Dirtrider 2018 Beta 300 rr

Just got Dirtrider Beta 300 rr test article. What do you guys think of their “test”?

54D3510C-972A-4047-A790-904965C3593E.jpeg

C0F14A13-A548-461A-8E84-9B1137BA0E05.jpeg

34E937AD-C487-41C8-A1E9-B18A93049378.jpeg

That’s right... 1 page and 3 pics...

Typical Beta vibration. With old school motor it's like riding a CR500. Beta's vibrate and numb your hands in just a mater of minutes. That part of the article I agree with.

I don't agree with the "strong top end" statement. All the Beta 300's and 250's sign off very early in the power band. The KTM/TM 300's pull super hard all the way to the engine screaming like a go cart. The KTM 2T's also have almost zero vibration. 

It's really too bad Beta cant seem to get it right with their 2T bikes. I applaud the riders out there that can put up and modify the subpar quality and shortcomings of the Beta 2T's and actually win races with them. 

Give them a few more years and maybe they can catch up to the quality of other manufacturers. As it is right now the older 498 carbed big bore was the only Beta worthy of being race ready and reliable out of the crate.

Please don't take my word for it. Just ask Nick and Axle of Purvines racing why they dropped racing Beta's. They are in the business of winning races and they were both struggling on the Betas. Winning races but too many motor and FI replacements to keep the bikes running. The 480 FI models were just not up to the build quality and reliability of Yamaha's.

Critical of the overall power saying it's down compared to KTM. OK. Do you need that extra 3-5 horsepower to recreationally ride trails? How about overall ability to grunt along and get traction where others don't? 

I'm coming off Japanese motocrossers so I don't feel the Beta vibrates that much even compared to a counter-balanced KTM 2017+.

Many comparisons to race bikes in the article yet they tested a 300RR not the 300RR race model. Could have had different results had they tested the actual race model and gave it race expectations. 

Edited by shrubitup

How’s the conclusion? “The Beta 300 does well for what it’s designed to be : a fun bike for the casual offroader” 

:smirk::doh: 

E3 WEC for 2016 and 2017 :facepalm:

Dirtrider doesn’t even mention the BYOB program which is huge. Anyone can buy a custom designed bike with any mods you like including different suspension tuned custom for your riding style. Dirtrider doesn’t mention the 6 month warranty. It’s just a half assed excuse for a “test”. It’s actually less than a page for a “review “. They should have just said it was a first look . This way they embarrass themselves with huge blocks of relevant information not included and just more incompetence or just straight laziness having no care or professionalism to everyone just give an adequate review. It’s sad when anyone can go to the Beta website and get a better idea of what any buyer gets for their money. This isn’t a Beta specific thing as far as Dirtrider here. It’s just that I happen to own a Beta and just know the basics of what anyone gets when they buy the bike. When Dirtrider straight up doesn’t include basic info it’s just half assed. It’s been that Dirtrider has been running lower standards in the past . I just hoped that theyed up their basic standards. As it is I think if they are this half assed about a bike and company I know then I can’t trust much of what they say about other bikes either. It’s still coming down to watching Dirtrider articles like they are a &%$#@!ing catalogue.:facepalm::doh:

http://www.betausa.com/

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

Dirtrider doesn’t even mention the BYOB program which is huge.

Actually they do, in the "Whats hot" section. It is to bad they don't make a bigger deal about it though.

Suspension "too stiff" on the RR ... can't wait until it actually breaks in :lol:

21 minutes ago, motoxgiant said:

Suspension "too stiff" on the RR ... can't wait until it actually breaks in :lol:

And just about every earlier tests and reviews always argued that earlier rrs are too soft stock. :facepalm::smirk:

3 hours ago, shrubitup said:

Critical of the overall power saying it's down compared to KTM. OK. Do you need that extra 3-5 horsepower to recreationally ride trails? How about overall ability to grunt along and get traction where others don't? 

I'm coming off Japanese motocrossers so I don't feel the Beta vibrates that much even compared to a counter-balanced KTM 2017+.

Many comparisons to race bikes in the article yet they tested a 300RR not the 300RR race model. Could have had different results had they tested the actual race model and gave it race expectations. 

You don’t know much about Betas yet shrub. To me that’s part of what’s so shitty about Dirtrider. It’s giving those that don’t know wrong or misleading info.. and just no and not enough info. . Really there’s almost no difference in the motor between an rr and a race edition and if one wants one can put a different fork to make the rr the same as The race edition suspension. It makes more sense to buy a race edition but the thing is with a Beta you can get a cusomized bike if you want. That’s huge because you can’t with any other bike. The rr comes with oil injection and the race edition doesn’t but comes with the option. From what I can and I think anyone is what the factory racers get to ride.. and noteably Holcombe who’s won the last 2 years of E3 world champion is not much different that what anyone can buy from the dealer.  As an example..

