Piston Specs Wiseco / BBR / Wossner

9 minutes ago, chadzu said:

Mixxer be sure and show us the smoothing work you do

OK..  will do...

Sharp edges make for excellent places for cracks to arise from.... Stress risers...

Shot peening or polishing can change the surface shape and relieve surface tension to lessen the possibility of a crack starting...

1 hour ago, mixxer said:

OK..  will do...

Sharp edges make for excellent places for cracks to arise from.... Stress risers...

Shot peening or polishing can change the surface shape and relieve surface tension to lessen the possibility of a crack starting...

My buddy's 140-inch N2O HD engine has a lot of shot-peened parts.  He swears by it.

• Like 1

What a deal!!!!! Wossner piston and gaskets not much cheaper. Definitely not a Wossner as that’s a cast piston. I would buy one to have an extra cyl at that price. Better go look. 

It’s a cast just like a stocker is and looks just like a cast BBR piston.
  • Like 1

On 30/11/2017 at 6:13 PM, mixxer said:

Thanks Guy....

Maybe 69mm some day....

Between 4 teenagers and an eternal home restoration project.... I have limited time to attack any project of my own....

Between me posting this thread... And my 2nd post here... I told my wife she had a chance to buy me a big bore kit for Christmas...and she went for it...??

I kept looking for a decent BBR kit deal... Usually 140ish on eBay... But I don't want a single layer copper head gasket since I want the option to tighten squish and bump compression... And I kept looking for a good used 230 cylinder to have bored to 67mm ... I don't want the delay with my bike down while the cylinder is out for boring... Remember, I have become a princess in my old age...!

Soooooooo... Anyways....

I saw an Athena Bore kit on sale for 265 on eBay... Piston kit claimed 11.9:1 comp.. MLS gasket set...and new 67mm bore Athena cylinder...

So I thought that solves all my pains in the arse at one time....

Only one left on sale... Scored it!

No turning back now.... 

It says crf230f from 2007-2015 for fitment... But I figured I would roll the dice ... I sure hope there isn't a change that will make it not work on my 03...

I haven't heard anyone talk of using a complete Athena big bore kit on here... Guess I'm going to find out... I know it will be a Wossner piston

Great! My nephew's bike is running with one of that, since January, zero problems  so far ? is not forged, but seems to be good.. that info about the fitment compatibility, I think that was because of the Brazilian market, 230's just started to be available in Brazil as of 2007 ??

That is my reserve cylinder ??

20171203_230156.jpg

• Like 2

From my contact at Wiseco:

MOVED HERE:  

At least your new cam that you have (minimum) and an actual true 11-1 piston with zero deck height to be used in conjunction with a

.040 thick head gasket.

Stock bore, 66mm, 67mm? (1 of each size would be a plus)

• Like 2

This thread must have caused a run on the Athena kits..... i can't find one in stock anywhere. Im doing a build for a Christmas present and running out of time. Does anyone know who might stock a 67 piston (any brand) and also be able to do the bore job. I don't have time to wait for piston then send out for boring. My first thought was Terry Miller but can't get a hold of him right now. 

I just got mine and it looks like the real thing to me.

I have a few questions about it though. 

1. The paperwork lists the specs as 9.0:1 compression. Should I split the head gasket to get higher compression?

2. Mixxer, I dont want cracks either! Could you talk a little more about which edges you suggest knocking off?

3. Mine is a low hour bike. Is there anything else I should definitely replace while I have the engine open or should I just wait and see what it looks like inside.

I have my ST2.0 cam coming from Web, I should be starting my build first week of January.

Athena Big Bore instructions.jpg

I talked with Cometic and they discouraged splitting up multi-layer gaskets even though its commonly done. I think if you do,.. just remove the center layer that acts as a spacer.

I ordered their .018 thick metal gasket and some .010 base gaskets to correct the squish clearance with my BBR piston

Most people are riding around with almost twice the squish clearance they should. We'll soon see how much difference it really makes. but its hard to get an A to B comparison because the compression and cam timing also changes when you change gasket thickness.

I haven't had much luck getting solid copper gaskets to not weep oil.

• Like 1

This thread must have caused a run on the Athena kits..... i can't find one in stock anywhere. Im doing a build for a Christmas present and running out of time. Does anyone know who might stock a 67 piston (any brand) and also be able to do the bore job. I don't have time to wait for piston then send out for boring. My first thought was Terry Miller but can't get a hold of him right now. 

Terry does not have any access to Athena cylinder kits for a 230f, already talked to him.

ProX , Wossner And BBR 67mm pistons are plentiful about every where you look on the inner Web.

And all 230f solid copper head gaskets (its all I have ever used) from Mike Coe, BBR, Terry Miller, and CGU in Arizona have never l leaked, seeped or even gathered dust around the exterior. Plus they are reusable over and over again.

It’s no secret either but this stuff works.

I use Two thin coats on each side.

And all surfaces must be lapped [emoji817] % flat.

IMG_2466.jpg

IMG_2453.jpg

And they are in many different thickness also.

• Like 4

I just got mine and it looks like the real thing to me.
I have a few questions about it though. 
1. The paperwork lists the specs as 9.0:1 compression. Should I split the head gasket to get higher compression?
2. Mixxer, I dont want cracks either! Could you talk a little more about which edges you suggest knocking off?
3. Mine is a low hour bike. Is there anything else I should definitely replace while I have the engine open or should I just wait and see what it looks like inside.
I have my ST2.0 cam coming from Web, I should be starting my build first week of January.
5a32d58fb9c1c_AthenaBigBoreinstructions.thumb.jpg.fb1a6015bcad531b1a984743112df783.jpg

1) Yes, IMO: set up your Squish at .038-.040
Ricky Racer went as little as .035....
(He does not appreciate any carbon build up at all)

2) ALL sharp edges including valve reliefs.

3) have the intake port properly ported for “High Velocity”

4) use brand new rocker arms with your new camshaft.

5) degree your camshaft properly. Straight up if you want a little more top end RPM as the chain wears/stretches.
Two degrees advanced for a little more low rpm grunt and overall longer life engine performance as the miles and hours accumulate.
Perfectly Match the intake manifold to carb (with the clamp tight) and to the intake port on the cylinder head.

Good luck and Enjoy, many smiles await you.
  • Like 2