Sign in to follow this  

To old to become a pro?

im a 13 year old girl (turning 14 in a couple of days). Since i was 10, i have had an interest in motocross so a couple of months ago i decided that it was time to try it. About 2 1/2 weeks ago me and my dad got a deal with a motocross club close to where we live. I had 30 minutes to get instructions and to ride. After 10 seconds on the bike i loved it. I took all the things the instructor told me in, and enjoyed my 30 minutes on the bike. After the 30 minutes - that became to 45 because of how much fun i had, the instructor told me that he was impressed, and that i am already horse steps ahead of the other (few) girls in the club. On that short amount of time i learned all the basics. Gear, clutch, brack and i nailed it all (okay a little to much confidense ;-)). my top speed was 18.5 MPH on a 85cc in 2 gear. My question(s) is:

-Am i to old to start?

-Do i have time enough to become a pro?

I know its hard to answer, but i have NO idea if i still have time enough to become a pro. I think my advantages are that:

-Im a girl (so the competition isn´t just as hard?)

-I have a lot parent support. My dad is totally ready to go out and buy a dirt bike, and to help me learn how to fix it and all that mechanic stuff.

-I am fearless. Im "not carefull" on the track. Its just as fast, as high, and so "technic perfect" as possible.

-from i was 8-11 i rode the horse (i feel like it helped my body position).

I am one of those "if i want it, il get it persons", so to get in shape for the season 2018 im training fitness 3 times a week, shape and strength. I will be able to start riding in march. until April i will only ride 1 time a week. From April to August i will ride 3-4 times a week for four hours each time, and probably go to a summer motorcross camp. From August to march i can only ride 
2-4 times a month. And thats my "year circel" :-).

So do you think that i have a chance of becoming a pro in my 16-20 years old years?. If i keep on training hard, having the economy, and really wanting it?. Thanks in advance :-) 

Edited by cecilie
  • Like 4

Never too late to have fun 🙂, or become a pro.  At this point, you are just getting into it, and thats great.  Have fun, and learn.  Its not too late for anything.  There is a gal on Instagram, "megs_braap" who was posting videos a few year ago, in her 20s, learning how to get over a log.  Now she's sponsored by Husqvarna in some fashion and went to ISDE.

• Like 2

Never too old. But realize that just because you want to be the best, does not mean you will be.

Practice. Ride with skill. Speed comes with precision. Train. Eat right. Focus.

• Like 3

Go for it, ride as much as you can and get some training early as possible. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, YHGEORGE said:

Hmmmm

That statement is pure genius.  Or...was it a question?

• Like 7

Here's where you have to start...www.mxsports.com That web site will instruct you on the qualifying locations for the Loretta Lynn's Amateur Nationals. The will get you headed in the right direction. Your class would probably Girls (11-16) or Women (12+) Amateur.  Will depend upon your experience & capabilities. The Women's Motocross Championship (WMX) will be a part of that schedule but check their web site for more details. https://racewmx.com/

• Like 2

Plenty of examples, Bob Hannah didn't race 'til he was 18, Adolph Weil raced Gran Prix's into his 40's. Somebody's ALWAYS willing to say "You can't", It Really means They can't. 🙄

• Like 4

10 hours ago, cecilie said:

I had 30 minutes to get instructions and to ride. On that short amount of time i learned all the basics.

-I am fearless. Im "not carefull" on the track. Its just as fast, as high

to get in shape for the season 2018 im training fitness 3 times a week, shape and strength.

If i keep on training hard...

You've had a lifetime total of 30min on a bike, are fearless on the track and are now training 3x a week for the 2018 season ... that doesn't make sense to me. If I'm misunderstanding please forgive me, the math just doesn't add up for me here.

• Like 4

"You've had a lifetime total of 30min on a bike, are fearless on the track and are now training 3x a week for the 2018 season ... that doesn't make sense to me. If I'm misunderstanding please forgive me, the math just doesn't add up for me here."

i do understand what you mean. these 3 weeks since first time I tried it, I have only been out there 2 times. So yeah I can't Completly know how I am when I'm riding, I just meant that I just felt it... I just don't think that everyone who is out there for the first time will be as confident and secure as I was... and what I mean is that when the season comes I am gonna train 3 times a week.... but thank you for the answer, hope I understood it right ;-)

• Like 3

20 hours ago, cecilie said:

so to get in shape for the season 2018 im training fitness 3 times a week, shape and strength. I will be able to start riding in march. until April i will only ride 1 time a week. From April to August i will ride 3-4 times a week for four hours each time, and probably go to a summer motorcross camp

I kinda see holes in this. I don' understand what "shape" is? Does that mean you want to look good shape? If you mean cardiovascular shape, I would be more specific to your program. Unfortunately I don't think 3 days a week is enough... You have roughly 4 months to get 'somewhere'. I would spend the next 8 weeks on just strength and balance training, no cardio or very little. You need to do that at least 4x per week. The next 8 weeks I would work on balance, stability, core, flexibility and most importantly cardio, again 4x a week. 

