Putting the bike away for winter

I have a 300cc 2 stroke.  I'm putting my bike away for the winter, need some advise on what I should do with the gas in the tank. Does anyone have some good advise?  Add some fuel stabilizer? Drain gas tank and carb?  Or fill gas tank to the top and drain all old gas out in the spring?  Thanks. 

Edited by SMP220

I assume you will get varying response to this, sort of like an oil thread.  Personally I drain the carb, drain the tank, and push it in the corner.  My bikes get torn down to the frame and cleaned and greased, and a fresh top end every winter, having it all drained saves me time, and allows me to burn any leftover fuel in my garden tractor and leaf blower.

Yup, responses will be all over the map!

I burn ethanol free pump premium, so other than washing it off really good (so I can tinker over the winter) I don't do anything.  No gas stabilizer, I don't drain the carb or the gas tank ~ none of that.  And I don't try to start it over the winter.  My bikes never get started until I'm preparing for a real ride in less than a week the following spring.

drain carb, drain tank, toss the fuel in your car. I don't care what fuel it is, I don't trust it after 90 days, so just put it in the snowblower eh

I have to ask though, why do you guys put your bikes away for the winter? That doesn't sound fun at all. 

17 minutes ago, kickstand_ktm said:

I have to ask though, why do you guys put your bikes away for the winter? That doesn't sound fun at all. 

This is my winter race bike.   Frozen dirt and I don't get along.  

image.jpg

Edited by poldies4

Opposite for me, I have to put mine away all summer and pull it out in the fall to ride all winter!

7 minutes ago, poldies4 said:

This is my winter race bike.   Frozen dirt and I don't get along.  

image.jpg

I sold my fatboy this spring, the first winter I had it I rode it a ton, last winter I just couldn't get back into it. Between being cold, hot, cold hands, cold feet, etc I couldn't get into it. Now I just bought 9 acres and built a ton of single track on my property and I'm wishing I hadn't sold it. 

Winter time we usually make a few trips down to Tennessee or Kentucky, get out and ride on warmer days, etc. so I don't ever really put my dirtbike away for the winter. 

1 minute ago, kickstand_ktm said:

I sold my fatboy this spring, the first winter I had it I rode it a ton, last winter I just couldn't get back into it. Between being cold, hot, cold hands, cold feet, etc I couldn't get into it. Now I just bought 9 acres and built a ton of single track on my property and I'm wishing I hadn't sold it. 

Winter time we usually make a few trips down to Tennessee or Kentucky, get out and ride on warmer days, etc. so I don't ever really put my dirtbike away for the winter. 

I've been trying to convince my son to head south for a long weekend the last few winters, we usually ride indoor once in Ohio, but frankly I'm tired of that track, I'd rather ride some outdoor, or better yet some woods.

I have a love/hate relationship with my fat boy, and I agree, too hot, too cold, too wet, too dry, but it keeps me doing something active in the winter.  

Last winter we were riding in January and February at my track, hoping for another winter like that.  Congrats on the property, I've been looking for some for a while, hard to find the right place with the right price.

We don't usually ride much track, we're more woods riders but you're welcome to meet up with us down south if you want to join. 

Probably won't ride much moto at home until next summer, just because we don't want to tear it up too much and we also ride MTB on it. Plan is to build a track in the south 5 acres next summer. 

Sorry for the hijack! 

23 minutes ago, kickstand_ktm said:

We don't usually ride much track, we're more woods riders but you're welcome to meet up with us down south if you want to join. 

Probably won't ride much moto at home until next summer, just because we don't want to tear it up too much and we also ride MTB on it. Plan is to build a track in the south 5 acres next summer. 

Sorry for the hijack! 

Will keep in touch, worst case meet up for a ride next season!!

43 minutes ago, poldies4 said:

Will keep in touch, worst case meet up for a ride next season!!

down for sure, always up to ride with new people. 

