Linkage Bearings

I am wounding if you all would replace there bearings or clean and re-grease? There is no slop and before I removed them they moved nice and smooth. I'm going over the bike because I'm selling it (06 YZ250) and don't really feel like spending the money if I don't have to. We all know the YZ bearings get dirty fast. I clean and grease them at least once a year and some times twice. They have not be replaced in at least 3 or 4 years(maybe sooner I don't remember).

IMG_20171119_131720325.jpg

IMG_20171119_131544960.jpg

looks fine to me, clean, pack'em put it back together.   Besides you are selling it, let it be the other guys problem :devil:

Inner race may be the only bad looking thing in the whole pile, but not past sevice limits. I would re-grease and run it. 

That's what I was thinking. I have not had time to pull the rest of them. if they are worse I'm going to replace. I hate selling junk.

If I were doing it I'd replace them, but that's just the way I am.  I too can't live with myself if I knowingly sell something that is below standards.  Karma it will come around.

Back on topic.  If you look them all over and see no signs of pitting or ghauling, you would most likely be ok to run them after a thorough cleaning and a good re grease.

Good luck.

2 hours ago, 400yzturbo said:

If I were doing it I'd replace them, but that's just the way I am.  I too can't live with myself if I knowingly sell something that is below standards.  Karma it will come around.

Back on topic.  If you look them all over and see no signs of pitting or ghauling, you would most likely be ok to run them after a thorough cleaning and a good re grease.

Good luck.

That is where he can see it, and we can't, and where they get replaced. 

On 11/22/2017 at 4:58 AM, cookiemonsterMoA said:

That's what I was thinking. I have not had time to pull the rest of them. if they are worse I'm going to replace. I hate selling junk.

Can't imagine you have hit a lot of water in AZ, but yah, any signs of that and you'll want to sell a good bike.

Factory Links on ebay are well priced. Can do the swing and link for around 100.

The bearings in the above pictures don't look bad at all. Grease 'em and run 'em!

Curiously, we have never had to replace linkage bearings. Once a year we pull the rear suspension off, clean & re-pack the bearings, and reassemble. The bearings always looked & felt the same, just like those in the pics. :thumbsup:

Twice, the shifter-side thrust bearing on the swingarm became rusted and needed replacing, but that has been it. I believe water can get trapped in there when the bike is left on the side stand. Keeping the bike on a box stand will help keep that from happening.

On 11/19/2017 at 0:54 PM, subxero said:

looks fine to me, clean, pack'em put it back together.   Besides you are selling it, let it be the other guys problem :devil:

Attitudes like this already takes the risky business of buying a used bike and makes it that more treacherous.  We need more mc owners that have integrity and don't sell their "problems" without notifying the prospective owner first.  

I don't believe in karma but there is something called integrity and more people need to have it.  

6 hours ago, Rodeojones said:

Attitudes like this already takes the risky business of buying a used bike and makes it that more treacherous.  We need more mc owners that have integrity and don't sell their "problems" without notifying the prospective owner first.  

I don't believe in karma but there is something called integrity and more people need to have it.  

it's a joke man, the bearings are clearly not in that bad of shape.  Could easily run them again, even if you get a half season out of them it's worth it especially if you are on a budget, stuff adds up.    Besides when you buy a used bike it is practically a given that it is going to need linkage bearings, and probably swing arm bearings as well.   I have only ever owned one used bike that when i took it apart didn't need the bearings replaced and have even had a few that were so bad i needed to replace the entire swingarm because the pivots were broken in some way shape or form.  It is what it is, when you buy a used bike you take nothing for granted, strip it replace and fix the carnage that you find, if you don't and something goes wrong it is your own fault.

For what it's worth I've ran bearings thrice as worn out as that.

18 hours ago, Rodeojones said:

Agree.

But we cleaned, re-greased, and reused the same linkage & swingarm bearings for 12 years ('96 CR250 & '96 YZ250). If anyone was to be burned by a lack of integrity it would have been us. :smirk:

I understand that everyone has a different perspective on wear and condition. We are seeing that in this thread. Discoloration may be a reason enough to replace a part for some people. For others, if a component is within spec they are fine with continuing to use it.

In our case, when it was time to sell the bikes, we were happy to show the prospective buyers that there were no clunks, knocks, or rattles in the wheels, steering, & suspension. We treated the buyers the way we would like to be treated, and the first person to see the bike would be the one who bought it... without bickering. 

On the other hand, when buying a used bike, we would go in expecting the bike would need a full tear down before doing any serious riding. This precludes the chance we are buying someone else's problem -- whether the seller knew of it or not.

On the other hand, when buying a used bike, we would go in expecting the bike would need a full tear down before doing any serious riding. This precludes the chance we are buying someone else's problem -- whether the seller knew of it or not.

This is exactly right. I say grease it and it's good to go. Just the fact that you took the linkage apart to check it before selling says it's probably better maintained then most comparable bikes for sale.

I suggest that you clean them thoroughly, then take a few pictures, grease them and take a few pictures, then reassemble and take a couple of pictures. It could be a selling point or keep someone from haggling less.

As CaptDan suggested, one shoul EXPECT a used bike to be totally trashed. It is 12 years old. Demonstrate through the pictures that YOU did (in at least one area :) ) take care of it properly.

And if possible, let the pictures be date stamped.

Ive been looking at used yz250's here In texas and lots of junk. I wish I could come across someone selling a bike like yourself, that actually cares about the bike enough to do a once over and put some labor into it before selling. In my opinion, I think those bearings are in decent shape, and if I were close enough id buy the bike knowing that you put those bearings back in it, cleaned and greased and id run them a season, then tear them down and inspect again.