Making your MX bike a suitable woods racer...

Just getting back to riding/racing after several years off...when I was younger, and racing hare scrambles, I would just set my sag (105 rear if I remember correctly), soften the compression and go for it. Added hand guards as well.

Now that Im older (46) Im a little more interested in making my bike ('17 Husky FC250) as good, and forgiving as possible in off road riding/racing.

So Im curious what are some of the mods/additions etc people are doing to get their MX bikes best suited for this type of riding.

Thanks.

Also tires that are more suitable to terrain rather than MX oriented tires.  I'm seeing that the Kenda Washougal II is one of the best all around tires, my son is running them on his CRF450R and they work great in all conditions.

• Like 1

Here is what I did on my 2016 FC 350:

Hand guards (Acerbis Uniko vented)

Skid plate (Acerbis)

Rekluse Core EXP 3.0 clutch

52-tooth rear sprocket (+2 from stock)

130-psi in AER forks (140-psi for MX track), 15-out on both compression and rebound

Rear shock re-valve and softer 45 n/M spring for my weight (180lbs in gear)

I run Dunlop MX3S in the front and MX12 in the back. I know they are MX tires, but they have worked out very well in multiple terrains, from sand trails in Michigan, to clay/sand trails in IL, to clay/sand MX tracks. I like that I don’t have to change tires every time I decide to ride.

6 hours ago, Matt D said:

Here is what I did on my 2016 FC 350:

Hand guards (Acerbis Uniko vented)

Skid plate (Acerbis)

Rekluse Core EXP 3.0 clutch

52-tooth rear sprocket (+2 from stock)

130-psi in AER forks (140-psi for MX track), 15-out on both compression and rebound

Rear shock re-valve and softer 45 n/M spring for my weight (180lbs in gear)

I run Dunlop MX3S in the front and MX12 in the back. I know they are MX tires, but they have worked out very well in multiple terrains, from sand trails in Michigan, to clay/sand trails in IL, to clay/sand MX tracks. I like that I don’t have to change tires every time I decide to ride.

is the 350 a 6 speed? Ive heard talk of people going up a tooth or two in the rear...Ive only ridden mine a few times but not sure I'd want to do that. Probably need a few more rides in tight stuff to form an opinion. 

On my forks Im at -20 clicks compression, 130psi...thats feeling pretty good so far. (155-160 lbs +/- in gear).

On 11/26/2017 at 9:32 PM, Hammy-56 said:

is the 350 a 6 speed? Ive heard talk of people going up a tooth or two in the rear...Ive only ridden mine a few times but not sure I'd want to do that. Probably need a few more rides in tight stuff to form an opinion. 

On my forks Im at -20 clicks compression, 130psi...thats feeling pretty good so far. (155-160 lbs +/- in gear).

No, my FC 350 is a five speed. The FX’s are six.

• Like 1

Flywheel weight will really help in the low-speed woodsy stuff. Better low-end traction and torque, less stalling.