Steering bearings bad? or something else

I've noticed during a long riding day and through woops and deep soft sand, that my steering feels like it locks up and feel super heavy.  After I slow down, or when the bike is on the stand I don't notice any binding or looseness.   Notice it most after a long run through soft dry washes.  I've ridden for years and never experienced this and would assume bad steering bearings would only cause sloppy wobbly feeling. 

07 wr250f that's pretty stock- no steering damper - front shocks rebuilt last year with stock valving.  I've never touched the front steering bearings because they've never felt sloppy.

Shocks, Steering bearings, my body locking up, I don't know where to start?  I know this may just be my lack of knowledge here so any advise is appreciated.

Yamaha usually only puts only a light film on the steering head bearings.  It will dry out and feel notchy.  Vintage got it right ^^^.  We just did my son's WR450F the other day.  Notchy before, smooth as silk after we cleaned and reinstalled.  Not damaged.  His is an 06, so 11 years with no attention..... that's a long time.

Thanks guys... and I'll take the advice.  Although I don't have noticeable seizing, TT mentioned "notchy" which would probably better describe my scenario.  About 15 degrees of free play in the center and a tiny bit of friction outside of that, which is probably gets amplified while riding.  Probably gets locked into any deformations making steering feel heavy

I'll rip into the assembly and get a ride in it and get back with some comments.  Thanks for the input.