Snow riding?

I stay off the snowmobile club trails for that reason, plus they're flat and straight.
I'm in a place where we use our atv's to groom trails on private property, which are whooped out and fun as heck, we pull top soil screens or something similar behind the atv to flatten the ruts out, it also helps freeze up water holes. I do quite a bit of this to make the trail better for riding my bike and go grooming after we tear it up to keep the local sledders happy. Most of the miles on my atv are from grooming trail lol.

I just stay off the slead trails all the others are fair game there is plenty of places to ride without creating conflict near me that reminds me I need to go pickup a new snowmobile before the snow shows up
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, cdf450 said:

IMG_3243.jpg

How does a bike ruin a snowmobile trail that consists of 2-20' of packed snow??

I just made a set of these tires, curious why your front tire design doesn't have the cement screws down the middle?  They do stick out far. . 

45 minutes ago, cdf450 said:

IMG_3243.jpg

How does a bike ruin a snowmobile trail that consists of 2-20' of packed snow??

Alot of trails here go threw homeowners yards and property. They Bitch.. People just automatically think a dirt bike will tear up everything.  Witch it will if im coming threw :ride:  but they gotta ccatch me lol. Use to race a winter series when younger and freezing didn't matter. One off weekend I actually went riding with few snowmobile friends.  03' kx250 with trellborgs and hooks up on good trail . said  all they could see is snow roost and no bull id have to stop and wait for them. Open field tho different story ofcourse.  Point is snowmobile trails can be awesome in right conditions just dont get caught :ride:

Dirtbikes dig down much deeper than a snowmobile and make ruts in the trail that catch skis. Think about the people who are riding groomed snowmobile trails, it's not young guys on mountain sleds, it's younger kids, families, older riders that don't want a bunch of grooves cut into the trails that catch them and send them into the tulips. 

Dirtbikes dig down much deeper than a snowmobile and make ruts in the trail that catch skis. Think about the people who are riding groomed snowmobile trails, it's not young guys on mountain sleds, it's younger kids, families, older riders that don't want a bunch of grooves cut into the trails that catch them and send them into the tulips. 

So.... the snowmobiles are ridden by snowflakes who need safe spaces? [emoji106]
  • Like 2

I just made a set of these tires, curious why your front tire design doesn't have the cement screws down the middle?  They do stick out far. . 

IMG_3244.thumb.jpg.d5215484be9225f49f81b69df618679b.jpg

Cement screws are kind of expensive and are 1.25" which is too long for the fronts. That's the shortest length they come in

The front has no power going to it so plain ol ss screws will hold up forever. Also, the ss screws can be found in a 1" length

I've made fronts that have every lug with an ss screw in them and they worked just as good as my current ones, but way less work and easier to make. 3/8 Kold kutters down the centre two rows and all the side lugs.

The only thing I've noticed is these tend to track and want to go perfectly straight on some hard pack and ice. You need to fight them a tiny tiny bit to turn, but you don't even notice/care after a few mins once you get used to them and start to trust the tires a bit.

These are insanely fun and i recommend them to everyone. I've made over 40 sets so far and when I'm on days off, I've got 12+ sets to make. People love these things. It takes 2 hours per set. I've gotten good/ quick at it haha.

• Like 3

Hmmm. Interesting. We don't have those kinda groomed and packed trails in the mountains here so it's not a concern I guess. Everywhere is open to everyone, and everywhere is rutted/trenched from sleds anyways, which are usually blown over and buried by the next day anyways.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, cdf450 said:

IMG_3244.thumb.jpg.d5215484be9225f49f81b69df618679b.jpg

Cement screws are kind of expensive and are 1.25" which is too long for the fronts. That's the shortest length they come in

The front has no power going to it so plain ol ss screws will hold up forever. Also, the ss screws can be found in a 1" length

I've made fronts that have every lug with an ss screw in them and they worked just as good as my current ones, but way less work and easier to make. 3/8 Kold kutters down the centre two rows and all the side lugs.

The only thing I've noticed is these tend to track and want to go perfectly straight on some hard pack and ice. You need to fight them a tiny tiny bit to turn, but you don't even notice/care after a few mins once you get used to them and start to trust the tires a bit.

These are insanely fun and i recommend them to everyone. I've made over 40 sets so far and when I'm on days off, I've got 12+ sets to make. People love these things. It takes 2 hours per set. I've gotten good/ quick at it haha.

Thanks, I used 1-1/4 on the front and they do stick out real far.  Never tried this method before so I'm learning.  SS one inch looks perfect for next time.  I think I'll have 8 hours in by the time I'm finished with my set.  Ha ha oh well it's worth it, winter trail riding is a blast!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, billyreilly1020 said:

I live near Binghamton ny they don't groom most trails until you get up towards buffalo.
two years ago we got no snow but they already cleared the trails so somebody had to use them

We are neighbors lol ?

• Like 2

I used the tapcon screw method and IMO cheap a pretty easy to do and hooks up. Just don't get near the tires when they are spinning ?

Key thing IMO is really getting the holes in the tires straight and really making sure the nuts a super tight an recessed into the tire a s much as possible. Then a 6MM yoga mat cut up as a liner.

This pattern worked OK but I'm re accessing both pattern and method on my next set.

DSCF0244.thumb.JPG.ec18978f21d7388959a6d6d29e255389.JPG

DSCF0249.1.jpg.d06df96ed590607e59690856e05912a3.jpgDSCF0298.JPG.4c7adf93dd4813d141c83080ffac8165.JPG

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, cdf450 said:

What psi are you running in the rear?

My first try with the rear I flatted first ride with about 4PSI then cut up a UHD tube as as liner. Then flatted next ride and just ran at 0 PSI for about 6 or so rides cus there was so much tube in there IMO if didn't matter. Once I used the yoga about 4ish PSI and no not flat.

I think most of it was not getting the holes drilled in the tire straight then really getting nuts on deep enough so some of the screw heads where not really recessed deep inside the tire.

Otherwise looks like you are heading to Moab soon and trying to avoid at least early winter here ? I'm slightly jealous and hope you have a wicked time ?

51 minutes ago, filterx said:

My first try with the rear I flatted first ride with about 4PSI then cut up a UHD tube as as liner. Then flatted next ride and just ran at 0 PSI for about 6 or so rides cus there was so much tube in there IMO if didn't matter. Once I used the yoga about 4ish PSI and no not flat.

I think most of it was not getting the holes drilled in the tire straight then really getting nuts on deep enough so some of the screw heads where not really recessed deep inside the tire.

Otherwise looks like you are heading to Moab soon and trying to avoid at least early winter here ? I'm slightly jealous and hope you have a wicked time ?

why such a low PSI?   I had a customer run it at 14 PSI and got a flat... im thinking its his rim lock.

what impact gun did you use?  we use a milwaukee fuel.. she has NO problems burying the nuts as deep as possible, the inside of the tires look awesome and no crooked or protruding screw heads.

youre more than welcome to join us!!! I know not everyone can just up and leave for a week on such short notice. would be awesome though!  -22 and we got 30" of snow in fort mac today.  otherwise down by lethbridge is +5 and summer still!!

between my moab trip and the snowbike, I dont plan on riding studs this winter.... who knows.   I DO have a spare set of rims and tons of studdes tires kicking around. if im bored enough I might throw some on. its too damn fun.

11111.png

111112.png

IMG_3571.png

IMG_3573.png

• Like 2