Need help with fuel leak

I have a pretty good fuel leak from this brass piece.  I checked to see if it was the float...but I don't think it is.  I emptied the bowl and let everything drain.  Then when i turn the fuel back on it leaks immediately from the brass fitting here.  Doesn't appear it is leaking from the hose end, but the end closest to the carb itself.  I am just not sure how to replace this since it just rotates around freely.  Do I just unscrew the crew that is shown right by it?  That screw appears stripped so if I can get it off I will need another one of those as well.  Also what is the brass part called? 

Thanks

carb.jpg

Hello, what you need is the packing kit, which I believe is #2.There are 3 o rings on this brass piece and a screw who's head can be seen in the photo is just behind it, remove the screw and fuel line and pull out on this part.To remove the rings use a pick type tool to remove or break them then install the new o rings, don't sweat trying to get the first o ring to the bottom just fit it into the top groove and then the others will slide right over. It probable would not hurt to order up a new genuine fuel line and the proper stock clips for it,Hope this helps.

Yep, you'll need the gasket kit which includes those o-rings and the screw. So, # 2 & # 23.  You can try needle nose vice grips to remove the screw or, if that doesn't work, put a cut off wheel on a Dremel and cut a straight slot in the screw and use an impact driver.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

phillips head.jpg

Edited by HRC27
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, HRC27 said:

Yep, you'll need the gasket kit which includes those o-rings and the screw. So, # 2 & # 23.  You can try needle nose vice grips to remove the screw or, if that doesn't work, put a cut off wheel on a Dremel and cut a straight slot in the screw and use an impact driver.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

phillips head.jpg

Unless that screw is stripped beyond all belief the impact driver shown here will get it out. I have this same exact tool and it works beautifully when used properly. And the best part is that it is an inexpensive tool to purchase. I have a pricey Snap-On that I would not bother with if needed because this tool works better. Set the direction for counter-clockwise extraction, Bear down on the screw with the tool in one hand and then tap the top of the tool with a hammer. I have found for me a small 3lb hammer like this works best.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ludell-3-lb-Drilling-Hammer-with-10-5-in-American-Hickory-handle-11203/204326568?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|G|0|G-BASE-PLA-D25T-HandTools|&gclid=CjwKCAiA9MTQBRAREiwAzmytw_XuNPfIhneafxNEWwumjmnujHL58dkIxRwUK0XPyRsHrsbM35AYWxoCz7IQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CNmJovSAzNcCFQ98YgodTFIINA

Thanks everyone for all the help.  I do have an impact driver I can use.  I will try that first.

Also I attached the another picture....Is the screw that I "circled" #39 in the parts list?  That one is also stripped, so I might as well get one of those as well.

Inkedcarb.jpg.0dfc232deb0687dc9bdb31c228046d78_LI.jpg

Yes, # 39 or you can just go to Ace Hardware and get a stainless allen* head (less likely to strip) & washer.  Don't over tighten that one and you won't have problems with it down the road. 

* 4mm x 0.70 (thread)  x 14 (length)

Edited by HRC27
  • Like 1

When you get a new fuel line, consider getting a couple clamps from a CRF250X (pic is of a 2012 X).  Much easier to install and they have more "clamp" to them.

IMG_3990.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks for all the help.  One last question....do you believe that I will be able to find #23 at a hardware store as well?  I was able to get the gasket kit locally.  The other parts I can wait on, but I need to get #23 by this weekend.

30 minutes ago, aaarneson said:

Thanks for all the help.  One last question....do you believe that I will be able to find #23 at a hardware store as well?  I was able to get the gasket kit locally.  The other parts I can wait on, but I need to get #23 by this weekend.

Yes, for sure.  Again, get a stainless allen headed bolt/screw.  Just take it in with you, find a nut that fits it and that's your size/thread, find the bolts that size then match the length.

Edited by HRC27
  • Like 1

Thanks Robert for all your help.  I got it all fixed up and ready to go.  Appreciate it.  Now I can go ride this weekend.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, aaarneson said:

Thanks Robert for all your help.  I got it all fixed up and ready to go.  Appreciate it.  Now I can go ride this weekend.

My pleasure man. :thumbsup:

• Like 1