1 hour ago, Baxter67 said:

Dirtrider doesn’t even mention the BYOB program which is huge.

Actually they do, in the "Whats hot" section. It is to bad they don't make a bigger deal about it though.

Yea thanks.. it’s the smallest possible mention and actually not even part of the article. It’s a big part of maybe choosing a Beta for some. Everyone wants to know what they get for their money when they buy a bike. If Im buying ktm or husky or sherco or whatever the most basic thing is to just have a list of good and not as good that’s accurate then you just compare for your needs with the other bikes. Just bitching about Dirtrider being half assed... again.  

You don’t know much about Betas yet shrub. To me that’s part of what’s so shitty about Dirtrider. It’s giving those that don’t know wrong or misleading info.. and just no and not enough info. . Really there’s almost no difference in the motor between an rr and a race edition and if one wants one can put a different fork to make the rr the same as The race edition suspension. It makes more sense to buy a race edition but the thing is with a Beta you can get a cusomized bike if you want. That’s huge because you can’t with any other bike. The rr comes with oil injection and the race edition doesn’t but comes with the option. From what I can and I think anyone is what the factory racers get to ride.. and noteably Holcombe who’s won the last 2 years of E3 world champion is not much different that what anyone can buy from the dealer.  As an example..

Shrub learned plenty about Betas yesterday as we tore up some nasty shit with his new 300rr. He couldn't wipe the smile off his face at the end of the gnar trails.

As always the 250rr climbed along nicely as well. GPs recommended setup with the Suzuki needle worked great. And first ride without the OI also worked great. Less spooge which I found interesting (same premix oil).

pirate bikes  aaaR...aaaR  ;)   lower seat height and starter that worked gave them a good run on ktm a few years ago around here. Article looked like a fair review to me .

Edited by highmarker

After riding multiple of my buddies 17 + KTMs with the counter balancer it honestly doesn't stick out to me. As in I don't get on, ride, and think to myself wow this thing vibrates less. Point is, my 250rr doesn't vibrate much at all to me. Or at least I don't notice it.

13 hours ago, ballisticexchris said:

Typical Beta vibration. With old school motor it's like riding a CR500. Beta's vibrate and numb your hands in just a mater of minutes. That part of the article I agree with.

I don't agree with the "strong top end" statement. All the Beta 300's and 250's sign off very early in the power band. The KTM/TM 300's pull super hard all the way to the engine screaming like a go cart. The KTM 2T's also have almost zero vibration. 

It's really too bad Beta cant seem to get it right with their 2T bikes. I applaud the riders out there that can put up and modify the subpar quality and shortcomings of the Beta 2T's and actually win races with them. 

Give them a few more years and maybe they can catch up to the quality of other manufacturers. As it is right now the older 498 carbed big bore was the only Beta worthy of being race ready and reliable out of the crate.

Please don't take my word for it. Just ask Nick and Axle of Purvines racing why they dropped racing Beta's. They are in the business of winning races and they were both struggling on the Betas. Winning races but too many motor and FI replacements to keep the bikes running. The 480 FI models were just not up to the build quality and reliability of Yamaha's.

Old school motor? You talk about TM300, now that's a old school motor, loads of vibrations no bottom end and all go up top. Your era Ktm is notorious for vibrations, I had one and I can say the Beta vibrates a lot less.

I have finished Romaniacs silver class in 2014 on a Beta, won 2 overall national titles 15, 16 on Beta and finished the ISDE this year on a Beta. All I have ever done is added flag guards on my bikes and rode on, I think that's race ready reliability out of the crate. 

From a quick google that team are desert racers right? Beta bike has always been design for traditional enduro style events. Look to Europe and you will see that the brand are very successful. 

Ballistics pot stir worked again

14 hours ago, ballisticexchris said:

Don't know if your post was supposed to be sarcastic or if you actually believe all that. As a current Beta 300 owner and someone that has owned/ridden Ktm 300's and jap 250's...I have not found them to be down on top end power or vibrate more than other 2 strokes. In fact, my 300 is probably the smoothest running 2 stroke I've owned...smoother than my old 300xc and definitely smoother than my alloy framed yz. Powerwise, it feels pretty similar to all my friend's pre '17 Ktm's and Huskies which all run better than the '17+ ktm's.

It’s easy to mistake smoothness for being down on power. After 20 miles of real tight stuff your smile is widening. Smooth power is what people like about 300 2Ts. With the beta you can ride faster longer. IMO

Sounds like the motor vibrates like a weed whacker and the forks went rock hard. :huh:

1 hour ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Ballistics pot stir worked again

Again..   

Is this how pro Racing stated with the pot stirring? There’s a few possible players here.. lets get back to real chris is just playing but a bunch can jump in here and this all could evolve into krannies ktm ruining thread if we don’t watch out.

ok reset button . Play it straight now.  No even baby troll..

just talk straight about the subject.