:

The kind of power I want out of the thing is what you'd get from a '12-'16 with an SX head and CDI.  The couple of those I've ridden have been every bit as fast as my Yamaha 450's.

I'm unfamiliar with the RK-Tek head.  Is that similar to getting the head cut by RB but a replacement unit?  I've had stellar results from that in the past, so I figure that's one of the first things I would do with it.

It might offer a little bit more than just a head cut as he says it increase coolant capacity as well.  And the bling......oh, the bling :goofy:

http://www.2strokeheads.com/KTMPERFORMANCE.htm

 

Kenny Bling.JPG

1 hour ago, GHILL28 said:

Dan is too busy dressing like a princess and prancing around in gay bars in the mission district while maintaining the facade of a live-in gf.  I'm not counting on any moto trips out of him soon, especially not to a place like that requires a pair to even ride it.

Well I am down for a trip. Just have to make it a 2-3 day trip as it's a long drive for me down there solo. I'm off from med school the 15th-31st of December.

I’ve got a TE-300 husky you can try if you weigh #240. I got the fat man springs on her. I got a clake 2 on it as well to confuse you. The TE is more of an enduro set-up. The TX is a gncc/hare scramble setup.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now