2002 CR250 won't idle after PWK install.

Hello all, this is my first post. I've been reading stuff on here for a while now because I just recently acquired a 2002 CR250.  When I first got it, it was dumping fuel out the overflow and the old tap tap taparoo on the bowl didn't fix it. I was planning on pulling the carb off and cleaning it but then I read how crappy the stock mikuni carb was. So i decided to just buy the JD Jetting air striker. Got it installed today and now the bike won't idle at all. The idle adjustment does nothing. If I keep the throttle cracked a bit it runs great, but as soon as I let off the throttle it dies.

I installed the carb with a 175 main, 45 pilot, and the blue needle with clip on 3rd position like the instructions said.  Could it be the throttle cable?  I played with the adjustment on the handle bars but that didn't do anything. I don't know enough about these bikes or carbs to troubleshoot so I am asking for some advice. 

Edited by Leavy30

Did you crank in the spring-loaded idle speed adjustment screw? You gotta go way in, usually, before the needle on it starts to push up the slide a little to allow more air in to get a decent idle.

Yes maybe you were playing with the air screw. Black idle screw is what your after.

I have the air screw at 1 1/2 turns out.  I'll try tightening down the idle adjuster and see what that does.  Thanks for the replies. 

Well I feel like an idiot. Eddie8v that was the problem, just didn't have it adjusted in far enough.  You really have to crank that thing down before it starts to make a difference.  I tell you what though, the bike is like a whole new bike with this carb on it.  Now on to the top end. Going to get it all torn apart and cleaned up over the winter. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go. 

Yeah, the amount you gotta crank that thing before it makes contact catches most by surprise. Glad I could help.