i just did a full  top end rebuild, all new, had it running to idle , was idling for 10-15mins warm up then rode it for 30mins to break in put it away and came back next morning and it was seized up, im thinkin cold seize because of the weather and my storage not being heated. let me know more info if u guys know anythin thanks

Pipe temp means nothing, it is internal barrel temp.

At idle, oil pools in the crankcase and temps become localized and skyrocket. Transfer ports stay sport of cool, exhaust ports over heat. Idle time should be just long enough for the bike to accept throttle. Then you ride it gently to bring the entire engine up to temp. There are tons of threads on proper 2S break in procedures.

• Like 1

Pipe temp means nothing, it is internal barrel temp.
At idle, oil pools in the crankcase and temps become localized and skyrocket. Transfer ports stay sport of cool, exhaust ports over heat. Idle time should be just long enough for the bike to accept throttle. Then you ride it gently to bring the entire engine up to temp. There are tons of threads on proper 2S break in procedures.

oh ok thanks for the info, do u think it damaged the piston ? im going to take apart shortly

2 minutes ago, RideRed600 said:

oh ok thanks for the info, do u think it damaged the piston ? im going to take apart shortly

No way to know until the barrel is pulled. Some will only pull the pipe and look at the piston through the port but you can only see 15% of the piston so....

No way to know until the barrel is pulled. Some will only pull the pipe and look at the piston through the port but you can only see 15% of the piston so....

ill take whole top off
  • Like 2

cold seize doesn't have anything to do with the weather or storage, cold seize is when the piston expands faster than the cylinder due to insufficient warming up of the engine before hard riding.

• Like 2

I'm thinking the crankshaft is bad.  Did you check back and forth play in the rod/crank bearings when you rebuilt the top end?  Was your air filter dirty prier to the rebuild?  If the crank bearings are bad it will be seized so that could be it.  If not i have no idea.  :confused:

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, RideRed600 said:

piston is fine its like stuck

You cannot tell by looking at the top of the piston, you needs to check the sides. If the piston is seized to the barrel, getting the barrel off will be hard to do. If it slides off, then it is probably the crank. Remove the barrel.

• Like 1

You cannot tell by looking at the top of the piston, you needs to check the sides. If the piston is seized to the barrel, getting the barrel off will be hard to do. If it slides off, then it is probably the crank. Remove the barrel.

cylinder and piston is fine its deff the crank it doesnt even budge

12 minutes ago, RideRed600 said:

cylinder and piston is fine its deff the crank it doesnt even budge

Sorry to hear. Either get it rebuilt or a replacement crank. That sux.

If you can get a new rod and bearing, I can rebuild the crank for you. I run a MC/ATV shop in UT. For thumper talk friends, I like to help out for cheaper if I can. Either trades, or some $$. You will need to see if the rod bearings are trashed, or the side crank bearings.... Which means you need to pull engine and split the cases. Is that something you're comfortable doing? 🏍️

yea ive split cases couple times , im in NY , i jus dont want to put anymore $$ into this if i really dont have too u know