Knotcher

Mattawa Hill Climb From Sentinel Bluffs

26 posts in this topic

Or... the time I made a fool of myself on camera. I've been trying to climb this the last 4 times I've been out there. I kept count of the number of attempts.

5 people like this

Or... the time I made a fool of myself on camera. I've been trying to climb this the last 4 times I've been out there. I kept count of the number of attempts.

Roughly where is that? I have ridden Mattawa a few times but have not encountered this particular climb.

Would have been the end of it. It's steep at the end. Besides, the 300 can gut it out.

9 hours ago, ZsDadXCw said:

Roughly where is that? I have ridden Mattawa a few times but have not encountered this particular climb.

It goes from the sentinel bluffs back up to the road above. 

Sweet! Yeah the combination of the loose rock pushed off of the road and the fact it is just a little bit steep right at the finish on the road cut can stop you right at the top. I have been 10' or so from the top 3 times. Pretty sure I'll nail it next time. This is from a couple of weeks ago...

1 person likes this

Nice work, that's a tough hill...especially the very end where it gets a little steeper and is loose gravel from the road.  I rode up it a couple years ago and called it good!

I wanted to hit that this weekend but it was so foggy I couldn’t find it.  Visibility of 50 feet!

1 person likes this

On 12/1/2017 at 9:48 PM, Knotcher said:

Would have been the end of it. It's steep at the end. Besides, the 300 can gut it out.

Did you watch the video?
The bike bogged down and he bailed.
DOWNSHIFT before you get to that spot to keep the engine in the powerband.

In the end Alvin made it by keeping his momentum up and the bike in the powerband.

Did you watch the video?
The bike bogged down and he bailed.
DOWNSHIFT before you get to that spot to keep the engine in the powerband.

In the end Alvin made it by keeping his momentum up and the bike in the powerband.
I did watch the video. I am the one in the video. You know, the one that pulled it in 2nd on the last run.

Have you been up that hill?
1 person likes this

Sweet! Yeah the combination of the loose rock pushed off of the road and the fact it is just a little bit steep right at the finish on the road cut can stop you right at the top. I have been 10' or so from the top 3 times. Pretty sure I'll nail it next time. This is from a couple of weeks ago...

I feel ya man. That's what I meant when I told my brother that I was geographically close. The last 20 feet require momentum.

Keep at it. 30th time is the charm.
1 person likes this

Downshifting before that lip is probably just going to loop the bike. You need to be going so fast when you approach that, you just glide over it. As in all go pro footage, that hill is steeper than it looks, and man..it's a long sucker too!

At Mattawa, there are so many rocks in the sandy stuff. Doesn't look like much on camera but those things are plenty big enough to bobble you, toss you off line, or take you down. 

I went up a Canyon on Friday that grabbed me and sent me over the bars, but not before my left leg hit the grip. My leg looks like someone took a baseball bat to it, first bruise I've ever had that had blood actually come out of the skin. So now I'm limping with both legs. Thank goodness I have a comfortable seat on my bike.... and now you know why I don't stand all the time on the pegs....

I have made it about 3/4 of the way up that bad boy on my 200, always get tossed off my line. It's fun to try tho

You need to carry more speed on the downhill and commit more. Your trying to much to gain speed at the base of the up hill. I know the camera makes it look not as steep but that's part of your problem. 

You need to carry more speed on the downhill and commit more. Your trying to much to gain speed at the base of the up hill. I know the camera makes it look not as steep but that's part of your problem. 
Were I to go much faster than I did in the successful run I would bottom the suspension and lose control on the rebound on the face of the hill. The transition from downhill to uphill is quite abrubt. I know because I've done that too.

I'd welcome a demonstration otherwise.
3 people like this

1 hour ago, SmokinJoe said:

Have you been on that trail? You'd nut yourself, and hit your head on the bars. It's like a V. You can only hit the gas just as you come to the very bottom. Otherwise, it'd be pretty easy, and we wouldn't be here marveling at this really cool trail.  

3 people like this

No not yet I haven't I've ridden mostly over by the lower crab creek area. I know what the hills are like out there and that it's mostly sand with some rocks in the soil.  Lots of keeping it pinned and carrying momentum is needed out there. 

Maybe it's time to end my boycott and buy orv tabs again I haven't bought tabs since 2012. Love to hit that hill same with that one in Tillamook that supposed to be so hard called back to back. 

2 hours ago, SmokinJoe said:

Can't, those attempts I put on video are hard bottom-outs on the rear suspension in that compression. Once you start going up you need to gain some acceleration in order to have enough momentum to clear the looser/steeper stuff at the top.