Hey there, TT. What's good... you been partying? Hope so.

ANYHOW;

Ripping my new (to me) 00' XR-R on some fire roads last night up in the Lost Coast and WHAM! There went the chain! It took the OEM case saver and 1/2-3/4 of each mounting bolt with it... which was concerning, but not as concerning as if I had seen the oil draining from a nice new 'modded' hole in the case cover. Yay! (to cheaper repair) No! (to repairs at all) 

Few concerns I have about going through the repair process which seems fairly well documented:

1) Since I nearly sheared the bolts on the sides of the case, I presume that my bike will need the XR's Only case saver. Fortunately, it uses the rear engine mounting bolt to hold on, but still uses the two OEM mounts as well. The top OEM hole seems deep enough to drill easily... but:

How far can I drill the LOWER one to re-thread w/out punching my feared 'hole in the case'? 

2) I removed my countershaft sprocket as I sat there waiting for a my AAA flatbed, and noticed that about 1/2 of the countershaft sprocket splines were gone! Further, the retaining ring (w/ the two 10mm head bolts) was worn significantly as well, allowing the countershaft sprocket to do some proper movement...

Any suggestions on how to fix THAT? 

(I had this problem (#2) on an XR-L, and replaced with a PBI XR-R sprocket to limit wear, since the splines were longer... this seems a bit worse. I ordered, along with the chain, a Ironman front 15T sprocket to replace my worn PBI... but I dk about 'restoration' of the splines on the countershaft itself.)

Any ideas? / Pictures for the interested... as soon as I find a website that isn't Photobucket! 

I think the only thing you can do with the counter shaft is to split the cases and replace it.  If you could get it welded and remachined to make the splines correct, you would still need to re-heat treat the shaft and for that it has to come apart.  Will be a lot cheaper to just have it replaced.

I don't have any pictures of it (it was a long time ago) but I made a case saver after a similar situation (broke the chain during a race).  Took out both of the posts/threads that the stock sprocket cover bolts to.  I made my own out of a 3/4 wide strip of 1/8 thick flat stock.  Made a tab that mounted to the lower engine mount (like the XR's Only guard my buddy had on his R).  Bolted it on the top side to the mount for the upper chain rub block/subframe mount.  Obviously a little bending to wrap it around the way I wanted to and some minor grinding in places to clear the cases for clearance.  It was loud when the chain would hit it, but nothing was going to damage the cases again.  I eventually had the case rewelded to fix the stock mounting locations...

6 hours ago, _RaStA_RoCkEt_ said:

Any ideas? / Pictures for the interested... as soon as I find a website that isn't Photobucket! 

https://imgur.com/

It's better than Photobucket ever was.

I'm curious as to why the chain failed.  Improperly adjusted?  Master link failure?  Misaligned wheel?  Something else?