KTM 105 Model year differences?

My son is bored on his KLX140 and so we have been looking into getting him a KTM 105. Thought about the 85 but everything I hear about it people say it’s a hard bike to ride for a casual desert trail rider. Has to much snap and doesn’t like to be lugged around. People tell me the KX100 or KTM 105XC would be a better choice. I see a few 105’s for sell but not sure what model year to look for. We want to be under $2500 and preferably under $2K because that’s about what we can get out of his KLX140. So I think I’m definitely looking sub 2010. So is there any major differences between say a 2004 and a 2010? Also how would this bike compare to a kx100? Also I see a bunch of SX bikes. Any huge differences between an SX and an XC? Seems I’ve read that the only difference is a kickstand and hand guards? Thanks.

Yes, the only difference between sx/xc is the kickstand spar on the frame.  

You can also buy an 85 and put a 105 top end and big wheels on it if you find a cleaner 85.  

My son has been on KX 85 and now a 100, my nephew is on an 85 xc.  Imo unless your kid is racing at a high level the KX is a better buy.  Less initial cost, very user friendly engine, even more so if you can swing a 14 or newer.  Make sure you research the KX's as they are great bikes.  

My sons first full size bike will be orange, but for now I am glad he is on green. 

Edited by poldies4
  • Like 1

I'll say this. I went orange because it was easier to go from small wheels to big wheels in my research. It also seemed a bit easier to find a big tank for it, I wasn't interested in an auxiliary tank mounted up on the bars or fender.  

I rode a handful of 105's and a handful of 85's before buying a bike for my son. I didn't notice much difference between the bikes (Ironically all were big wheeled bikes) and I ended up buying the 85. The 85 I wound up with felt like it would have plenty of low end grunt to cart myself up most hills, let alone my 70lb kid. (One of the places I rode it was at my parents when I dropped it off to be stored and they have a pretty steep driveway I rode it up and out of)

I can't compare it to the other brands, but I'm satisfied with paying a little extra (In the long run I really paid about the same when I look at all the bikes I considered; orange, blue, and green). 

I also started a thread on this, and there's some info in there, but what it boiled down to for me is knowing that the 2007-2012 (I think 2007, but best to verify that on your own, I was trying to look as new as possible and ended up with a 2012) bikes and the 2013+ bikes had some differences but none major enough to matter for my son and his abilities. 

Edited by kickstand_ktm
  • Like 1

We'v had yz85, crf150r,  ktm 85 (07 and 13) kx85, kx100....

Yz85 very good in the powerband but no power valve so really hard work when not on track. Smaller physically than the rest. Handled well. 

Kx 85 and 100 are both good quick bikes. The biggest problem we found is as they are cheaper than the competition they tend to get into the hands of people of either can't afford to run them or just don't know what they are doing maintenance wise.

Crf150 is a great all round bike. Lots of top end and easy to ride. Its' the only 4 stroke I can think of where even engine parts are really cheap. Really worth considering. 

The ktms were definitely our favourite and fastest.

The 12 onwards bikes have a upgraded crank (you can fit these to the earlier bike too)

The 12 onwards 85's are just as quick and torquey as a older 105. 

The 105 does add a chunk of torque but we couldn't feel any extra top end tbh.

The 12+ we had ported and cylinder head done and it could easily keep with a 125 as the bike was lighter and had a lighter rider. It was a animal for the cc. 

There' a lot of rough ones. Try buy from someone well off who bought it for his kid and barely used it. 

If you go for a older model just try make sure it' had the replacement crank fitted

We'v had yz85, crf150r,  ktm 85 (07 and 13) kx85, kx100....
Yz85 very good in the powerband but no power valve so really hard work when not on track. Smaller physically than the rest. Handled well. 
Kx 85 and 100 are both good quick bikes. The biggest problem we found is as they are cheaper than the competition they tend to get into the hands of people of either can't afford to run them or just don't know what they are doing maintenance wise.
Crf150 is a great all round bike. Lots of top end and easy to ride. Its' the only 4 stroke I can think of where even engine parts are really cheap. Really worth considering. 
The ktms were definitely our favourite and fastest.
The 12 onwards bikes have a upgraded crank (you can fit these to the earlier bike too)
The 12 onwards 85's are just as quick and torquey as a older 105. 
The 105 does add a chunk of torque but we couldn't feel any extra top end tbh.
The 12+ we had ported and cylinder head done and it could easily keep with a 125 as the bike was lighter and had a lighter rider. It was a animal for the cc. 

There' a lot of rough ones. Try buy from someone well off who bought it for his kid and barely used it. 
If you go for a older model just try make sure it' had the replacement crank fitted

Just curious what it would cost to have the crank done by a shop? I’ve done top ends in my 13’ 250XC and 14’ 300XC but never go into the bottom end stuff. That looks a little more intense.

Not very knowledgeable in KTMs myself but while back a forum member was looking into a KTM150XC for enduro usage

and was having a hard time finding one versus the more common SX.

Other forum members dug up infos on each model and by memory the ignition curve, port timing and compression was a bit different on the XC

favoring a more linear / less high strung output than the motocross version.  

5 hours ago, lacofdfireman said:

Just curious what it would cost to have the crank done by a shop? I’ve done top ends in my 13’ 250XC and 14’ 300XC but never go into the bottom end stuff. That looks a little more intense.

Around here the small local bike shops cost anywhere from 250 to 300 plus parts to split and put together the bottom end.  

It''s quite simple to do if you fancy a go doing it yourself.  A new complete later crank can be had for less than £150.

I think the cheap price just proves just how much of a issue it's been as the parts have come down in price as they'v sold so many of them lol

They are a good solid bike though.

13 hours ago, mlatour said:

Not very knowledgeable in KTMs myself but while back a forum member was looking into a KTM150XC for enduro usage

and was having a hard time finding one versus the more common SX.

Other forum members dug up infos on each model and by memory the ignition curve, port timing and compression was a bit different on the XC

favoring a more linear / less high strung output than the motocross version.  

In the big bikes 150+ yes that's true. 

For the 85/105 I've not found anything that supports that. 

Did you mean 105 instead of 150?

Yes typo!,
I meant to write KTM105XC as the OP is considering.

Seems like a few of the posts here are suggesting the KX100may be a more friendly trail bike for my son. We don’t race but just primarily ride open desert and then a time or two per year up at elevation in the pine trees. Nothing crazy technical though but enough you are needed at time to lug around a little.