yz 250 street legal, supermoto

Hi guys i have some questions and would appreciate any help you guys may have. 

I have a 1998 yz 250 ive had for a few years thats been in the famliy for awile. I am doing a ground up redo on it this winter. 

Im geting a used frame because the one i have dosent have a title so i figured wile im at it ill get a 1998/1997 wr 250 frame so i can make it street legal.

I know the 98 wr 250 wasent introduced in the us but the 97 was and the yz 250 is the same bike from 96 to 98.

So my question is are the wr 250s the same ? Could i find a 97 wr250 frame and swap everything from my 98 yz 250 to it ? 

I wont realy ride it on the street much considering its not the best bike for commuting (by far) lol, but i figure if im geting another frame with a title miswell be able to throw my street tires on it and rip some twistes with it if i want to. Thanks for any help. 

First.. is your Yamaha two (YZ) or four (YZF) stroke?  I would say you'd have better luck asking these questions in the Yamaha sub-forums rather than the Supermoto side of the house.

Another problem is that the WR, even though it had a light, wasn't street legal in the US.  not until yamaha made the WR250R and WR250X, which are not the same as the off road models in any way or anything close to your two stroke.  The WR won't be any easier to title than your YZ.  its lights weren't DOT as far as i know(in the US).  The process to getting a title isn't that hard if you jump through the right hoops.  Step 1 is to check with your local DMV.  If the bike has been in your family awhile get the last "owner" to write you a Bill of Sale to start the process.  You will likely have to fill out some forms and have one or two of them notarized at a bank.  Then you can get an off road title.  from there its a process of getting the bike street legal and inspected by a state trooper usually.  If it passes the DMV usually has a form that will convert the off road title to a road use title.  Some states are easier than others.  Some don't allow it at all.  It pays to call and ask.

• Like 1