FE350S valve cover big leak

This morning I fired up the bike to test a new fuel map, and it started smoking.  Right side valve cover gasket had a significant leak, very sudden, and it was getting all over the header.  Bike has been parked for awhile while I made some mods to it.  What I am trying to figure out is if this is common, or if something I did might have caused it.  It is coming out with gusto every time I rev it, like spraying.  The only recent modifications have been desmog and fuel map/PCV.  I am not much of a mechanic and wonder if capping a vent hose on the cover left side maybe is related?  It is a big enough leak that I don't want to ride it until the cover is pulled and new gasket and sealant put on.

huskyleak.JPG

The vent on the cover is a breather that vents to intake boot. It must not be plugged

• Like 1

As mentioned by Lunger, If you capped the valve cover vent , that's likely the issue, and if you ride it, good possibility of blowing bearing seals too.

• Like 1

Thanks!  Yeah, I used a desmog kit from Blaise Racing.  A pic of the plug is attached from the instructions.  I suppose I could put this hose back, or some sort of breather on the valve cover.

husky plug.JPG

Edited by pearson26

Oh, crap, I know what I did.  Ding ding ding.  I'm a dummy.  Breather hose on airbox and plug on valve cover.  I hate to admit this but I think that is what I did.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pearson26 said:

Oh, crap, I know what I did.  Ding ding ding.  I'm a dummy.  Breather hose on airbox and plug on valve cover.  I hate to admit this but I think that is what I did.

You only do that once!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Marc Salvisberg said:

You only do that once!

I feel pretty silly.  You're right, won't do that again.  Hopefully I didn't totally ruin the gasket.  It would be nice to wait until valve check.