My winter prep includes, giving the bike a good scrub down (to remove as much dirt as possible), clean/lube the chain, filling the gas tank (to prevent condensation in the tank), draining the coolant (to prevent corrosion) then putting it up on a stand so there's minimal weight on wheels.  Come spring time, I change the oil, dispose of the fuel (if it's past 6 months old) or burn it at low rpm, and refill the coolant.

I found if you drain the tank/carb, all the Orings in the petcock/carb dry out and start leaking once some fuel enters the system again.  If any of my bikes are going to be stored longer than 6 months, I'll drain the fuel system, disassemble the petcock/carb and lubricate all the Orings using petroleum jelly (Vaseline).

If my bike has a plastic tank, I drain the cab bone dry and use the 2 cycle fuel for the chain saw or the 4 stroke fuel for the snow blower. For my Road star Midnight  with the 5 gallon steel tank I fill it up and run the carb dry. The reason for filling it is if you drain a steel tank the inside will rust. At least here in the great Northeast:) Also leaves no room for condensation to build up in the tank. I also have no problem with the fuel not having stabilizer because the is so little I clear it by running with the fuel tap set on Reserve. The condensation settle to the bottom so it clears with nary a sputter.

2 hours ago, poldies4 said:

I've been trying to convince my son to head south for a long weekend the last few winters, we usually ride indoor once in Ohio, but frankly I'm tired of that track, I'd rather ride some outdoor, or better yet some woods.

Brushy Mtn in western NC has a much longer season, day passes are not too expensive, interesting trails.

I believe in the full tank of fuel, keeps condensation down. Real gasoline (no gasohol), with stabilizer. Better to keep riding, but once the trails are covered with snow and ice, I can't ride.

35 minutes ago, pat22043 said:

Brushy Mtn in western NC has a much longer season, day passes are not too expensive, interesting trails.

I believe in the full tank of fuel, keeps condensation down. Real gasoline (no gasohol), with stabilizer. Better to keep riding, but once the trails are covered with snow and ice, I can't ride.

Brushy Mountain was where I was hoping to go last year, couldn't convince him it was worth the drive, he prefers moto to woods, but I am trying to change his mind. 

And I agree, once the ground freezes my bike gets parked. 

I put sta-bil in the tank, ride it a little to make sure it gets in the carb, remove battery and air filter the put it away.  I try to keep up on the maintenance and repair all season so there is usually not muck to do.  Come spring I drain the fuel, disassemble and lube everything.  I use No-toil oil and grease on the air filter; I have found that if the filter is on too long the grease turns to glue.  Last time I tore the filter trying to get it out.  Oh, and I always wait until spring to change the shock and fork oil; I keep hoping that this will be the winter I get in shape and loose those extra pounds so I might need new springs.  So far 2 bikes andn 9 years with no new springs.  Maybe this year lol.

I have search for the answer for years and I now fill the tank with non ethanol gas and add stabilizer( no extra for good measure). Then I drain the carb bowl and leave the screw loosened for a day. This has given me the best results and is the easiest at one point I was even siphoning the gas out in the spring but that was overkill. I had the worst results when I tried to drain the tank even tried to look for videos which enraged me because the posters say just drain the tank. All my tanks have ridges in them so you can't get all the gas out and have to let it evaporate for days which I don't have time for or care for the stink in my attached garage. A full tank protects the gas by taking up air space and also the tank from rusting if it's metal. At one point I was starting and riding to warm up during winter that was a bit of a pain but worked. I moved and have a snow covered drive and salted road for 5 months of the year so I don't do that nor would I anymore.

Just voting for the drain the tank and carb crowd.  Personally, I wouldn't use the gas from a 2-stroke for my car or truck.  Even my lawnmower takes straight gas, no pre-mix.  So, I put it back in the gas jug with some Seafoam.   I have to do that in the summer though because of the stupid ass no-ride red sticker season in California.  Luckily, I have an old Honda 250X I can ride in the summer and it's a great bike too but my 300 is 'da bomb.

Lots of mixed reactions, but the choice that works for me is park it with a full tank premium high test, never use ethanol based fuel in your bikes, sleds, mower or saw. Drain the carb and park it.