THE KRAN

Total loss of compression, or Spark

271 posts in this topic

Felt like someone pressed the kill button.

No sputter.

Could not find any harness or fuse issues.

When unloading at the dealer I notices a large amount of motor oil coming out of the airbox on to the ground, so some seal somewhere blew and either contaminated the plug, or lost me my compression.    

3 miles into the ride, but fortunately it was all up hill, so I was able to coast all the way back to the truck.....

Bene, un altro fottuto problema dell'affidabilità della BETA è successo....

1 person likes this

Felt like someone pressed the kill button.
No sputter.
Could not find any harness or fuse issues.
When unloading at the dealer I notices a large amount of motor oil coming out of the airbox on to the ground, so some seal somewhere blew and either contaminated the plug, or lost me my compression.    
3 miles into the ride, but fortunately it was all up hill, so I was able to coast all the way back to the truck.....

Bene, un altro fottuto problema dell'affidabilità della BETA è successo....

BetaUSA needs to find out what's going on with this...many model years are doing this...even the 2018s....

2 hours ago, gaortiz said:

BetaUSA needs to find out what's going on with this...many model years are doing this...even the 2018s....

This is the first hearing for me. What other models and years are you talking about? I have a couple of Beta 4 strokes . Got any links? 

1 person likes this

This is the first hearing for me. What other models and years are you talking about? I have a couple of Beta 4 strokes . Got any links? 

2018, 2017, 2016. Seen it on Beta Motorcycle Facebook Group

What bikes? What group? Im in some groups on facebook.. I don’t know which site.. in USA ?? Haven’t noticed in USA yet . Kran is the first.

It's called Beta Motorcycle Group. I'm the admin on the page.
What bikes? What group? Im in some groups on facebook.. I don’t know which site.. in USA ?? Haven’t noticed in USA yet . Kran is the first.

Seen 430s and 500s mostly with the issue.
1 person likes this

Ok I guess Im in an Xtrainer group and another couple Beta groups.. not this one though. Thanks

Just approved you. Assuming you're Felix
1 person likes this

18 minutes ago, gaortiz said:

6 minutes ago, gaortiz said:

Just approved you. Assuming you're Felix emoji16.png

Yea Thanks! Been scrolling through and haven’t run across any yet .. cool site!! Got lots of Beta stuff!! Ive not been on Facebook much .

1 person likes this

Oil coming out of airbox is pressurized crankcase oil being pushed through crankcase breather/vent....

Usually a result of catastrophic engine failure...

4 people like this

2 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

2015 and later

When will you grasp the concept that not every single year and model is the same.....?

3 people like this

43 minutes ago, Wild Alaskan said:

yep the oil is tell tale of a serious piston failure

What?  You have no evidence to back this up regarding the Beta, do you....

....and what would piston failure, a total loss of compression, have to do with excess oil in the valve train area ??

1 hour ago, mixxer said:

Oil coming out of airbox is pressurized crankcase oil being pushed through crankcase breather/vent....

What??

It could be a simple as a blown seal or gasket....... or a oil passage or vent  blockage.

Edited by THE KRAN
3 people like this

5 minutes ago, THE KRAN said:

2015 and later

When will you grasp the concept that not every single year and model is the same.....?

Hey grumpy.. I know you shouldn’t be in a good mood but that’s why Im asking. I never said any year or model is the same.. That’s why Im asking which models and what years have had problems. You have to stop making up ideas of what I said. Just look at what my questions are written here.  Sorry your bike broke. Im just asking what other betas have broken referring to gaortz has referred to. So far I haven’t seen or read of other 4 betas strokes breaking. Hope it’s not a big thing.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
2 people like this

2 minutes ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Hey grumpy.. I know you shouldn’t be in a good mood but that’s why Im asking. I never said any year or model is the same.. That’s why Im asking which models and what years have had problems. You have to stop making up ideas of what I said. Just look at what my questions are written here.  Sorry your bike broke. Im just asking what other betas have broken referring to gaortz has referred to. 

:banghead:

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, THE KRAN said:

What?  You have no evidence to back this up regarding the Beta, do you....

....and what would piston failure, a total loss of compression, have to do with excess oil in the valve train area ??

What??

It could be a simple as a blown seal or gasket....... or a oil passage blockage.

someone already told you see below

1 hour ago, mixxer said:

the crank case vent is usually routed to the airbox on enduro bikes which is why the oil would potentially leak out there. do you need how a piston failure can cause crankcase pressure explained to you too?

6 people like this

10 minutes ago, Wild Alaskan said:

someone already told you see below

the crank case vent is usually routed to the airbox on enduro bikes which is why the oil would potentially leak out there. do you need how a piston failure can cause crankcase pressure explained to you too?

Oh, yeah, this should be good...

Piston failure causing oil out the vent tube, and nothing else, is not really possible....because the RING seal and vent tube are what hold the pressure in balance.

A worn out or stuck RING would cause a severe imbalance in crankcase pressure do to blow-by, forcing pressure up into the valve train, and oil out the vent tube.

A failed piston would cause catistrophic failure, which would of course have oil blowby as ONE of the issues.....hardly the 'tell tale sign'.... as the motor would lock up.....

Now to be fair, I suppose a 'failed piston' could only fail at a ring groove.....and not dismantle itself.....but I have never heard or seen such a thing.

Edited by THE KRAN
2 people like this

2 hours ago, gaortiz said:

I haven’t seen yet while looking on the site yet... Ill keep looking.... so are the symptoms exactly the same as Krans?There could be a wide variety of issues and it may be the same or it may not. 

15 minutes ago, THE KRAN said:

yeah, this should be good...

ok four stroke cycle:

1. piston moves down with intake valve open bringing mixture in to combustion chamber

2. piston moves back up compressing mixture (very little typically get by the piston during this stroke)

3. piston moves back down normally with compustion pressure above it

4. piston mover up with exhaust valves open completing the cycle

Now lets say we have a lot of blow by happeneing

1. is realively unchaged other than a little crankcase air can get above the piston

2. is where some pressure can be built as the air additional air that came through the intake valves can get squeezed in to the crankcase

3. if there is still enough compression for combustion of some sore tho occour this stroke can also result in more air and exhaust gases getting in to the crank case

4. is fairly irrelevant as the exhaust valve are open.

here is a demonstration of this concept, note the trouble he goes through with oil spraying out of the engine as the blow by increases

start at 3:50 if you are in a rush

Edited by Wild Alaskan
3 people like this