My KX 250 is lowered and im 6'4, Help?

Bought my 2003 Kx 250 from a shorter, lighter kid that had the suspension done by EVO for mx.  I budget race woods, and the suspension set up for a 140 lbs mx racer actually does alright for me in the woods as I'm around 165 lbs.  The foot pegs were welded higher which I took care of, the forks were way high in the triple clamps which I took care of, but the seat sits much lower than I want it to, I can flat foot the bike with about an inch to spare. I don't really know how the work was done, is there a link or something I can just take out to raise it back up or was the shock cut or replaced with something to fit the previous owner? how do suspension shops usually go about lowering a bike? if its free/inexpensive to fix, I would like to do so, but if it cost any decent amount of money ill just suck it up and keep riding.  Maybe its just because I'm used to it, but it seems the rear end sticks better when corning compared to my friends bikes ive ridden. but its just too short.

Thanks, 

Jake

Cutting the seat foam and cutting the subframe are the two ways to lower the seat height.  If the foam has been cut a new seat is in order but if the subframe has been cut you could lengthen the down rods. 

Seat wasn't cut and I don't believe anything was done to subframe but I could look, ive heard of lowering links but don't know where they go or what they do. Thought the rear shock might also be shorter but I really don't know

I would check the shock and fork lengths to make sure there are no spacers in there.  

Perhaps contact EVO and mention the previous owner's name/infos as they might have a file of what was done to the suspension.

As crypto666 mentioned above, suspension lowering (the proper way) is commonly done by adding internal spacers.

Even with for lighter rider, it can also mean stiffening the damping as the bike now has less travel to absorb bumps before bottoming out.

Edited by mlatour

If the forks were shortened, then why pull them up so far??

Post a pic of the linkage (the rod things that connect to the shock).

The shock may have internal spacers installed. It limits the extension if the rod within the shock.

Can internal spacers be reversible/ removable? Here is a picture of the linkage, idk if it is shortened or not. Also a picture of the bike, as you can see it squats a bit in the  back.

IMG_0780.JPG

IMG_0781.JPG

IMG_0782.JPG

The 03 KX250 has a lower seat foam than the 04. You can get aftermarket tall seat foams from GUTS Racing, SDG etc. The stock fork height is 15mm above the top clamp. The linkage in your pic is the stock dog bones. Ive had several 03s and 04s from new. The shock may have been internally shortened.

Edited by Rob Aldakimov

With the rear wheel off the ground, measure from the center of the rear axle to the seat bolt.  Find someone with the same bike and compare measurements. Or remove the shock spring and compare rear suspension travel with factory specs.

If the shock was shortened, there's probably a spacer inside like the pic below.  It's just a limiting spacer, you can use them on forks too.  All you have to do is remove it, but this will require a complete shock service including recharging the bladder.

SEAT HEIGHT: 37.2"

REAR SUSPENSION TRAVEL: 12.2"

IMG_0684.JPG

Edited by Jeekinz