As for the riding part, 4hrs a day is too long... Motos are only 15-20min, 2x a day... Maybe do 2-20min motos in the morning, work on a hour of practice such as corners, jumps, ruts etc and than 1 other 20min moto in the afternoon... 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Monk said:

I kinda see holes in this. I don' understand what "shape" is? Does that mean you want to look good shape? If you mean cardiovascular shape, I would be more specific to your program. Unfortunately I don't think 3 days a week is enough... You have roughly 4 months to get 'somewhere'. I would spend the next 8 weeks on just strength and balance training, no cardio or very little. You need to do that at least 4x per week. The next 8 weeks I would work on balance, stability, core, flexibility and most importantly cardio, again 4x a week. 

As for the riding part, 4hrs a day is too long... Motos are only 15-20min, 2x a day... Maybe do 2-20min motos in the morning, work on a hour of practice such as corners, jumps, ruts etc and than 1 other 20min moto in the afternoon... 

I do mean cardiovascular shape, but im danish, so my english isn´t on point. Im definitely gonna use your advice for training 4x times a week. Im also gonna try the 8 weeks of strength and then 8 weeks of cardio training :-). 

Thank you for the very useful answer!

• Like 1

Have fun first.  If it's to be, you'll know it.  It's a lot of work to compete at a high level.  If you're not having fun you'll be miserable.

I will warn you there is definitely a genetic component, at least for men, at the highest level.  I had a buddy when I was in high school in the 1980s that was very good.  Honda was looking at him and the first thing they did was send him for a bunch of tests with sports doctors.  For example, they tested his VO2 Max, lung capacity, etc.. Luckily for him his tests were all satisfactory.  But things like V02 Max (your bodies ability to utilize oxygen which relates to your aerobic potential) are genetic factors that cannot be changed significantly.

And this was in the 1980s.  It wouldn't surprise me to find out that in serious sports if they are doing actual genetic testing on kids at a young age now to determine if they are worth the effort.  It sucks but you won't see many 5 foot tall NBA players or Olympic swimmers with short arms.  

Doc

Edited by Doc_d
  • Like 1

You need to be sure your DAD is ready. Buying you a bike is about 1% of the time and financial commitment that he will need to be ready for.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, chadzu said:

You need to be sure your DAD is ready. Buying you a bike is about 1% of the time and financial commitment that he will need to be ready for.

yeah i know. But it was my dad who introduced me to the sport. He has been a motorcycle servant, so he does know quite a lot about the mechanical equipment, that we also will have to buy along the way, as well as the time we will have to put in to repairing and carrying for the bike. But of course its necessary that he is also (informed?) about the big commitment that it is. Thanks for the "reminder" ;-)

On 11/28/2017 at 2:54 PM, cecilie said:

im a 13 year old girl (turning 14 in a couple of days). Since i was 10, i have had an interest in motocross so a couple of months ago i decided that it was time to try it. About 2 1/2 weeks ago me and my dad got a deal with a motocross club close to where we live. I had 30 minutes to get instructions and to ride. After 10 seconds on the bike i loved it. I took all the things the instructor told me in, and enjoyed my 30 minutes on the bike. After the 30 minutes - that became to 45 because of how much fun i had, the instructor told me that he was impressed, and that i am already horse steps ahead of the other (few) girls in the club. On that short amount of time i learned all the basics. Gear, clutch, brack and i nailed it all (okay a little to much confidense ;-)). my top speed was 18.5 MPH on a 85cc in 2 gear. My question(s) is:

-Am i to old to start?

-Do i have time enough to become a pro?

I know its hard to answer, but i have NO idea if i still have time enough to become a pro. I think my advantages are that:

-Im a girl (so the competition isn´t just as hard?)

-I have a lot parent support. My dad is totally ready to go out and buy a dirt bike, and to help me learn how to fix it and all that mechanic stuff.

-I am fearless. Im "not carefull" on the track. Its just as fast, as high, and so "technic perfect" as possible.

-from i was 8-11 i rode the horse (i feel like it helped my body position).

I am one of those "if i want it, il get it persons", so to get in shape for the season 2018 im training fitness 3 times a week, shape and strength. I will be able to start riding in march. until April i will only ride 1 time a week. From April to August i will ride 3-4 times a week for four hours each time, and probably go to a summer motorcross camp. From August to march i can only ride 
2-4 times a month. And thats my "year circel" :-).

So do you think that i have a chance of becoming a pro in my 16-20 years old years?. If i keep on training hard, having the economy, and really wanting it?. Thanks in advance :-) 

Sounds like you have the potential. If you want it vo get it :ride: but id recommend starting at bottom work your way up you can get seriously hurt qiuck

• Like 2