50 state street legal Beta's ?

I purchased my 2017 430 RR-S from Arizona a few months back, thinking I can register it in California, no problem, because they are 50 state street legal. I went to the DMV, they looked at the bike and I got a plate. Last week they sent every thing back saying it was non, compliant. Are the California Betas different than the other Betas in different states ? Will I have to register this bike as off road only !!

No it is not different. You have to make an appointment to show them the DOT/EPA sticker, which is typically under the seat.

Do not register it until you get all the stuff you need:

You can also get a letter from BETA USA and a copy of the Homolgation acceptance which is on CARB's website.

BETA is not on the DMV radar so they assume everything is non compliant. Same with Sherco, HM, Montessa, AJP, etc.

You have to hold their hand through the entire process. 

It might help to get a BETA dealer near you to help out.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, THE KRAN said:

No it is not different. You have to make an appointment to show them the DOT/EPA sticker, which is typically under the seat.

Do not register it until you get all the stuff you need:

You can also get a letter from BETA USA and a copy of the Homolgation acceptance which is on CARB's website.

BETA is not on the DMV radar so they assume everything is non compliant. Same with Sherco, HM, Montessa, AJP, etc.

You have to hold their hand through the entire process. 

It might help to get a BETA dealer near you to help out.

I looked on the CARB website and do not see a homologation list ? Would you know where to find it ?

3 hours ago, jcarlson9 said:

I looked on the CARB website and do not see a homologation list ? Would you know where to find it ?

I am pretty sure it changed to 'member only ' status as of a few years ago, sorry.

There is a 500s post with a screen shot of that page, some where in the Beta section.....

has the sticker like that behind the font fender, however since it was sent to Arizona, it doesn't have the part saying it's ok in California. I may be screwed !

Just now, jcarlson9 said:

has the sticker like that behind the font fender, however since it was sent to Arizona, it doesn't have the part saying it's ok in California. I may be screwed !

Can I barrow your sticker ???

7 hours ago, jcarlson9 said:

beta sticker.jpg

Look at the other side of the sticker? :p

So i went to the Ca. DMV yesterday. I took the brochure where it shows the RRS as 50 state street legal. The lady didn't know what to do, so she sent all the paperwork to sacramento for an expert to look at. I think I'm screwed. When it returns, i may be forced to sell it, out of state ! At least i have several months to ride it.

2 hours ago, jcarlson9 said:

So i went to the Ca. DMV yesterday. I took the brochure where it shows the RRS as 50 state street legal. The lady didn't know what to do, so she sent all the paperwork to sacramento for an expert to look at. I think I'm screwed. When it returns, i may be forced to sell it, out of state ! At least i have several months to ride it.

Call dealer and Betausa.. I had problems in 2009 in my state.. They had not got the info passed to them yet. ... but for California I guess they’re more unorganized? Your bike is legal but they have to learn it is I guess. 

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

On 11/26/2017 at 8:03 PM, motoxgiant said:

More than likely the California Treasury is just pissed that you bought out of state. 

That's not far from the truth. Any motor vehicle bought out of state with under 7000 miles on the clock can't be legally registered in CA. They sometimes slip through but not often.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Call dealer and Betausa.. I had problems in 2009 in my state.. They had not got the info passed to them yet. ... but for California I guess they’re more unorganized? Your bike is legal but they have to learn it is I guess. 

The ones Beta sends to CA. are different, and come with a california sticker on the frame. Mine doesn't have that.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, jcarlson9 said:

The ones Beta sends to CA. are different, and come with a california sticker on the frame. Mine doesn't have that.

So get beta to send you a sticker .. or whatever.. they’ll do it . Who have you talked to? Keep making calls till something happens.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

6 hours ago, ballisticexchris said:

That's not far from the truth. Any motor vehicle bought out of state with under 7000 miles on the clock can't be legally registered in CA. They sometimes slip through but not often.

Pretty close.  If the new vehicle does NOT meet California standards and has fewer than 7,500 miles it cannot be registered.  But if it does meet California standards you are okay.  Now maybe any vehicle sold in, say, Arizona, will automatically NOT meet California standards and you would be correct.  On that part I am not certain.  https://www.arb.ca.gov/html/master_faqs/vehicle_faqs/out_of_state_car_faq.htm

And rest assured, I am NOT a fan of any of California's politics.

NC

15 hours ago, NumberCruncher said:

Pretty close.  If the new vehicle does NOT meet California standards and has fewer than 7,500 miles it cannot be registered.  But if it does meet California standards you are okay.  Now maybe any vehicle sold in, say, Arizona, will automatically NOT meet California standards and you would be correct.  On that part I am not certain.  https://www.arb.ca.gov/html/master_faqs/vehicle_faqs/out_of_state_car_faq.htm

And rest assured, I am NOT a fan of any of California's politics.

NC

This is correct. From what I’ve learned from the DMV & CHP, once a VIN is attempted to be registered in Kommiefornia from out of state and has less than 7,500 miles on the odo, ( thus it’s considered “new”), it’s blacklisted, so in other words, you’re screwed! Another tidbit I learned the hard-way, do NOT register a new vehicle from out of state, less than a year after purchasing. Even with the required 7,500 miles, if you do, you’ll end up paying the difference in the original state’s sales tax rate vs CA. I had a real peach that I dealt with at CA DMV that was a total pain during the entire process of registering my Arizona FJR in CA. I had the needed 7,500 miles, all documents (I thought), but was forced to have the out of state dealer fax the sales tax record to her so she could figure the tax difference, which in my case was nearly $200. As I walked out the door, her parting shot was, “oh, btw, if you’d registered this bike next week, (making it over a year from the original purchase date) you wouldn’t be required to pay the tax difference. Thanks for the tip! 

Edited by desertrat28
  • Like 3