Looking to upgrade F or Fx

I currently ride a 2000 426. Pretty much bone stock besides a power now and a shortened exhaust. I ride track (mostly the vet) and desert as well as my local hill. I have read almost every review out there and every thread I could find. I had a chance to ride both bikes but only for a few laps at my local track. Problem with the test is I haven't ridden in over a year and I'm way out of shape. So between being out of shape and jumping on a bike I have never ridden before I didn't get  the answers I want out of the test ride. I looking for any helpful input and experience. One thing I do know I will have to do with the fx is work on the suspension. I weight 230lbs and I could feel the bike bottoming on the jumps. 

Edited by Wesley Morgan
I currently ride a 2000 426. Pretty much bone stock besides a power now and a shortened exhaust. I ride track (mostly the vet) and desert as well as my local hill. I have ready almost every review out there and every thread I could find. I had a chance to ride both bikes but only for a few laps at my local track. Problem with the test is I haven't ridden in over a year and I'm way out of shape. So between being out of shape and jumping on a bike I have never ridden before I didn't get  the answers I want out of the test ride. I looking for any helpful input and experience. One thing I do know I will have to do with the fx is work on the suspension. I weight 230lbs and I could feel the bike bottoming on the jumps. 

I just started riding this year and bought an F. if I had to pick a bike for woods riding I would definitely go with the FX because the F stalls a lot in the technical trails and having to kick it is a pain.

I’m 300lbs so I had to replace the springs. The bike is great at the track but since I’m a new rider I probably would be more comfortable on a 250 but at my weight I didn’t want to chance it.

In hindsight I would get an FX because it will be perfect for the woods and at my skill level would still be fine on the track.

I have had both actully. I bought s 17 FX earlier in year and put about 10 hours on it and was forced to sell because of new baby. Now I’m back on my feet and bought a 16 F and besides not having the Estart I love the bike. I think it handles better in the tight stuff honestly. The fx has a really low 1st gear and is almost too low. I ended up putting a 52T rear on it because in the tight goat trails 1st is too low and 2nd too high. The 52 makes 2nd perfect. I’m also 300 lbs and did respiring as well. Now for the F it is feared taller so I am doing a 51T and just ordered rRekluse so it souls make a nice bike.

Selling my FX that's very well set up if you're interested.  Southern CA.

Selling my FX that's very well set up if you're interested.  Southern CA.

Do you have a link to a some info?

At 230 lbs., either bike should get the right springs and revalve.

If you are competitive in motocross, the F would be to your advantage. Otherwise, the FX would be more versatile.

Both are excellent bikes - have a ‘16 FX and sold the ‘15 F.  Truth be told, I wish I still had the F for the occasional moto track ventures, but the FX is superior everywhere else.  For 2018 I’ll throw some stiffer fork springs in and call it good.  The FX is by far my favorite bike of all time and I’ve had all brands except yellow. So, long story short, you do have to evaluate how you will be using the bike a majority of the time and pick the bike which is best for your situation.  I actually like the gearing on the FX - I run 13/49 instead of stock 13/50 and can run 2nd all day in the woods and 3rd on the moto tracks. I have to admit, I do use my YZ250 for most tighter hare scrambles or if there’s a mud fest forecasted. 

I have to admit, I do use my YZ250 for most tighter hare scrambles or if there’s a mud fest forecasted. 

Why is that?
Both are excellent bikes - have a ‘16 FX and sold the ‘15 F.  Truth be told, I wish I still had the F for the occasional moto track ventures, but the FX is superior everywhere else.  For 2018 I’ll throw some stiffer fork springs in and call it good.  The FX is by far my favorite bike of all time and I’ve had all brands except yellow. So, long story short, you do have to evaluate how you will be using the bike a majority of the time and pick the bike which is best for your situation.  I actually like the gearing on the FX - I run 13/49 instead of stock 13/50 and can run 2nd all day in the woods and 3rd on the moto tracks. I have to admit, I do use my YZ250 for most tighter hare scrambles or if there’s a mud fest forecasted. 

Well at this point I am leaning towards the fx. I try to get to the track 2 or 3 times a month to try and stay in shape. The track is way better then the gym. The rest of the time will be desert trips and riding in my local his behind my house. After test riding them both the fx will need big springs asap. It was bottoming out big time on the jumps.

Well at this point I am leaning towards the fx. I try to get to the track 2 or 3 times a month to try and stay in shape. The track is way better then the gym. The rest of the time will be desert trips and riding in my local his behind my house. After test riding them both the fx will need big springs asap. It was bottoming out big time on the jumps.

Sounds like the FX would be the best choice for your situation.

Rideharder - thanks for the question.  I like the point and shoot method in the tighter stuff and the 2 stroke works a little better there.  Also, in a mud race 4 strokes just seem to pick up more mud for some reason.  Although I have my 450FX at 246.5 lbs, the 221 lb bike is a lot easier to pick up when weighted down with clay mud.

IMG_0643.jpg
Pulled the trigger today

IMG_0643.thumb.jpg.fac92bd7d5ab393b43ee336bc586a892.jpg
Pulled the trigger today

Congratulations!

Congratulations!

Thanks I am excited. Can't to take her out.

IMG_0668.jpg

Went on my first ride with the new fx. This is a amazing bike. The hills behind my house offer a wide verity of terrain ranging from slow tight washes to wide open fire roads as well has all the factory test tracks. The bike did great but there will have to be some tuning on the suspension. It is a little soft for my weight and it is a little harsh on the wash board roads at slower speeds. All in all I am very happy with the fx. Thanks for everyone’s input.

IMG_0668.thumb.jpg.946642015f278c30fa6239cf5f27564a.jpg

Went on my first ride with the new fx. This is a amazing bike. The hills behind my house offer a wide verity of terrain ranging from slow tight washes to wide open fire roads as well has all the factory test tracks. The bike did great but there will have to be some tuning on the suspension. It is a little soft for my weight and it is a little harsh on the wash board roads at slower speeds. All in all I am very happy with the fx. Thanks for everyone’s input.

I’m glad you’re enjoying it! Congrats again. Some say the bike is heavy does it feel heavy to you?

I’m glad you’re enjoying it! Congrats again. Some say the bike is heavy does it feel heavy to you?

Not tell you go to load it in the truck. It’s feel much lighter in the turns then my 426.

Not tell you go to load it in the truck.

Lol

enjoy it , yamaha have the best quality and durability . FX is a fantastic bike for track as well , just re-valve the fork and booooom.