Considering '18 300XC. Bugs Worked Out Yet?

Love my '14 YZ450F and I'm keeping it for the track but I'm finding it the wrong tool for tight singletrack even after everything I've done to it. Considering a new '18 300XC as I'd like a 2-stroke and rode a '16 300XC and was instantly faster in the trails. This would be my first KTM. Curious to know if they've done a better job at dialling in the '18's jetting or if I'm going to find that an annoyance. New bike is already more than I was intending on spending so a Lectron isn't in the budget.

Love the electric start and ready to trail abilities of the 300XC over say a YZ250X but it's also $3000 more here in Canada so I want it to be worth it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hardwrkr13 said:

Love the electric start and ready to trail abilities of the 300XC over say a YZ250X but it's also $3000 more here in Canada so I want it to be worth it.

People have gotten the Mikuni running well I think.  No I don't believe the '18 is jetted any better from KTM.

Whether a 300 XC is $3000 better than a 250X depends on how much you value e-start.

Edited by redrider144

Many out there are running the Mik, the internet breeds hysteria. Same as the stock reed cage, lots out running bone stock and having a great time.

• Like 5

Long story short, it's sorted.  The Mikuni can be jetted crisp with the manual if you take your time, if not a JD Jet kit will also get you there.

Also know that the '18 isn't that much different than a '17, if you can catch a deal on a '17 XC then jump on it!  Use the spare cash to buy a JD Jet Kit and you'll be golden.  At the same time don't forget about the XCW's, the larger gas tanks let you go farther and you never when you might need that headlight.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, redrider144 said:

People have gotten the Mikuni running well I think.  No I don't believe the '18 is jetted any better from KTM.

Whether a 300 XC is $3000 better than a 250X depends on how much you value e-start.

In theory the 18's got "fixes", in theory...

I love my Estart, and there are truly more difference's between the 250x than just Estart.  I looked at one right before I picked up my new bike, both were dirt bikes, but a lot of the similarities ended there IMO.

OP, Demi nailed it, none of the bugs made things unridable, or no fun, just caused a nuisance for pickier riders and tuners IMO.  Get one, totally worth it.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, zig06 said:

Long story short, it's sorted.  The Mikuni can be jetted crisp with the manual if you take your time, if not a JD Jet kit will also get you there.

Also know that the '18 isn't that much different than a '17, if you can catch a deal on a '17 XC then jump on it!  Use the spare cash to buy a JD Jet Kit and you'll be golden.  At the same time don't forget about the XCW's, the larger gas tanks let you go farther and you never when you might need that headlight.

This is true, I got a great deal on my 17 thanks to the 18's showing up at my dealer.

• Like 3

Thanks for the replies. Price diff on a '17 is $2000 and on a '18 is $2500 over the YZ-X. The larger tank, estart, more power (I'm 220 without gear) is worth it to me to pay the  extra money. I just don't want to pay the bigger price and then have something I'm struggling to make work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hardwrkr13 said:

Thanks for the replies. Price diff on a '17 is $2000 and on a '18 is $2500 over the YZ-X. The larger tank, estart, more power (I'm 220 without gear) is worth it to me to pay the  extra money. I just don't want to pay the bigger price and then have something I'm struggling to make work.

KTM 300xcw is wayyyyyy more better than Yamaha YZ 250x, wayyyyy more.  I was going to buy a yz250x, but then I couldn't hang out in the ktm 2 stroke Forum which is also wayyyyy more better.  wayyyyy. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hardwrkr13 said:

A 300 makes no more power than a 250...Slightly more torque yes, but not more power... The YZ250X is a more refined package and for many is a easier solution simply cause there is less dicking around needed. I haven't met a KTM owner to date (including myself) that hasn't spent time dialing in/setting up their bike... 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Monk said:

A 300 makes no more power than a 250...Slightly more torque yes, but not more power... The YZ250X is a more refined package and for many is a easier solution simply cause there is less dicking around needed. I haven't met a KTM owner to date (including myself) that hasn't spent time dialing in/setting up their bike... 

Agreed.  On my '17 300:

• Stock reed cage / reeds got tossed in the trash.  
  • Carb -  I could have tuned the Mikuni but I already have a full assortment of Keihin jets and I didn't want to start over.  I ordered a 38 PWK AG from a 2016 KTM 150 

Get a 17 or 18 KTM 300 and throw in a $70 JD jet kit and ride.
Awesome bike.
I have done most of the upgrades people talk about on my 17 300 (Lectron, RK Tek head and V-Force reeds), but all they do is make a awesome bike "awesomer" .
The provided jets can be made to work if you have the patients, but the stock jets in the carb are pretty far off for most elevations and Climates.

Didn't the cases get update to for 2018 too? To stop the kickshaft housing from breaking? There's a 17 300xc that's tempting. But new cases are $1000. 

Edited by Beta_Man
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Beta_Man said:

Didn't the cases get update to for 2018 too? To stop the kickshaft boss from breaking? There's a 17 300xc that's tempting. But new cases are $1000. 

Google provides no information in wha yyur ddescribing, nor have I seen anything on TT or Vital either... Please provide a link to this problem? 

23 minutes ago, Monk said:

Google provides no information in wha yyur ddescribing, nor have I seen anything on TT or Vital either... Please provide a link to this problem? 

It's here if you got an account. 

http://ktmtalk.com/showthread.php?534836-17-idler-gear&highlight=Kick+start+case

Looked up the part numbers and seems like the 2017 is no longer available. Don't think ktm would change it after only one year if it wasn't a problem. Seems like it not very common, so I am still considering the 17 and save a few dollars  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2k1banshee350 said:

do the yz250x transmissions fail like the mx version?

Haven't seen anything on that. YZ250X transmission is YZ250 gears 1-2 and WR4XXF 3-4-5 so this combo may have solved that. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Beta_Man said:

It's here if you got an account. 

http://ktmtalk.com/showthread.php?534836-17-idler-gear&highlight=Kick+start+case

Looked up the part numbers and seems like the 2017 is no longer available. Don't think ktm would change it after only one year if it wasn't a problem. Seems like it not very common, so I am still considering the 17 and save a few dollars  

So this is a isolated problem...I wouldn't show any concern... 

they lowered the compression on the X so big booted enduro guys wouldn't break the kickstart shaft, of course 1st thing everyone wants to do is cut the head

• Like 2