Oil pump malfunction -results

3 hours ago, wwguy said:

There's no problem with Beta's OI ECU fuel-map.  When everything is connected and the electrical system is stable the oil injection system works great.  So I'm not sure what purpose an external "adjuster" would serve.

The primary risk with Beta's OI is the overall fragility of the complex interconnected system components, including the hokey electrical system with the band-aided capacitor and diode pack.  Like GP said, the other issue is the lack of closed loop flow control and/or easy manual method to periodically verify correct flow (not just some flow or no flow, as suggested in Beta's OI Troubleshooting Guides.)

Adjusting the current flow "up a bit" or "down a little" can already be done with TPS adjustment, but nobody wants to do it because there's no way to measure "as found" and as left" flow measurements at any RPM, much less across the full TPS range.  Just my two bits from a controls engineer's perspective.

Somebody actually posted in defense of the Beta "Engineers." ??? 

You said you had experience with fire boats.  I'll bet they had anodes on the hardware, or the hardware became the anodes.  That's whats going on here.  Grade school copper electroplating experiment.

2 minutes ago, GP said:

You said you had experience with fire boats.  I'll bet they had anodes on the hardware, or the hardware became the anodes.  That's whats going on here.  Grade school copper electroplating experiment.

These Beta's are being used as watercraft? Man, they're one versatile piece of engineering! 

28 minutes ago, firffighter said:

They're really smart, just ask them

30 minutes ago, ckny said:

Engineers are the smartest dumb people I know. 

Yep! A lot the dumb ones bragging about their accomplishments and accolades post on these threads. Being a know it all and boasting is a persons way of hiding their own insecurities. 

17 minutes ago, ballisticexchris said:

Yep! A lot the dumb ones bragging about their accomplishments and accolades post on these threads. Being a know it all and boasting is a persons way of hiding their own insecurities. 

And some people are like the kids in day care, who are behind and late to talk.  They lash out in frustration and resort to biting the other kids.

• Like 1

Engineer definition: Someone who solves a problem you didn't know you had, in a way you don't understand.

In all seriousness, it's too bad these threads go so sideways rather than letting the issue play out to see some definitive answer or evidence.  

Instead it's just the same old stuff which just leads nowhere. 

One guy says he's got 200 hrs with OI with zero problems.  

One guy says OI damaged his piston at 50 hrs. 

So many other factors play into this and no one wants to address the factors that may lead to premature piston damage.  Owner's maintenance and how bike's been ridden are big. We've all seen newer bikes blow due to rider rider's inadequate bike maintenance and abusing a new bike. Not saying this is cause of any of these claimed OI piston damage,  but let's not assume it's OI failure immediately since there's just no way you can definitively tell. 

If a 5 year old bike that has no OI has 180 hrs and piston looks good that proves OI failure! 

All that proves is that bike is ridden pretty light hours each year. 

Bikes ridden in slow technical terrain vs all out in the desert are going to wear quite different obviously.  

No one will look at the numbers of units with OI sold vs units with true evidence that the OI did not pump enough oil and caused failure because that's the definitive evidence if there's real failure or not. Beta doesn't seem concerned about changing it and has sold thousands of units. 

Continuing to state Beta is required to do this due to Euro 4, proof please. Sherco and KTM aren't selling Euro 4 compliant bikes yet, so you are telling me Beta is the only manufacturer required to do so, or Beta chose to get ahead of the game 4 years in advance? 

Way too much speculation on these threads and I'd expect those who've been around the dirt bike world long enough would look at hard evidence over speculation of a widespread problem.  Again, how many OI units are out there, thousands, and we're discussing a handful of problems and some of those have zero evidence that OI was the cause. 

As so many have stated,  if it bothers you,  block it, mix and ride. If it doesn't bother you,  it doesn't bother you.  

Edited by firffighter

2 hours ago, ballisticexchris said:

There you go bragging about yourself again. I figured you got the hint. I guess it fell on deaf ears. No big deal. Continue with your rants.

Let me reiterate. 
True evidence of widespread failure due to engineering flaw is one thing and if that's the case,  huge issue.  
Poorly designed system with several possible points of failure is something different.  

IMG_0383.jpg

• Ud_Luz locked this topic