2001 WR250F front end wash out

New to the forum. This past week I bought a 2001 Wr250F in dang near mint condition. The engine was rebuilt recently and has 60 hours on it since it was new. Tires and everything are in great shape. Running dunlop geomax tires. I went on the first ride this weekend and the front end washes out so easily. The front bars jack-knife so easily. I noticed you have to dedicate your life into a turn. I gave all I had pushing into it and still washed out a few times. I weigh 130 pounds. Any help or tips? Ive been riding for about a year so I'm fairly new to this stuff. Ive looked on other forums but can't find anything this specific. I had a 1997 KLX300R and it never had any problems biting the dirt. I'm a trail rider too. Any and all help is appreciated. Nice to join the forum.

Is it a mx52 or mx52 front tire? In soft dirt or mud? The mx3s will grip better. You could lower the front end, raise the forks up in the clamps. You're light weight so you should soften the forks compression clickers that will put more weight on the front end into a turn, also use the front brake into a turn to compress the forks and slide up on the seat up against the tank, and put the front tire in the right spot in the turn.

Its actually a Geomax AT81 front tire. I will try softening the compression clickers as far as they will go down and go from there. I never thought about using the front brake in a turn, Ill try that too. Also how far should I slide the forks up? Any starting measurements?

Alot of people say the at81 isn't as good as the mx3s front tire. Turn the compression clicker out counter clockwise 2 or 3 clicks at a time and test, don't want to go too soft. I'd try 3 or 5 mm. 

Ill see what I can do about tires. The reviews for that tire really aren't great. Im going on a ride this evening so ill back the fork adjustment out 3 clicks and see how it does. Thank you for helping me with a starting point. I really appreciate it.

Back out the rebound adjusters all the way. Count the clicks. Ride the bike; carefully, as it will not want to turn. Add rebound until you get the steering where you like it.

• Like 2

So far I backed it out 4 clicks and it did fairly good today. I gave all my weight to the front on top of the tank through every turn. That helped a lot too. It’s mostly technique but I’ll see next big ride I go on. Thank you guys

Your original post mentions you weight 130lbs which would be lighter than what the bike's original spring rates are intended for.

The handlebars may be 'jack-knifing' simply due to too little rear sag increasing the steering angle.

Before any change in clicker, tire make/model etc. 

Measure the suspension sag and you'll likely discover the spring rates too stiff for you.

Second would be servicing the suspension (new oil, bushings etc.) which is unfortunately often neglected maintenance

and negatively affects handling due to binding forks, uncontrolled rebound etc.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 4

From what I understood when I bought the bike it has had new fork seals put in it. Are there any links or information you could point me to on setting up suspension sag? Both front and rear if possible. I’ll try to get that right and learn how to set one up

Go to you tube and google that. RMATV.com has some pretty good videos. Another good thing to do is call a local suspension shop and ask what they recommend as a starting point for your local area as far as clickers. I asked RG3 local guy here and he has emailed me, very helpful and I will be using his services for future work. If you have a service manual it also has helpful info in there. 

I’ve got the rear sag set perfect and rebound is good too... I think. With the forks I am confused as to how that is working. I backed out the clickers but they are so stiff it is crazy. They move very little. 2-3 inches is all I can get with movement. From what I understand there is a spring in there and I can also hear it compressing when I jump down on it. Should I be worried about bent forks? Since they don’t move very far. Are there any lighter springs I can install?

I would check the fork alignment 1st. Remove the front wheel and be sure the axle is sliding freely in the forks. Move 1 fork up and down till you found the perfect spot. Check the lower triple clamp is not over tight, it should be no much than "contact" (1.2 daN.m max). Reinstall the wheel without bending the forks (check forks alignment on youtube).

If it is not better it's time for service and maybe springs.

Okay guys here’s what I’ve found. The adjustments for everything on the forks was backed completely out. So I turned them all to the middle and restarted from there. I’m slowly getting it where I need it to be but it’s taking some time. Sometimes it still wants to wash out and sometimes it wants to bite like crazy. Also I raised the forks up in the clamps as far as they would go. The ride height suites me better too. Thank y’all. I’ll keep tuning till it gets right. I appreciate yalls help

On 26/11/2017 at 9:48 AM, tiny_dime said:

Okay guys here’s what I’ve found. The adjustments for everything on the forks was backed completely out. So I turned them all to the middle and restarted from there. I’m slowly getting it where I need it to be but it’s taking some time. Sometimes it still wants to wash out and sometimes it wants to bite like crazy. Also I raised the forks up in the clamps as far as they would go. The ride height suites me better too. Thank y’all. I’ll keep tuning till it gets right. I appreciate yalls help

I want you to try something, it may sound strange but you have nothing to lose and it's something thAt worked very well for me on those forks

Take the spring out of the left front fork and then ride the bike with all the clickers in mid settings, make adjustments from there and report back. 

This could be easily done without removing the forks.

1. Put the bike on a stand

2. Remove the handle from the triple clamp so that you can get to the fork caps

3. Loosen the top triple clamp bolts 

4. Loosen the left and right fork cap

5. Raise the front wheel up so that the fork springs come out the forks about 6 inches. Just put something under the front wheel to hold it up

6. Remove the spring on the left fork. Reffer to videos on YouTube as it relates to the KYB 46mm forks. There are many videos showing you how to disassemble these forks all you need to look at is how the top cap is removed in order to take the spring out.

Do not drain the oil and all those other things.

7.Reassemble and test ride

There are other mods that may be necessary after just to find time.

DM if you need anymore help